What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Teach me how to CAMP out of the RV.

One of the best tools for airplane camping is a compression sack. We use the Alps brand but any good rated and inexpensive brand will do. All of our softgoods (mummy sacks, clothes, pillows, etc) go in them and they compress the stuff probably 3 to 1. Another really nice thing to have is a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Mini Pump to inflate your mist have air matteress. The pump is cheap, works well, and saves you from hyper ventilating when you are setting up camp. My preferred air mattress is the Klymit Static V Luxe Sleeping Pad (lifetime warranty if you need it). Its a bit larger than the rest and the extra ounce or two wont matter. Regarding the tent I agree that atleast a rating for atleast one additional person beyond the number sleeping in it is required. A rain fly that covers the entire tent is necessary as otherwise the inside of the tent will be wet with dew in the morning. Most cheap tents have a partial rainfly. The good tents have intricate ventilation to facilitate a rainfly that covers the entire tent. This is one reason they are $$$ but well worth the money. Anything REI sells will work well. If baggage area is at a premium you could also get a 65 liter hiking backpack and seat belt it in on the right side. I did that flying aid to the Bahamas in the RV-10 as I was leery about anything "loose" near the right stick. If there are no picnic benches at your campsite it's nice to have a folding chair. Helinox CHAIR ONE X-LARGE is my preference. They make a smaller one that we have for our kids. The Big Agnes Soul Kitchen Camp Table (folding table) is the least used item we have but nice when there is no other table to use already at the campsite. Alot of places have picnic tables. We have Big Agnes mtnGLO Tent Camp Lights that we string on the inside ceiling of the tent to light up at night. Works really well. The last item no one has mentioned is a good headlamp. So much easier to use your hands when the light is strapped to your head. We use a green propane bottle stove from a garage sale to cook and try to bring things that are already dry (pasta, pancake mix, etc) as they are inexpensive and dont need fancy things like ice to stay safe and water is available everywhere we go to hydrate them. Arcadia airport (Florida) has a really nice paved runway that you taxi from to the woods where you can push your plane under an oak tree. Porcelain toilets and hot water showers. Fire ring with pre split wood. First class operation if you want to test out your gear. They will even setup a tent for you if you dont have one. Check out their website. https://foaa.us/

What about a small wood stove??

IF you are camping in a place allowing wood fires, you can use sticks in a very small metal wood stove. For a DIY version, search for Nimblewill Nomad Little Dandy Stove. Or buy the premade cheap chinese version called Lixada Compact Folding Wood Stove.

These stoves are very small. The top opening is like 5" x 5" or so, just right for a camping cook kit. You don't use logs, just sticks you pick up and break with your hands. They weigh a couple pounds or less.

Be extremely careful about debris around the fire. You don't want to walk out. You might be charged by the authorities for leaving a charred airplane in the bush.....

Lance

IF you are camping in a place allowing wood fires, you can use sticks in a very small metal wood stove. For a DIY version, search for Nimblewill Nomad Little Dandy Stove. Or buy the premade cheap chinese version called Lixada Compact Folding Wood Stove.

These stoves are very small. The top opening is like 5" x 5" or so, just right for a camping cook kit. You don't use logs, just sticks you pick up and break with your hands. They weigh a couple pounds or less.

Be extremely careful about debris around the fire. You don't want to walk out. You might be charged by the authorities for leaving a charred airplane in the bush.....

Lance
Out west and even in the east when it is really dry don't allow fires. Also, there is no guarantee you will find fuel at an airport.

Out west and even in the east when it is really dry don't allow fires. Also, there is no guarantee you will find fuel at an airport.

Both of your points are valid in certain situations.

My first phrase in my reply addressed that there maybe a problem with fires, and finished with a half joke about not starting a wildfire and burning up the airplane! There was much discussion in this thread about the hazards of propane canisters in an airplane. These 2 little wood burners do not need propane. They use a small bundle of small sticks to allow a fire to boil water in a few minutes for coffee or make a dehydrated meal, ie typical modern camping fare. The OP said ID, WA, and OR as desired destinations. I was thinking also by his Covid-19 concerns that he was wanting to go the remote USFS airports out there. Those airports aren't like the fence secured business oriented airports near cities, but are already rural, in wooded areas and camping oriented places, ie the fuel should be nearby and freely available on public property. I suspect they have camping areas with fire rings? I was simply pointing that there is an alternative to the common propane stoves. Due diligence dictates that the pilot know if he can light a fire, and to be careful with it.

Lance

Lance is right. The stoves are small and effective. Often dirty after using, though, and take more effort than a fueled stove. An alternative, but practice with them before you head out (good advice for all your gear).

A good comparison of the different types of stove can be found here.

I've used the pop can alcohol stoves they mention, and they aren't throttleable and basically burn till they're out of fuel, at least in my experience. They will boil a pint of water but that's about all, and that not fast. I wouldn't take one for airplane camping any more than I would a wood stove.

Dave

Sterno Stove

I use a Sterno Stove. Part of my survival gear. Three cans of fuel in the plastic wrap are easy to store, use zipper-loc bags just in case.

Fuel is small, light weight, stove folds flat. Carry one in my vehicle, on long drives been known to stop at picnic sites and cook lunch/dinner. The small easy to store sized cans of fuel outlast any white gas or LP fuels of the same weight and size containers.

No spill, fuel lasts a long time. No pump or valves/seals to go bad. Just open the lid on the fuel and light with a match. Cheap system that works. Fuel works as fire starter if needed on a bigger fire, just take a small stick get it wet; no problem getting a fire to go.

Does take time to boil water though.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks a million for all the great suggestions and info. To the guys that created items lists, those are like my packing bibles now. I reference them while shopping on Amazon. I have to say, the gear that I?ve bought so far has not been cheap. Hopefully, however, this won?t be the only time I use them.

I went with the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3 (2020) tent. Big volume, but light. Only a little over 3lbs. Packs down to 6? x 19?. I decided to go with a 3 person tent, even though I?m solo, because I?m hoping in the future maybe I won?t be solo. I?m going with the one size up philosophy.

As far as a stove, I?m still debating. I don?t have any trouble eating cold food. Like bagels, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, etc. I even eat instant oatmeal cold, something I started doing back in high school. But then I started thinking about how nice it would be to have some hot chocolate in the evening after a long hike. Maybe some boil in bag rice or noodles. So I may get a stove of some sort. Not sure.

Right now, 1st stop is going to be 1L7, as has been suggested. Looks like a great place, close to capital reef, with a nice campground, and nice amenities. Certainly won?t be roughing it there. I?m still deciding on the follow up Destination. I have a friend that gave me some suggestions in WA. (21W & 6S9.) My only concern is the fact that the weather in WA can stay so crummy for so long, I may not get back out for a while. See, the way I look at it, I would only go in if the weather was nice. But, the weather may get bad while I?m there, and then I?m stuck for God knows how long. Anyone have any insights on the weather in Washington state in May?

I?m also keeping Johnson Creek (3U2), and a few other airports in Idaho, as an option. However, I was told by the Aeronautics Division up there, that the grass strips can still be messy in May, and to call back in a couple weeks.

Otherwise, are there any other good camping airports in the southwest that will have less weather concerns than the north? Of course with some hiking nearby.

Thanks everyone! You guys have helped more than you?ll know.

When we were backpacking in the Sierra Nevada Mountains a whole bunch of years ago, we discovered the answer to rain, cold, wind and bad food. You only need about an ounce a night.

Yukon Jack

Smiley Creek Airstrip, Idaho

This Idaho Division of Aeronautics' well-maintained airstrip may dry out early because it's slope encourages drainage. I recommend it for its amenities and because the approach and departure is not as challenging as some other Idaho backcountry strips.
http://https://idahoaviation.com/idaho-airstrip-detail.php?id=70
Smiley Creek Airstrip FAA Code: U87 Elevation: 7206

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

Get one of the camping stoves that burn anything, use 100LL. A little lead won't kill ya.

MSR Whisperlite International stove...works awesome. I use it for preheating in the winter and just sump my RV tanks and dump it into the stove fuel tank.

https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/liquid-fuel-stoves/whisperlite-international/06633.html

For coffee...Aeropress. I pack this on trips because hotel coffee sucks and Starbuck isn't always nearby.

https://aeropress.com

Cowboy coffee

Before you leave prepack pint ziplock bags with coffee, 1/4 c ground coffee, 1/4 c brown sugar.

Before you go to bed dump the coffee/sugar into your cooking pot containing 20oz of water and set it on your stove (lid on to keep bugs out) ready to light in the morning.

First thing in the morning, light the stove and bring your pot to a boil and remove the pot and let is set with the lid on for five minutes. Pour the coffee off into you cup and ground will stay on the bottom of the pot.

While you are waiting for the coffee to boil you can pack up.

Thanks a million for all the great suggestions and info. To the guys that created items lists, those are like my packing bibles now. I reference them while shopping on Amazon. I have to say, the gear that I’ve bought so far has not been cheap. Hopefully, however, this won’t be the only time I use them.

I went with the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3 (2020) tent. Big volume, but light. Only a little over 3lbs. Packs down to 6” x 19”. I decided to go with a 3 person tent, even though I’m solo, because I’m hoping in the future maybe I won’t be solo. I’m going with the one size up philosophy.

As far as a stove, I’m still debating. I don’t have any trouble eating cold food. Like bagels, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, etc. I even eat instant oatmeal cold, something I started doing back in high school. But then I started thinking about how nice it would be to have some hot chocolate in the evening after a long hike. Maybe some boil in bag rice or noodles. So I may get a stove of some sort. Not sure.

Right now, 1st stop is going to be 1L7, as has been suggested. Looks like a great place, close to capital reef, with a nice campground, and nice amenities. Certainly won’t be roughing it there. I’m still deciding on the follow up Destination. I have a friend that gave me some suggestions in WA. (21W & 6S9.) My only concern is the fact that the weather in WA can stay so crummy for so long, I may not get back out for a while. See, the way I look at it, I would only go in if the weather was nice. But, the weather may get bad while I’m there, and then I’m stuck for God knows how long. Anyone have any insights on the weather in Washington state in May?

I’m also keeping Johnson Creek (3U2), and a few other airports in Idaho, as an option. However, I was told by the Aeronautics Division up there, that the grass strips can still be messy in May, and to call back in a couple weeks.

Otherwise, are there any other good camping airports in the southwest that will have less weather concerns than the north? Of course with some hiking nearby.

Thanks everyone! You guys have helped more than you’ll know.

sounds like a fun time, still jealous. my buddy just spent the better part of a week in escelante and had nothing but good things to say, gas is a bit expensive but for what you get in services at the campground, it's worth it he thought. They have wifi, update us next month when you get there!

Last edited:
Before you leave prepack pint ziplock bags with coffee, 1/4 c ground coffee, 1/4 c brown sugar.

Before you go to bed dump the coffee/sugar into your cooking pot containing 20oz of water and set it on your stove (lid on to keep bugs out) ready to light in the morning.

First thing in the morning, light the stove and bring your pot to a boil and remove the pot and let is set with the lid on for five minutes. Pour the coffee off into you cup and ground will stay on the bottom of the pot.

While you are waiting for the coffee to boil you can pack up.

The sugar could cause a different kind of eating problem here in Alaska.

Might want to check what kind of local wildlife there is before setting any food items out overnight.

Great coffee though.

Mike

sounds like a fun time, still jealous. my buddy just spent the better part of a week in escelante and had nothing but good things to say, gas is a bit expensive but for what you get in services at the campground, it's worth it he thought. They have wifi, update us next month when you get there!

Right on! Is there that much to do there? I'm hoping to do some good hikes, but a little worried about transportation to the trail heads. Wasn't sure If I could find enough things to do there to warrant numerous days, or if Escalante would just be a jumping off point into the backcountry places like Ibex, Cedar Mountain, etc.

Yes, the more I research, the more excited I'm getting. Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Right on! Is there that much to do there? I'm hoping to do some good hikes, but a little worried about transportation to the trail heads. Wasn't sure If I could find enough things to do there to warrant numerous days, or if Escalante would just be a jumping off point into the backcountry places like Ibex, Cedar Mountain, etc.

Yes, the more I research, the more excited I'm getting. Thanks to all for the suggestions!

he did a bunch of hikes and hopped over to another airport I think for some day trips, I'll try and ask. The FBO has a courtesy car they used.

I'm back from my camping trip

I just want to thank everyone who helped me learn how to camp out of the RV. I had a wonderful 2 week long trip. All the equipment I bought as recommended by you guys worked out great. Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3 tent someone suggested, was perfect!

I started in Escalante, Utah (1L7) as suggested by a gentleman on this site. From Houston I made one fuel stop in Double Eagle (KAEG), before Escalante. What a nice setup. Along with a nice campsite, they have a shower and covered pavilion with gas grill, and running water. Great 1st stop to get my camping feet wet. I had the whole camp to myself, and more importantly, the courtesy car all to myself! I spent 4 nights there and did a hike a day for 4 days. It was beautiful. Might I add that May is a great month for Utah. No bugs, yet comfortable during the day, nice and cool at night.

