What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL 50 hardwire to G3x touch- Help!!!

polkaking27

I just wired in my GDL50 using the bare wire connector) to my g3x touch. I decided to wire it in because whenever I connected via Bluetooth I wouldn’t receive traffic on my g3x.
Using the bare wire garmin connector and port 4602, I pinned the green wire to #29 and green/white to #13, then ran power and ground. When I power on the GDL turns on just fine.
What do I do from here??? I can’t find instructions ANYWHERE on how to configure the G3X to recognize the GDL50. Any advice or links to configuration instructions

I just wired in my GDL50 using the bare wire connector) to my g3x touch. I decided to wire it in because whenever I connected via Bluetooth I wouldn’t receive traffic on my g3x.
Using the bare wire garmin connector and port 4602, I pinned the green wire to #29 and green/white to #13, then ran power and ground. When I power on the GDL turns on just fine.
What do I do from here??? I can’t find instructions ANYWHERE on how to configure the G3X to recognize the GDL50. Any advice or links to configuration instructions
Polka,

As shown on page 27-24, configure the GDU 4XX RS-232 port connected to the GDL 5X/5XR to "CONNEXT 57600 BAUD".

Steve

Thank you so much for this, I'm not sure how I overlooked that. New question though... Would I set it up the rs 232 with the "connext 56700 baud" (it says that is for 51r/52r)
Or would I follow the rs-232 GDL39 protocol "Garmin Data transfer" since I'm essentially using the GDL39 bare wire connection and the portable GDL50 is not included on the first option?

Thanks again

Thank you so much for this, I'm not sure how I overlooked that. New question though... Would I set it up the rs 232 with the "connext 56700 baud" (it says that is for 51r/52r)
Or would I follow the rs-232 GDL39 protocol "Garmin Data transfer" since I'm essentially using the GDL39 bare wire connection and the portable GDL50 is not included on the first option?

Thanks again

You don't have a GDL 39/39R, so you should not use the configuration for those devices.

Use the "Connext 57600 Baud" configuration for the GDL 5X/5XR.

Steve

So I’ve connected that rs232 port to connext 57600 baud and I get the green check mark. Test flew it yesterday and I didn’t get any traffic input. Do I need to change both traffic and weather inputs to the gdl50 somehow.

GDL Traffic Information

So I’ve connected that rs232 port to connext 57600 baud and I get the green check mark. Test flew it yesterday and I didn’t get any traffic input. Do I need to change both traffic and weather inputs to the gdl50 somehow.

Good Morning,

Which transponder do you have interfaced to your G3X Touch system? Do you have TIS-A Traffic Data enabled in the Transponder Configuration menu?

Thanks,

Justin

It would also be good to grab a screen shot of your Traffic page so we can see what you are seeing that causes you to say "I didn't get any traffic input".

This is from my Aera 760 connected to a GDL 52R inside my plane, but my G3X Touch (which is currently using the GNX 375 provided traffic/weather) has a similar traffic page. The top left of the traffic page shows the traffic source which is being used (GDL ADS-B in this example).

Aera760GDLTraffic.png

You should disable TIS-A traffic on your GTX 23ES configuration. Your GDL 50 ADS-B traffic blows it away.

GTX Config.png

Steve

Last edited:
Hi All

John here from Australia. I came across this thread while looking for some help with my Garmin system.

I also have the G3X system and I’m adding a GDL50. I have wired it in through an RS-232 port and get the green tick, but in my traffic page I get FAILED.

I have set the Baud rate etc. But can’t get it to work.

If I link with Bluetooth, it works fine.

Any assistance would be appreciated as Garmin give very little detail on how to get it working.

Cheers
John

Last edited:
You should disable TIS-A traffic on your GTX 23ES configuration. Your GDL 50 ADS-B traffic blows it away.

Steve

Can you elaborate on this. I have TIS-a turned on in my G3X and regularly fly in ORD airspace which still has functioning TIS-a systems. Will I get better results by turning it off? I assumed multiple data sources were better.

