Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8iator View Post
Personal comfort level and familiarity with your equipment temper all these statements about single engine IFR.

There are a lot of pilots flying the Bonanza, Cirrus, 210, Corvallis, etc. that use their airplanes for so called HARD IFR. They didn't spend almost a million dollars to punch thru the clouds and go merrily on their way. I ask, what's the difference between theirs and ours if you realize we just flat DO NOT do ice and convective flying. You either trust it in the clouds or you don't.

For me, my airplane is a tool and I use it accordingly. It's equipped with multiple backup systems and I recognize its and MY limitations.

I do get a little peeved hearing it's not a suitable IFR platform. I have over 40 years of professional flying experience in the big stuff and fast stuff. It's a personal choice, not a mechanical one.

As for equipping it, legal and really usable are two vastly different expense levels.
It's a philosophical discussion, but I'll take a stab.

I think you just answered your own question. They have a half million dollars worth of airplane to do the job. I've flown all those you listed, minus the Corvalis, and they are much better IFR platforms than an RV. They have the panel size, the power, redundancy. With all those things, they still have the capacity to be useful.

If you want to empty your wallet to equip an RV as such, by all means. Mine is equipped as such, I'm starting to wish it wasn't. What I've come to find is that for a vast majority of the flying that people do with these airplanes, light and simple is what you want. Even just mechanically disconnecting the autopilot servos... the airplane handles just so much nicer. Sacrificing the beauty of how these planes fly, to load it up with thousands worth of gizmos you'll use a small percentage of the time.... like you said it's personal preference. If you want to equip yours as a tool to be used, go for it. I'm not saying you can't. The 8 however reminds me of, and has all the characteristics of a little fighter, and if I could make it 200 #'s lighter I would in a second. Mine is more of a toy that I'll use for small trips with the wife. The more I fly my 8, the more I realize I have less and less desire to fly it in the clouds/weather.

This is why I say build it, and decide later if you want the capability. When you realize what an amazing little airplane it is, you may not want to sacrifice all the things that make it great to load it up with IFR kit.

I didn't say it wasn't suitable. Suitable is determined by what is on the panel. However it's got such a light wing loading, and it's so light on the controls that a solid/stable platform it is not. All the things that make it such a beautiful airplane to fly.

Disclaimer, I haven't flown the 10 and statements don't apply. That was made to be more of a traveling family wagon.
RV-7, SOLD
Old 05-24-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
I've been flying IFR for nearly 25 years, and I have never put myself into a position anything close to the nightmare you describe. The capably-equipped RV (like mine) will handle the instrument conditions just fine. It's up to the PILOT -- not the plane -- to recognize his/her own limitations and abide by their own minimums...
Thankfully, most people will never have to face the challenge that I described. But, you do have to train and prepare for it. I have been in those conditions, fortunately it was with a crew and a jet. If I were setting up my RV for IFR there's no question that it would need to be equipped for that.

Most of the scenario is actually pretty easily managed. Autopilot with VNAV...dual independent PFD's (preferably different and isolated MFG's and Pitot/Static inputs), a third PFD with GPS/AHRS derived data, Throw in dual NAV/COM's, 2nd alternator, extra standby batteries, sick sack, and a good alternate or 2.

And most of all...REALLY good training and currency.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apkp777 View Post
Thankfully, most people will never have to face the challenge that I described. But, you do have to train and prepare for it. I have been in those conditions, fortunately it was with a crew and a jet. If I were setting up my RV for IFR there's no question that it would need to be equipped for that.

Most of the scenario is actually pretty easily managed. Autopilot with VNAV...dual independent PFD's (preferably different and isolated MFG's and Pitot/Static inputs), a third PFD with GPS/AHRS derived data, Throw in dual NAV/COM's, 2nd alternator, extra standby batteries, sick sack, and a good alternate or 2.

