-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:44 PM

All this means is that some of you have incorrectly set up equipment These numbers are what your equipment is *sending out* -- so if for some reason you have the most accurate GPS, but your TXP sends out NIC value of 0 (like in Mehrdad's case) you'll "fail" -- minimum acceptable value is 7 (less than 0.2nm)...

Quick edit: As Brian pointed, having your transponder's "GPS Integrity" set to 1E-5 (or worse) will produce too low of SIL values, and will make you look non-compliant (aka "fail"). Garmin's new manuals show the correct value 1E-7 (SIL=3 which is then compliant).... If you have compliant equipment (ie 330ES with 430W or 650), it should be configured this way.

Last edited by Radomir : 05-30-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:47 PM

No, these values are not at all related to receiving ATC services. This is strictly equipment configuration (and performance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaib View Post
I wondered about this, too. Since my flight was VFR with no flight plan and no ATC involvement other than the KEVB tower, I am wondering if this is showing that they have no way of knowing if my reported position is accurate?
Old 05-30-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Thanks for the info. I requested a report and quickly received one but not sure what this means. I had been under the impression that my set up is in compliance since my source of location is a 430W. Does anyone know about these fields and what they mean?

ADS-B report by bavafa1, on Flickr

I can e-mail the report to those who are interested and/or can make out what the report indicates. I am a bit at lost as why my system is failing on location accuracy and intergrity.
Mehrdad - given your NIC/NAC performance suggest checking that your GNS 430 and transponder software are at the correct version level.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:47 PM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm117 View Post
I also provide outreach to the aviation community related to the installation & maintenance of ADS-B systems. My arrival to the Vans forum was spurred by the latter of these and the knowledge that many who have already equipped with ADS-B are unaware that the system is not working properly. I've had little success with the alphabet groups when seeking to publish material that would be helpful to members such as those here. So out of frustration thought I'd go VFR direct (so to speak) to a large group of the GA community and provide assist as able.
Thank you for doing whatever it takes to share what you know with the flying public! As a pilot who works for one of the experimental EFIS manufacturers, I really welcome your feedback and knowledge. Maybe you can help shed some light on some of the mysteries we've been seeing, like Jay and his ADS-B issues: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=113414

I thought we had the details nailed down for all the settings and equipment required for ADS-B broadcast now, before 2020, but stories like Jay's make me wonder if we have something wrong or if the system is still just quirky.
Rebuilt most of SNF tornado victim RV-3B Tony Boy II (had to sell him, but he's flying!)
RV-9 93281 tail kit has arrived... here I go again!
VAF Dues Paid 2021!
Old 05-30-2014, 04:00 PM

Brian,
As I have a very similar panel to yours and I did not do very well with my "Integrity & Accuracy Check" I would appreciate if you could share anything you find out. I assume you are already talking to Steve
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 05-30-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieB View Post
Thank you for doing whatever it takes to share what you know with the flying public! As a pilot who works for one of the experimental EFIS manufacturers, I really welcome your feedback and knowledge. Maybe you can help shed some light on some of the mysteries we've been seeing, like Jay and his ADS-B issues: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=113414

I thought we had the details nailed down for all the settings and equipment required for ADS-B broadcast now, before 2020, but stories like Jay's make me wonder if we have something wrong or if the system is still just quirky.
Just to add a bit of info, I requested (and received) this report this afternoon, and my system (Trig TT-22 Mode S transponder, Skyradar, and GRT Horizon HXr) failed, utterly, in precisely the same way as the fellow on page 1. My "Integrity and Accuracy" failed in six out of eleven categories, 100% of the time.

Trouble is: The report is made up of incomprehensible (to me) acronyms, with no advice on what, if anything, should be done to bring the system into compliance.

Katie, I have forwarded a copy of the report to Ben and Jeff (as well as to this group's one Walt Aronow) in hopes that they can provide interpretation and advice.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:06 PM

Post ADS-B Out Software and Settings

Hello,

For those using Garmin IFR navigators and transponders, the Position Integrity setting in the transponder configuration should indeed be set to 1E-7 to result in SIL=3, and the software should be at least to the versions identified below:

GNS/GPS 4XXW/5XXW (e.g. GPS 400W, GNS 430W, GNS 530W)
Main software version 5.03 or later and GPS software version 5.0 or later

GTN 6XX/7XX (e.g. GTN 650 and GTN 750)
Main software version 3.00 or later and GPS software version 5.0 or later

GNS 480
Main software version 2.4 and GPS software version 5.1
Aviation Service Document

GTX 23ES and GTX330ES Transponders
Main software version 7.04 or later (V8.04 released in 2019)

The RS-232 serial output port on the GNS or GTN unit providing position data to the transponder should be set to "ADS-B+" or "ADS-B+ Format 1" when available.

The RS-232 serial input port on a GTX330ES transponder configured to receive ADS-B+ position data from a GNS/GTN unit should be set to "REMOTE".

Just a quick reminder that those of us without an IFR navigator and using the G3X VFR WAAS GPS receivers only (built into the GDU 37X and GDU 46X displays) to provide data to our 1090ES transponders will have the Position Integrity set to "VFR GPS" on the GTX23ES configuration page or 1E-3 on the GTX330ES configuration page to reflect the non-certified nature of our position source.

Let us know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 12-01-2019 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added GTX330ES serial port configuration.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:22 PM

Default Fail as it should .... probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhoneck View Post
Just to add a bit of info, I requested (and received) this report this afternoon, and my system (Trig TT-22 Mode S transponder, Skyradar, and GRT Horizon HXr) failed, utterly, in precisely the same way as the fellow on page 1. My "Integrity and Accuracy" failed in six out of eleven categories, 100% of the time.

Trouble is: The report is made up of incomprehensible (to me) acronyms, with no advice on what, if anything, should be done to bring the system into compliance.

Katie, I have forwarded a copy of the report to Ben and Jeff (as well as to this group's one Walt Aronow) in hopes that they can provide interpretation and advice.
Unless you have a Navigator like the Garmin (or other appropriate certified systems) then if you set it up correctly, it SHOULD fail as the level of precision of the "position source" is not known to be "adequate".

Not a big deal for the moment. But for 2020 compliance ducks will have to be in a row.

My system "fails" miserably as well. But I know that it is because of the configuration settings that I have. I do NOT have a 430W or 650 at the moment so I knew that would be the case.

The GOOD NEWS is that the FAA is taking all this in and exercising the system and this allows us ALL to get value out of the investment we all as citizens are making.

James
APRS
Old 05-30-2014, 04:22 PM

Jay, since you do not have certified equipment, your report should show you in the "fail" category. So what you're seeing there is normal for non-compliant setup.

Do note that Trig's transponder is not yet certified with Garmin's GPS's (such as 430W or 650) so even if you had that setup, you would not be officially compliant... though, that config is expected to be approved by this summer (end of it?).
Old 05-30-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radomir View Post
Jay, since you do not have certified equipment, your report should show you in the "fail" category. So what you're seeing there is normal for non-compliant setup.

Do note that Trig's transponder is not yet certified with Garmin's GPS's (such as 430W or 650) so even if you had that setup, you would not be officially compliant... though, that config is expected to be approved by this summer (end of it?).
Thanks for the info!