What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks lens install

morganjp

Well Known Member
Anybody out there got a clue how to install one of these without it cracking in 6 months?
Left side lens has been on the plane for 10 years with no cracks.
Ride side lens installed the same way has now cracked in the upper right quadrant 3 times in 5 years. The latest lasted 6 months and 60 flying hours.:mad:

Please advise if you know any secrets to this issue.

John,

Are you leaving smooth edges around the perimeter of the lenses? I mean really smooth - sanding the edges smooth with 220 or finer sandpaper?

How about when you drill holes in the lenses? Are you getting clean cuts and clean countersinks?

It is really easy to over tighten the screws. It also helps to use a soft washer between the screws and the plastic.

The dimpling on the holes is clean. I did not use that fine a grit sandpaper on the edge cuts. Anybody else use a soft washer between the lens and the screw. That sounds like it could help. Would the flexing of the wing cause more pressure on one part of the lens than another. No screw is tightened more than another but they always crack in the same place.

I installed in both wings and had one small crack (about 1/4?) develop in the upper right corner of one side which I believe was from over-tightening the screw. I stop drilled it and haven?t had any problems. If you can catch it early enough, stop drill with a 1/16? or smaller bit and it should be fine.

We should probably be using the same tyoe of attachment as motocycle windshields. Instead of a regular nut, the use a rubber expansion nut, similar to a boat drain plug.

Back