What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Right Angle Sharpie Marker

HFS

Well Known Member
I saw the other day in an airplane magazine - SA/KP ? (don't remember) about someone bending a Sharpie marker to make it more "user friendly" for those hard to reach places.

I thought I should offer my solution:

Take the tip out of the Sharpie barrel (needle nose pliers - easy), and make a "handle" that meets your needs - connect the two, and voila:

Yes - you can't mark a line 5 miles long before running out of ink, but you can mark short distances before the tip empties. If that happens, just reinstall it into the barrel, take the end cap off, and (gently) blow in the open end to "refill" the tip. Wash, rinse, repeat.

HFS

Attachments

• Sharpie - Right Angle Marker (Exploded).jpg
    Sharpie - Right Angle Marker (Exploded).jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Sharpie - Right Angle Marker (Assembled).jpg
    Sharpie - Right Angle Marker (Assembled).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 278
Nice post!

If a suitably sized washer is added it makes a good spacer line maker for matching baffles to the cowling.

Sharpie

Good idea.
Anyone know how to get a Sharpie to draw more than one line. I constantly fight with getting them to write. They stop like they dry up but there's plenty of ink inside.

Good idea.
Anyone know how to get a Sharpie to draw more than one line. I constantly fight with getting them to write. They stop like they dry up but there's plenty of ink inside.

Probably my biggest daily gripe! I've got marks all over my "jigs" from trying to get it started. My second biggest gripe is that from "ultra fine" to "fine" is a huge jump in line size.

Good idea.

I put a drop ethanol (denatured alcohol actually) into the cap and reinstall leave in the cut standing tip down. I leave it for a while and seems to work for a bit. Reasoning is that the ink has dried and capillary action is reduced in the tip?? OK -total guess.

Good idea.

Someone on here mentioned that blue lasts longer than black. I’ve tried it and I believe they are correct!

Squiggly marks

Probably my biggest daily gripe! I've got marks all over my "jigs" from trying to get it started. My second biggest gripe is that from "ultra fine" to "fine" is a huge jump in line size.

Glad I'm not the only one. My bench is covered with little squiggly lines to get the sharpie restarted. :D
I've tried every color but I prefer black. I've stored them every which way. Funny thing is I distinctly remember, when I started, the sharpie would wear out before drying out. I think they changed something to make money. :eek:

How To Keep A Sharpie "Going"

Two things (my opinion only):

1. Always replace the cap after each use - I mean each time you use it, not when you are done for the day, and;

2. If you take the end cap off and lightly, very lightly blow into it, you will "supercharge" the tip. Blow too hard and the result looks like a Rorshak (sp?) test on whatever is behind the tip - ask me how I know!

YMMV - but not by much.

HFS

Gasman has it !

The ultra fine tips use the ink quite quickly, the line has to be done very slowly and it will be OK. Also, surface condition affects the ink on the ultra fine ones. Sometimes you need to draw the ink out on a paper or card surface.

Also try keep it as vertical as possible

Back