What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starting the Quick Build wings

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Getting going on the QB wings and have some questions on them. This is it and the plane is done. Well I guess it is never really done. I want to make sure it is a smooth run to the finish line. Four years behind me, how time flys.....

The snap bushings that are installed (one run for wires and the other for the pitot line) can the holes be enlarged for larger snap bushing or conduit. If so, what is a safe size to expand to for each run.

Garmin heated pitot with AOA. Is Van's recommended location on the wing good. I thought I read somewhere that because it has an AOA tube, there could possibly be interference with the aileron push tube or bell crank.

Duck Works leading edge light assembly with Aero Leds lights. Any install advise.

Garmin AP servo with the Ray Allen aileron trim. both to be installed in the right wing. Any issues?

I plan to do the recent Van's SB on the alerion bracket so its done. Any advice on that.

Any "got ya" I Need to be aware of ???

As alway, I much appreciate your input and advise.

QB Wings

Do a little research on the Pitot location, specifically when the aircraft is tied down, will the pitot interfere with the tie down rope/strap.

Aileron trim and roll servo in right wing. I am moving mine so the wiring will be more efficient.

I have the DuckWorks LE HID lights. I will be changing the HID lights for LED and they are for sale but the rest of the Duckworks mounting kit will be used.

I am using the AeroLED nav/strobe/tail and am happy with them so far (not flying yet).

I kind of like the AerosunVX but I opted for the ER tanks and the fit would be problematic. The Aveo Ziptips are gorgeous but a bit pricey.

Rich,
I installed the AOA pitot in the Van's specified location with no issues. I also ran the tubing down the center j channel using a caterpillar bushing in each penetration. No additional holes needed. The strobe wires were run separately for EMI separation just in case. I did not use wire sleeve for the remaining wires, I just ran the wires and cable tied. I ran a couple of extra wires down to the end just in case. Here is a photo.

36433341705_17daa28c30_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_1554 by Bill Peyton, on Flickr[/IMG]
36264990592_b2f143ce0b_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_1546 by Bill Peyton, on Flickr[/IMG]
36264991512_4022ab1c14_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_1545 by Bill Peyton, on Flickr[/IMG]
36264988852_4870157cb5_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_1548 by Bill Peyton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Bill,
Did you have to cut or bend the AOA and Pitot tubes extending from the mast? I don't suppose you have a picture of the probe connected to the lines, do you?

Yes, you will want to bend the pitot and AOA tubing and trim asreq to fit in your installation. The tubing is very soft and easy to bend. Sorry, but I did my final installation of the pitot and mast after I moved to the airport. I was always afraid of damaging the mast so I kept it off after the initial install

Compliance

This is what the SB says -

Method of Compliance:
NOTE: Completion of the modifications in this service bulletin as a preventative measure (prior to cracks being detected) on wings that have been fully assembled is not recommended.

Does the factory consider a QB wing as delivered 'fully assembled' in this context?

This is what the SB says -

Method of Compliance:
NOTE: Completion of the modifications in this service bulletin as a preventative measure (prior to cracks being detected) on wings that have been fully assembled is not recommended.

Does the factory consider a QB wing as delivered 'fully assembled' in this context?

My opinion only: I think the concern is over possible damage to the spar during rivet removal. Since the QB has these rivets already driven, I think the answer is yes, it is already fully assembled. What you do is, of course, up to you.

My opinion only: I think the concern is over possible damage to the spar during rivet removal. Since the QB has these rivets already driven, I think the answer is yes, it is already fully assembled. What you do is, of course, up to you.

That was sort of my idea too... just keep inspecting every CI per the SB.

The OP seems to read it differently. :)

Pitot Mast

I thought all the replacement SafeAir pitot masts were blue. Mine went from the gold in your pic to blue upon replacement.

Back