What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Critique

dreed

Well Known Member
Hi all-

I've been working with Advanced on my quick panel (they are awesome to work with). I am switching from 12V to dual USB chargers. Also, adding 3-4 spare toggles just in case for things I've not considered or will add in the future.

Any other thoughts? Would love the thoughts of those that have built and what they'd do different, add/delete. The collective IQ and history/knowledge of this crew can find something I should change I am sure :)

Thanks in advance!

dan

Last edited:
Dan,

No one replied to your post so I’ll dive in. Some thoughts:
- Move the EFIS displays up as high as they will go.
- Move the Dynon radio and Autopilot modules to below the IDF-540, move the IDF-540 up as high as it will go.
- You want the Autopilot module closer to your right hand as you will use it more than the Dynon radio remote module.
- You forgot the SkyView Knob module. This box is the most used and practical box you will ever put in a panel. Put it where you have the igntion switch if you need space.
- Not a fan of an “Avionics Master” switch.
- Not a fan of the old school key igntion switch.
- With a stick disconnect button and the Autopilot module, a Autopilot switch is a waste of panel space.
- Not a fan of the big clunky square switches. I like locking toggle switches like these: https://www.alliedelec.com/nkk-switches-s6al/70192232/
- Recommende moving all the cable plug ins off the panel (12Vdc outlet, USB plugs, seat heat, etc.). You don’t want cables running around in front of you and this is valuable panel space.

But - my thoughts. Blend in with other inputs then decide what you want to do.

Carl

Last edited:
Thanks Guys!

Carl- I'll play around with the COM/AP and moving the EFIS's up a little bit as well as different switch options.

I' am running dual 5600 Advanced systems so I am not sure if the dynon knob is applicable but I'll ask/research.

Thanks!
Dan

I like most all of the input Carl had for you but I don't agree with changing the switch type. To me, that is personal preference and I like the big square switches. :)

No one replied to your post so I?ll dive in. Some thoughts:
- Move the EFIS displays up as high as they will go.

- Move the Dynon radio and Autopilot modules to below the IDF-540, move the IDF-540 up as high as it will go.

If the IFD-540 is swapped on top of the radio and AP module it will hit the roll bar support.

- You want the Autopilot module closer to your right hand as you will use it more than the Dynon radio remote module.

Correct, move it to the left side or on top of the PFD

- You forgot the SkyView Knob module. This box is the most used and practical box you will ever put in a panel. Put it where you have the igntion switch if you need space.

The AF-5600 already has the 3 built in knobs and joystick so the knob module is not much use.

- Not a fan of an ?Avionics Master? switch.
- Not a fan of the old school key igntion switch.

I personally would not own a plane with a push button start and mag toggle switches. People are constantly looking at my plane and flipping panel switches. I like knowing that if the key is in my pocked the mags are grounded and nobody is going to push the start button on accident. We sell a lot of key switches and we have never had one go bad.

- With a stick disconnect button and the Autopilot module, a Autopilot switch is a waste of panel space.
agreed

- Not a fan of the big clunky square switches. I like locking toggle switches like these: https://www.alliedelec.com/nkk-switches-s6al/70192232/
One advantage of our switch modules is they connect to the ACM-ECB with a ribbon cable and require no wiring. We can use any switch, it just has to be hand wired to the ACM-ECB

- Recommende moving all the cable plug ins off the panel (12Vdc outlet, USB plugs, seat heat, etc.). You don?t want cables running around in front of you and this is valuable panel space.

Two of the USB ports are for EFIS data cards and you will be glad they are on the panel.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10 RV-12iS Under Construction

Thanks Rob!

I'll get with Stephan on the swap of AP and Comm but then I think we are good. He's been a great help.

Can't wait to get it up and running!

Dan

Last edited:
Advanced panel

I agree with everything Rob suggested but especially the comments about moving the displays as high as possible and the AP panel as close to your right hand as you can practically get it.

You'll likely never touch the panel mounted com control head once you use the screen based interface for the radio. I think the last time I touched mine was prior to first flight when I was doing radio checks and I had to set the volume.

Print it

I would suggest printing your panel layout full size and put it in your aircraft. I printed my layout and sat in the aircraft reaching for toggle switches, looking at the screens, etc. Make sure it "fits" you.

A word to the wise: if you're using Van's .dxf to lay out the panel, the .dxf show the panel UNBENT. The actual panel is about 1" shorter on the bottom once the stiffening bend is in place. I used this .dxf to lay out my panel and found that it wouldn't fit on the actual as-shipped aluminum. I had to have a custom panel cut to make everything fit (thanks UpNorth Aviation)

Thanks all!

CDN- I like the idea of swapping the com/AP head unit and will have the folks at Advanced make that change as well as moving the displays up as much as possible (I am 6'4" after all).

Sahrens- good idea for sure. I'll do that as I'll be at the hangar this weekend working on the plane.

wjb- Advanced is doing the panel for me (layout, cut, wiring, etc) as a quick panel, so should be good but thanks for the tip.

How about something like this:

45943259604_1d1dd4580a_b.jpg
[/url]

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10 RV-12iS Under Construction

Hi Dan, I agree with Carl about raising the displays as high as possible. It puts them in a better place for viewing. SteinAir can make you a panel, that is taller, so it's possible to move your switches under the display. They will also cut all the openings and all the holes for mounting your equipment.

With the switches under the display, place the auto-pilot control and radio control under the cutout for your IFD 540. The rest looks great.

Frank Huber
RV-7A flying since Aug 2018
Dues paid for 2019

That is a taller panel.... and if you want the plug-n-play ACM-ECB "Advanced Control Module with Electronic Circuit Breakers" it is only available from us.

The ACM-ECB has a port for the remote CO detector and Garmin G5, just plug it in and you're good to go.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Last edited:
Thanks Guys-

Jim- great idea on the CO, I just sent Robs team a note to see if we can squeeze it in there somewhere.

Great! Thanks Mike. That should work and looks like it'll be hidden and talk to the Advanced EFIS and chew up little to no panel real estate

Only a warning light and a push button.

And, IIRC, it has one of the longest lived sensors, and fairly cheap to replace.

Back