Then, wanting to get a little more hardcore, I flew out to IBEX Hardpan to spend a night on the dry lake. It was a very unique experience. It was fun to land on such a wide open space. It was nice and smooth, however, the chalky dust gets on EVERYTHING! My shoes, my pants, my tent, my tires, my wheel pants, etc, etc, etc...
Ok, Now here's the rest of the story. It was windy during the day, but I expected it to calm down as the sun went down. That turned out to not be the case. The wind never slowed, and I ended up setting my tent up in the howling wind before the sun went down. During the night, as I attempting to sleep, the wind got even worse. I learned later, there was a slow moving stationary front overhead. Very tight isobars! It was hard to sleep with all the noise, and the buffeting of the tent. At times it became very disconcerting. At 2:30am, I went outside to inspect how my tent was holding up. Right then, before my very eyes, my tent could not take it anymore, and the whole thing just imploded! I spent a very uncomfortable and frustrating rest of the night sleeping in the plane, which, BTW, was well secured using "The Claw." I was cold, tired, and ticked off. Not fun...

The next morning, still somewhat windy, I headed to my new friend Vlad's place at 33U. Vlad invited me to Spend a few nights at his place, and I took him up on that. What a gentleman! He housed me and fed me, and I did some more awesome hiking. He and I did some flying that saturday in our respective planes. It was the Coolest, most fun day of my entire trip! Vlad showed me some great spots in Utah. Hite (UT03), and Monument Valley (UT25) to be exact. Absolutely beautiful...

That next Monday I wanted to head to Johnson Creek, ID, but the weather was prohibitive. I settled on Ranger Creek (21W) in WA, but 2 hrs into the flight the weather took a dive on me. I tucked tail and turned back to Vlad's. I stayed with him for 2 more nights. Total of about a week. Vlad, you're awesome!

To wrap up my trip, I used the RAF website (theRAF.org) and found a little strip in Arizona called Grapevine (88AZ). Nice paved strip with a campsite and a port-a-potty. I spent two nights there. No hiking or courtesy car, so I took a risk and left my tent & equipment, and flew to Sedona (KSEZ) for the day. Just a 30 min flight. I rented a car from the FBO and did some awesome hiking. I see what all the fuss is about there. It is a gorgeous place, and also fun to fly into. Gas was reasonable as well. Flew back, spent the second night back at Grapevine, and the next day headed home to Houston.

It was the most fun I've had in the 4 years I've owned the RV, hands down. Don't know what else to say, it was just awesome. I learned a bit about mountain flying, and I had some great adventures with my RV. What a machine! Sometimes I still can't believe I own one. Gotta pinch myself every now and again.

So, Thanks to Vlad, and thanks to all you guys for the help. From the start, this trip was an experiment to see if I'd like it. I know now, it's just the beginning. Insert RV Grin here.

Here's a boatload of pics if anyone cares:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gtJFYrT7GSfQsKJaA

Last edited:
I had a wonderful 2 week long trip.
Wow for a rookie plane camper you did it all. Experienced the bliss and bane of camping. Glad you are safe and had fun. Get back to Johnson Creek someday soon. It's worth it. Thanks for the travel log... good read.

Last edited:
Glad you are safe and had fun. Get back to Johnson Creek someday soon.

Thanks. Yeah, I was bummed about Johnson Creek. Actually, that was supposed to be the climax of the trip. Talked to a buddy from Montana, and he said May is not the best time for that part of the country. I’m definitely gonna try again, but maybe deeper into summer.

I love the pictures from your trip. These happens to be my some of favorite places to visit.

I really enjoyed your trip writeup and pictures. Sorry to hear about your tent, and not sure if it's damaged/destroyed or if you are still using it. It's hard to know how much tent you need without actually experiencing the conditions, but it's clear your tent wasn't up to the wind. Glad your Claw tiedowns protected your airplane.

The company that made my tent are no longer in business, but it's very similar to this North Face tent, a 4 season mountaineering tent. This kind of tent should withstand any amount of wind.

https://www.rei.com/product/145502/the-north-face-ve-25-tent-with-footprint

I really enjoyed your trip writeup and pictures. Sorry to hear about your tent, and not sure if it's damaged/destroyed or if you are still using it. It's hard to know how much tent you need without actually experiencing the conditions, but it's clear your tent wasn't up to the wind. Glad your Claw tiedowns protected your airplane.

The company that made my tent are no longer in business, but it's very similar to this North Face tent, a 4 season mountaineering tent. This kind of tent should withstand any amount of wind.

https://www.rei.com/product/145502/the-north-face-ve-25-tent-with-footprint

Yeah, that one looks capable! Looks like a beast! My Big Agnes turned out fine. Seems that the supports just shifted, but didn’t break. I actually opened it all up and inspected it at Vlad’s house. I subsequently used it at Grapevine. It was fine.

Last edited:
Tent Recommendation

For plane camping I can't say enough about the North Face VE 25. Mine is 30 years old this year and still looks like new. It's been up Denali and down the Grand Canyon. When the wind blows it does not collapse. The Claw is a really good tie down as well...sound like a great trip.

Back