What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anchor/Corner Nuts for AN bolt connections

csdominey

Patron
Have been considering using some nutplates in place of AN365 nuts for some AN3 bolt connections, but not finding the documentation to support the change. Neither Vans nor the supplier would comment. Am concluding that it any nutplate should only be used if the nut called out on the plans is specifically named in the interchangeability paragraph of the NAS standard of the anchor nut to be used. So, for example, the NASM25027 (K1000) spec would be good - since the AN nuts are called out in that paragraph, but the MS21055 (the one I would like to use) would not - only other NAS specs are called out.
I must be missing something - the 21055 is clearly for structural connections in tension. Thanks for any help.

I have no credentials but, personally, I wouldn't use a nutplate for a bolt in tension. Those deformed threads just can't be as strong as normal ones. FWIW.

Interesting delimma

The late Jim Wings suggested to me to use nut plates for the front bolts of the RV4 horizontal stabilizer for access. He had tested nuts and nutplates to failure to prove the substitution was viable.

David Howe (HFS) has shown 3M 2216 epoxy to be equivelant in shear to 3/32 rivets.

None of this substitutes for official data you seek. It just illustrates the qaulity of some of the RV builder community and one interpretation of EXPERIMENTAL.

Thanks for the comments. Those four vertical HS bolts are exactly the ones I was hoping to replace, but much too critical a connection to do without all the paperwork spelling it out.
Am dreading the neck and shoulder strain to get those back on, but so be it.
Cliff Dominey
Alvin, Tx

Back