What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The paint job: NOW my plane is done!

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
20140610_154247_resized.jpg

More pictures of N614EF here.

Now I've got to figure out how to get up to Hibbing to get it. Anyone available on Saturday morning for a ferry flight from KSGS to KHIB? We need two aircraft.

Nice!

Having been a long time member of VAF (mostly lurking, but consistently), I have followed your journey for years. I have to say, that through it all and with all of the financial and health struggles, and times when you wanted to quit, you didn't... and now you have one of the most beautiful and performing airplanes in the world. Congratulations!

A flying work of art! (Where's the drool smiley?) :p

Right here.
drool5.gif

And, yes Bob, that is well worth drooling over.

Seems a paint/polish finish is getting a lot more popular lately, you have a great example of the way to do it.

Jeez, Bob.

..that looks FANTASTIC! I can't wait to see it in person. You gonna fly to Osh in it this year?

Bob,
I've been struggling with the paint/polish scheme creation for the last two years.

Well done. You are leading the pack.

It looks outstanding. :cool:

CLearcoat

Could you polish really nice and then clearcoat it so it would stay???? :D

Really nice looking Bob. And like Paul said "swift like" I have one on the field with the Blue EYQ.

Yes, I was really happy with the look. It's really important to have a designer who "hears" what you're trying to say. Ray Mattison, who subcontracts with Midwest, is really good.

My initial instructions were that the paint has to accentuate the polish, not the other way around. And the goal of the paint is to blend the fiberglass into the aluminum so there's not a defined spot where you can say "that's the aluminum, and that's the fiberglass."

I know I'm repeating myself, but seeing this plane at Oshkosh in '12 was the moment when I knew what I wanted.

IMAG0234.jpg

Obviously some modifications but the goal was a "classic" look updated.

Simply Stunning!

Hi Bob,

Just wanted to add my congratulations and compliments! Your plane is beautiful! I, too, am a long time lurker enjoying the site and cataloging ideas for my dream plane, and I have come to love the paint/polished aluminum combo. Thanks for posting! Hope you're back in the air enjoying your new plane very, very soon!

If you are thinking of giving up...

Hi Bob,

I don't post too much any more but had to come out of lurking mode to tell you congratulations on an awesome paint job and for sticking to your guns when others were trying to sway you in a different direction with the scheme. The ultimate award will be when no one wants to park too close to you at Oshkosh because you'll make their airplane look bad. Count me as one of those guys!

As for anyone considering giving up on their build, just do a VAF search for posts under Bob's log in name. You will be greatly humbled by what he has overcome. Again congrats.

I hereby nominate Bob for "VAF builder of the decade for perserverance and determination"!

Joe

Very nice!!!

Bob, looks really great. I was concerned with the concept of polished to paint but it looks sooooo nice.

Glad it is you that has to polish it:D

See ya next month. OH, BTW, it is NEVER done!!!!

Bob,
I'm more of a full-paint person (the glare that bounces off polished metal can literally be painful for me), but I do understand the allure polished airplanes can have. Your airplane is stunning, and I hope you get your medical back soon so you can thoroughly enjoy your labor of love.

Now my plane is done?

Your RV is beautiful........but I hate to break the news to you.... These machines are never really done!

Have fun with your new baby and bring her to Oshkosh for all of us to admire.

Oh, by the way, the Twin Cities RV Builders Group (formerly the Minnesota Wing of Van's Air Force) is having a fly-in/meeting on Saturday June 28 at Anoka in Minnesota (KANE -- also home to this Pete Howell character) around noon.

The topic is the planes of Midwest Aircraft Refinishers. Many of the RVs who've had their planes painted there will be on display and one or more of the guys (George, Ross, or Kris) will be around to answer questions.

So if you're looking for a little Saturday destination, you're more than welcome.

I don't know (probably not) if my plane will make it over because I don't have a safety pilot for the 15 mile flight.

polished planes

Bob,

One advantage of polished wings is that if you have to remove tanks for repair, ( See Doug's thread.) or to run coax, or an AOA system, you don't have to worry about your paint. I've had my right tank off at three times in first year and a half.

l'm also glad my avionics access covers are unpainted for the same reason.

John

Bob,
The plane looks great. I look forward to seeing it soon. Bring it to our June 28 meeting. Wishing you many enjoyable hours flying her around and having wonderful adventures.

Bermoe

Hi,

Could you give your hints for making such a shiny plane? My RV 8 will look quite similar, blue and polished aluminium, but will I be able to get such a beautiful result?
Congratulations

Fantastic look!

Bob,

I love it! And you, sir, have proven to be the poster child for perseverance! You have every right to be proud, and I am very happy for you. Now, go out and enjoy...

Bob

Hi,

Could you give your hints for making such a shiny plane? My RV 8 will look quite similar, blue and polished aluminium, but will I be able to get such a beautiful result?
Congratulations

the dirty little secret of polished airplanes is they look wayyyyy shinier in pictures than in real life. So, yes, you absolutely will be able to get that result. Polishing is not hard. Time consuming. But not hard. You just have to have the right attitude approaching it.

Like building, I consider polishing to be good therapy. It feels like one of the last remaining parts of my life I feel I can still control.

Last edited:
Back