What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's this hole for?

Draker

Well Known Member
There's a tooling hole towards the top of the F-706 bulkhead that Vans has you leave open:

i-pxRNXQ8-L.png

Is this actually used for anything later on in the build? Because if not, it looks like a great place to run a wire for a little baggage area dome light, attached to the F-732A channel that runs between the cabin frame roll bar and the bulkhead.

Last edited:
Hole

I built a 6A and if you notice it says to leave open if you are building a sliding canopy. For the slider a threaded rod might go through that hole, goes through the slider rail and is secured by two nuts. Look at the canopy instructions.

Allan Stern
RV 14A building
RV 12 flying
RV 6a sold
RV 8A sold

Slider hole

Different hole for the slider bolt. My bird is at the canopy stage and the hole is still open. Generally, tooling holes never get used so I would assume it could be used for a snap bushing but confirm with Vans before enlarging a tooling hole.

There's a tooling hole towards the top of the F-706 bulkhead that Vans has you leave open:

leave_hole_open-L.png

Is this actually used for anything later on in the build? Because if not, it looks like a great place to run a wire for a little baggage area dome light, attached to the F-732A channel that runs between the cabin frame roll bar and the bulkhead.

The left and right F-706 bulkhead parts are made form the exactly same flat pattern part only pressed in opposite directions.

That holes is the same hole that is used with the F-728A on the right side.... just not used on the left side.

Use it

I used that hole to do exactly as you say. Little LED dome light is mounted there with double sided tape. Wire goes through that hole.

Back