And most of all...REALLY good training and currency.
Tony,

I understand your points. My point is that I don't put myself in that position, i.e., I'm not flying if the forecast is anything remotely close to the ice and ceiling-minimums scenario you describe. When I had a SR22 and when I had a Bonanza, I flew them the same way. It's a personal choice. I choose to be conservative in my IFR flying. My RV is more than capable of doing what I need it to do.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Tony,

I understand your points. My point is that I don't put myself in that position, i.e., I'm not flying if the forecast is anything remotely close to the ice and ceiling-minimums scenario you describe. When I had a SR22 and when I had a Bonanza, I flew them the same way. It's a personal choice. I choose to be conservative in my IFR flying. My RV is more than capable of doing what I need it to do.

You are right Arlen, a good solid set of Personal Minimums should be the first step in IFR planning (and VFR also).
Old 05-24-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Tony,

Exactly. No one outside of the heavy iron world has training in flying close to thunderstorms - it's much too risky without real time weather, de-ice, second crew, etc. Avoiding them by a large margin is just common sense for typical GA aircraft.

Motels are for IFR flying, too.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:25 AM

Default IFR EFIS GPS vs Garmin EFIS Only Product

I currently fly Cherokee IFR with Garmin 430.

And a few pages back the pointed question of what certified equipment is needed for "legal" IFR and the answer included GPS.

So, I'm thinking why do I want EFIS with GPS since I've gotta have a Garmin 430 (or legal equivalent) anyway?

Isn't there a EFIS only product with auto pilot that will work with Garmin 430 and save me a few bucks on the price of the EFIS? Seems like all the EFIS makers are proud to include very cool GPS, maps, terrain, etc. But for legal IFR it can't be primary. It is just back up.

So in practice when I go fly IFR plan, I'll have to use the Garmin 430. My iPAD can do back. I need EFIS only solution coupled to 430.

Is there an EFIS only product out there?

thanks
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 05-31-2014, 11:31 AM

Steve, you wouldn't save any money with this stripped down product you're looking for.. plus terrain, and map are very nice features you actually really want to have As for internal GPS.. if it comes for free.. why not take it... Keep in mind these are cheap GPS'es (roughly $50 or so) so even if excluded, manufactures wouldn't really drop the price significantly.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:55 PM

With the GRT their vfr gps is an option. Not very expensive, but you can save a few hundred dollars and go without it. That is what I did. I do have a G420w for ifr work. But some still just use vors and save more, with less capability. Your choice.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglynn View Post
So, I'm thinking why do I want EFIS with GPS since I've gotta have a Garmin 430 (or legal equivalent) anyway?
As has been said, the price difference is very little GPS/no GPS. Why I like it - I fly behind the Dynon Skyview, and even though I'm very happy the SV map now overlays my 430 route/approaches, I fly VFR much more often than IFR. Other than a simple direct to, the SV is much more friendly for on the fly changes/adjustments. What was very nice (before AOPA "upgraded" their online flight planner) is when I was able to save routes to a thumbdrive and load and go - can't do that with a 430 - not easily anyway.

Unfortunately I can't find anything free that will export .GPX

Build: http://hhav8or.blogspot.com/
Old 05-31-2014, 05:28 PM

Default EFIS Only or Legal EFIS GPS for IFR

Yea you hit the point. If the EFIS makers couldn't sell EFIS only for much less price than current models with GPS then I guess EFIS with GPS is what we get and add a Garmin 430 (or equivalent) for "legal" IFR.

Course this begs the question, couldn't EFIS GPS be deemed legal IFR for experimentals? They work just as good, maybe better. And I'll bet they would pass the same test criteria. Seems inconsistent that experimentals can have non-certified equipment, but when it comes to GPS, it doesn't count. Do VOR receivers have to be "Certified" for legal IFR in an experimental? I don't think so? So why do GPS'es have to be "certified" in experimentals? But I guess this is a question for the government, FAA etc,. Maybe over time this will change.

thanks
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn