What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cold enough?

aerhed

Well Known Member
Last night the thermometer went down to -40F and went blank. I bet the fairings I did yesterday are still tacky.

Cold

Wow and I thought minus 21 was cold last night. I went out this morning and blew bubbles. The surface freezes then they pop. It's really cool to watch.

+13 here in west Texas this morning and that's plenty cold for me, I have no interest in anything cooler than about +50F anyway! :cool:

It was +17F under my carport this morning.

Discovered that the engine computer in my Audi won't let the engine rev past 2500 rpm when you first start it up when it's that cold... until after the engine warms up a bit.

Last night the thermometer went down to -40F and went blank. I bet the fairings I did yesterday are still tacky.

Boy, I am glad we got through Wyoming (on our way back from Minnesota) a couple of days ago when it was still in the balmy teens! :D

-20°F yesterday, figured I better check the hangar. Hangar temp was 36...yikes floor heat is not working. Got it fixed... Whew, hate to sit on cold seats. Although I don't open the door when below zero.

Today started at 0 and the hangar is a toasty 58°. Turned down the thermostat to 50. Planning a New year flight in the AM.

18 this morning when I took off. What a beast this thing is during cold temps. 189 knots at 6500feet and 2600rpm. I don't know how that compares to other RV8's but **** I like it.

I spent most of my life in Florida, where the scenery never changes. Colorado has more eye candy. Photo from this morning.

A4573F93-42EF-42EC-8F3F-F04C072F80CB_zpspr3phdlo.jpg

Last edited:
Here is something you don't see often in San Diego.
IMG_1729-M.jpg

A dripping faucet at the hangar created an ice stalagtite about a foot tall!
Temps were down to 25 degrees this morning.

The mountains north east of San Diego got a lot of snow, which is not very common. These are the foothills east of Temecula and Hemet.
IMG_0698-M.jpg

That is about as cold as I can handle. Thankfully, the temps later this week will be back in the upper 70's! Normal winter weather again. :)

Back