What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bergen Safety Cable Tool

As much as I hate doing lock wire, the $489 for the tool might be worth it. It's one way to instantly have a lot more friends needing to borrow tools :)

I’m a fan. After 45mins in an awkward position (like upside down) trying to get your fingers where they need to be to install safety wire, the cost of safety cable no longer seems like an issue.

As was pointed out in the prop post, these tools are invaluable to the professional. It's typically hard to justify for the weekend warrior, but I wouldn't give mine up for the ease and time saved. Don't forgot the consumables are also pricey at about $1.50 per cable, depending on material required for the job

Sounds like the perfect Xmas gift! Thanks for the feedback. I'm putting this on my wish list.

Ha ha. What a coincidence. Just yesterday I finally bit the bullet and bought a DMC (Daniels Manufacturing Company) SCTR327 rotary Safe-T-Cable tool and expendables. And you are right. Buying directly from DMC is cheaper than buying from a dealer like SkyGeek or Mouser. I have noticed the same phenomenon with Snap-on tools. Buying direct from Snap-on is cheaper than buying the same tools from a dealer on Amazon or eBay. Go figure.

I went with the 7" nose piece for access to areas like Hartzell prop stud nuts behind spinner backplates. The rotary version of the tool allows for custom tentioning of the cable, unlike the non-R model. The "R" is in the model number right before the numbers. I also got both standard and elongated ferrules and cable lengths that accommodate the 12" working length required for the 7" nose piece.

Jim

I have two Daniels safe-t-cable crimpers. Occasionally the tool is too bulky to use, even with the extended nose, because when you want to use it its in a tight spot. Otherwise I just safety the old fashioned way. In a few cases I crimped the ferrules with a pair of needle nose vise grips, and cut the tail off manually. So you can get a bag of .032 cables and ferrules for $40 on ebay and be on your way without the tool.

Like Timberwolf pointed out. Take that eBay listing and add the cost of a nose piece and nose piece retainer and you end up with a used worn unit close to the cost of new.

Well, I am a tool nut and never met a tool I didn't like.
However, my airplanes are built to WWII standards. As I have posted elsewhere, a good neat safety wire job is a sense of pride for me, takes little time if you know what your doing, and I will never question the calibration of my "tool".
Lets not go down the path another thread has with people arguing if a safety is even necessary.....
Cool tool, but I just don't think I would use it and I like the look of a well done safety wire.
Thanks for posting though. I can see the allure.....

I purcased the Bergin version of cable tools and love it more every time I use it. I share it with anybody who wants to try it in our old fa*ts club. One of the best aircraft purchases I have invested in.

Back