What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual PC680 on RV-7(A) or RV-9(A)

terrye

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed two (2) PC680 batteries on an RV-7(A) or RV-9(A)? I searched the forums and found some on RV-8(A) but that's all. Would appreciate pictures if you have them.
Thanks in advance.

On a 6A ... yes.

Has anyone installed two (2) PC680 batteries on an RV-7(A) or RV-9(A)? I searched the forums and found some on RV-8(A) but that's all. Would appreciate pictures if you have them.
Thanks in advance.

On my *unfinished* 6A project, I have what is effectively the AeroElectric Z-14 configuration. The mounting and wiring of components on firewall and feed to dual busses is done.

Contact me via jclarkmail -<<at>>- gmail.com for details.

James

I'm not around my pics but yes, I have 2 PC680s on my 7A. I have 2 separate master switches and except for those switches they are electrically isolated from each other. They are mounted on the upper firewall behind #3 cylinder and I attached a charging pig tail to each one separately so I can reach them through the oil door. I made my own battery tray with aluminum angle hold down "straps" all tied to the firwall with additional angle bracing on the cockpit side to help it hold up the extra weight to 6gs. They are one in front of the other in the tray. I'll look for pics whenI get home.

Yes, I have...

...it was back in 2003 with the Subby engine.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The charging of 2 batteries with 1 alternator was controlled by EXPBUS with the dual battery option. It worked well. It was mounted on a slightly raised platform with the fuel lines running under it. Final install included a fiber glass cover over the 2 batteries.

Below is a photo of my right battery install and the battery solenoids (2) and the starter solenoid. The left battery is in the mirror location on the left side. Vans bat. boxes located vertically so i can just barely get the batteries out of the box. My cg is pretty far fwd. Suggest u consider a prop lighter than my hartzell ba prop, or go with li-fe batteries.

IMG_3559.jpg

Last edited:
I have two PC680s on my firewall too. The front of the battery box on the left side is cut open and hinged on both side to make battery replacement easier (not my original idea). I have fixed pitch prop so it is lighter. I have no WB issues. I can go from solo, minimum fuel, no load to gross without getting out of the CG limits.

Wiring diagram

IMG_5660.JPG

Installation picture

IMG_7665.JPG

Battery box with hinges

IMG_7663.JPG

Looking from above, battery will not come out from top.

IMG_5732.JPG

Aux solenoid installed below master solenoid.

Thanks all for the pictures. The mirror image of the left battery to the Van's right battery installation is an attractive option and would be my first choice. The hinged front battery box also makes sense. I guess I should have mentioned I will have a constant speed prop, and my concern with the mirror image left battery installation is that it will interfere with the prop controller cable. I'm still assembling the forward fuselage, so I don't have the engine, engine mount, prop cable or PC680 box to decide on a location, but I'm trying to plan well in advance. Can the prop controller cable and cable mount be clocked or installed so that it misses the left battery box?

Counting rivet holes on the drawing, looks like it will work. You may have to move the control cable holes slightly higher. Use your main battery hardware as templet and try it out on the left side before you drill the holes. Battery box has to open from front.

Back