What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV's in Madison WI area

Frank Smidler

Well Known Member
Hi, I have just taken a job in Stoughton, WI, 15-20 miles south of Madison and I'm planning to base my RV-6 at Matson, 2WI6. I would like to get in contact with other RV builders/fliers in the area. I will be starting work Sept 6 and my wife will not be moving up for a couple months, so I will be free to provide a helping hand to anyone building.

I would also like to get info on the two EAA chapters in the area, which is more active, what type of focus do they have, etc.

Look forward to meeting everyone in the area.

Hi Frank,

I have a flying RV-8 based in Middleton, and my hangar-mate has an RV-8A as well. There are a few other RVs in the area but we haven't been too organized so far. Maybe we could plan a group fly-out somewhere this fall?

Alan

Just south

Hey Frank,
I'm just south of Monroe KEFT on a private and winter in Monroe. There are 2 others in Monroe.

Hi Frank,

I have a flying RV-8 based in Middleton, and my hangar-mate has an RV-8A as well. There are a few other RVs in the area but we haven't been too organized so far. Maybe we could plan a group fly-out somewhere this fall?

Alan

Hi Alan, thanks for responding. When I get settled in I'll look you up. A fly-put sounds like fun. I'll be a little busy for at least September trying to get the home ready for sale in Lafayette, but there is still great flying weather in October.

Will be stopping by KEFT for fuel

Hey Frank,
I'm just south of Monroe KEFT on a private and winter in Monroe. There are 2 others in Monroe.

I'm sure I will run into you. 2WI6 does not have fuel so I am looking for the best local airport for fuel. It looks like on 100LL.com KEFT has the best price within a 40 nm radius. You will see me stopping by on a regular bases in the future to fill up.

Small world, I grew up in Stoughton and hung around Matson as a kid. My folks still live there and I fly in to Matson semi-regularly.

I'm way over in Milwaukee so can't help with the EAA chapters, but I'll offer a little advice. For the last decade Matson has been a target of development, and several years ago one of the Matson kids told me they were thinking of selling. I hope not, but I'd be very wary of sinking any money (ie. building a hangar) at the airport.

IIRC there is a fuel co-op at 58C, about 5 miles SE of Matson, you might look into that for fuel. Several Matson tenants are members and can fill you in.

Matson Airport

Hi Jeff,

I spoke with John Matson last Saturday at the airport when I stopped by with the wife on a scouting trip of the town. He told me that they were developing land in the area. He stated that the first phase still had available lots and there would be 2 more phases until they would develop the airport land. He estimated that that would be 15 to 20 years from now. I will be in an existing hanger, no personal investment, the enclosed square one on the south east.

Once I get settled in you'll have to let me know when you are are going to be in the area. I'll be flying your way often as my daughter lives just south of Mitchell Field in Oak Creek.

Good news about Matson. I suspect that the slowdown in housing has given it a temporary reprieve.

p1010084_edited.jpg

Here's me and the Moose at Matson in April 2004, during my phase 1. This is still one of my favorite pics of my plane. My mother took this with her (then brand new first) digital camera. Not bad for an amateur. When I started building in '99 it was my goal to have it done in time to fly into Matson before it got bulldozed. Obviously I made it.

Oak Creek is a huge city, size wise. Depending where in the city she lives, you might be better off flying into Racine (KRAC) and driving north, rather than flying into Mitchell, although Mitchell is doable. A couple of our chapter members are based on the GA side of Mitchell so it can be done, just don't buy gas there! If you need hangar space we can probably make that happen.

Where in Stoughton did you take a job? It has to be either Nelson or ST.

Back