Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2020, 07:23 PM

Solved! It seems that there never really was an issue...when the unit sees airspeed but no GPS ground speed it gets confused and displays all kinds of obstacles which is what those lines are.

Too bad it can?t deal with that but I?m glad there isn?t an issue with the unit.

Thx for all the replies!
Old 06-08-2020, 08:35 PM

So if your GPS fails in-flight, that's what you get?
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 350+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600 QUICK Panel.
Manual Flaps. (KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis,floats.
2020 dues gladly paid.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:57 PM

This is strange. I have a GRT Hx. I?ve tested the pitot using the Hx and a vinyl tube over the pitot, inside the hangar where there is no gps signal. I never see those lines. I do lose synthetic vision since it doesn?t know where it is.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:33 AM

Default strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshball View Post
Solved! It seems that there never really was an issue...when the unit sees airspeed but no GPS ground speed it gets confused and displays all kinds of obstacles which is what those lines are....
Did they see that picture? It's hard to imagine that they would think this is normal...

I had a pitot static test done on mine inside the hangar and didn't see this. My hanger may have allowed some GPS signal in, since it's quite old, and has some plexi tiles for light.

I have not tested something like this while disconnecting the GPS antenna or covering it with multiple layers of something that will prevent a signal from coming in, but I might.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
Did they see that picture? It's hard to imagine that they would think this is normal...

I had a pitot static test done on mine inside the hangar and didn't see this. My hanger may have allowed some GPS signal in, since it's quite old, and has some plexi tiles for light.

I have not tested something like this while disconnecting the GPS antenna or covering it with multiple layers of something that will prevent a signal from coming in, but I might.
Just to clarify...I am getting a GPS signal in the hangar...just no movement. When the issue starts you can actually see the flight path marker start moving and go off to the right then disappear as the bars show up.

GRT has seen the pic, a video and a few more pics and are telling me it is normal but it still seems strange.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:48 AM

The same happens to me. Seems the AHRS is confused when it gets airspeed data but the gps says it is sitting still. That?s different than losing gps altogether. The AHRS synthesizing a lot of data and freaks out when it doesn?t fit, apparently.

Not an issue in the air. I have lost gps in flight briefly and the display was rock solid.

Chris
Old 06-09-2020, 08:51 AM

do these lines show if you actually increase altitude?? The pic posted shows you're "flying low" so obstacles are an issue..