Larry

Can you elaborate on this. I have TIS-a turned on in my G3X and regularly fly in ORD airspace which still has functioning TIS-a systems. Will I get better results by turning it off? I assumed multiple data sources were better.

Larry

Hi Larry,

An ADS-B traffic receiver like the GDL 50/50R/52/52R provides fast and accurate air-to-air traffic from all of the aircraft (most of them) now equipped with ADS-B Out transmitters of either type (978/1090 Mhz), and receives TIS-B uplinks from ground stations for non-ADS-B Out aircraft that only have Mode C transponders. In addition, all of Garmin's modern ADS-B receivers provide their excellent, and very useful, Target Trend traffic when used with Garmin displays.

Air-to-air ADS-B traffic is received anywhere in the country regardless of how remote or mountainous the area.

TIS-A traffic, by contrast, is only provided in very limited areas, doesn't benefit from GPS position, and instead relies on relatively slow and inaccurate radar scans to determine traffic position and re-transmit to Mode S transponders.

Your G3X system does not "merge" TIS-A and ADS-B traffic. Rather it only uses TIS-A in rare conditions when it has determined that TIS-A might be better than what is being received over ADS-B (when both are enabled).

We also have TIS-A in the KC area, and in my experience since installing a Garmin ADS-B dual frequency traffic/weather receiver in 2011, TIS-A is never better, and I never want my G3X system to switch away from ADS-B and use TIS-A, so I disabled it on my Mode S transponder in 2011. In 10 years of using ADS-B traffic, I have never seen a reason to enable TIS-A traffic.

Steve

Hi Larry,

An ADS-B traffic receiver like the GDL 50/50R/52/52R provides fast and accurate air-to-air traffic from all of the aircraft (most of them) now equipped with ADS-B Out transmitters of either type (978/1090 Mhz), and receives TIS-B uplinks from ground stations for non-ADS-B Out aircraft that only have Mode C transponders. In addition, all of Garmin's modern ADS-B receivers provide their excellent, and very useful, Target Trend traffic when used with Garmin displays.

Air-to-air ADS-B traffic is received anywhere in the country regardless of how remote or mountainous the area.

TIS-A traffic, by contrast, is only provided in very limited areas, doesn't benefit from GPS position, and instead relies on relatively slow and inaccurate radar scans to determine traffic position and re-transmit to Mode S transponders.

Your G3X system does not "merge" TIS-A and ADS-B traffic. Rather it only uses TIS-A in rare conditions when it has determined that TIS-A might be better than what is being received over ADS-B (when both are enabled).

We also have TIS-A in the KC area, and in my experience since installing a Garmin ADS-B dual frequency traffic/weather receiver in 2011, TIS-A is never better, and I never want my G3X system to switch away from ADS-B and use TIS-A, so I disabled it on my Mode S transponder in 2011. In 10 years of using ADS-B traffic, I have never seen a reason to enable TIS-A traffic.

Steve

Thanks for the input. Maybe I will turn it off, as I thought it was being intelligently merged or evaluated. I had always thought that TIS-a showed non-transponder traffic, yet in hindsight, I realize now that I have never seen a target without altitude.

Larry

John, I actually had the exact same thing to this a few weeks ago, and went through everything with the G3xpert gang. We were ready to RMA, but I wanted to check one last thing. I ended up figuring out that the GDL serial port RX receive pin was not fully seated, and intermittently making contact. I would check that pin, to make sure it's the right wire and is actually in contact. The GDU screen will show a green check solely because it is receiving from the GDL. But traffic and weather will not show because the transmit side of the serial line isn't getting back to the GDL. See if that helps.

Thanks for the reply.

The port looks good and seated. I am using Serial Port 2 on the GDU450. I can't even get to the DATA link page. :( It's greyed out unless I connect with BT.

Back