What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sleepy Hollow 2010

dhall_polo

Well Known Member
I'll be there. How 'bout you? Sleepy Hollerer's stand up and be counted!

My lovely mistress-7 stays at home, whilst I'm driving a big ole rental RV this year at 170 "nots" down the highway. I'm hoping for same spot as last year, up near the front. I somehow insure the RV gets marked as belonging to a van's rv nut.

Don, Gennett, Abby (9) Allie (6)

Come say hello.

web.jpg

Last edited:
We're there Saturday to Saturday...
Deluxe Cabin... (Can't remember the number)

Phil_Sara_Fbrg_2009.jpg

Phil and Sara
... and Landon (who will be 3 months)

The three Mills boys (Cory, Bob and Matt, L-R) and my Father-in-Law Dick will be in a rental trailer from Event RV.

Dick and Matt will arrive via airline Saturday, and Cory and I will arrive with the Airventure Cup arrival on Sunday. We'll be there till the following Saturday. I'll also rig up some sort of RV/VAF logo, so c'mon by!! Airplane will be with the AVC race parking.

shpic4.jpg

Any hints for a first-timer? Not sure if I can request a certain spot or area, but any recommendations on where to request being placed if I can do so? (They deliver and place the RV).

Looking forward to seeing the gang at OSH!!

Cheers,
Bob

I'll be there all week. Sunday thru Friday, space 69, with my family. Don, you can request the same spot as last year, Jeff will accomodate you. Returning campers get first priority. We've been staying at Sleepy Hollow for the past 9 years and I don't think we would be happy anywhere else.

Marshall Alexander
cell (405) 417-6077

Will be there too.

My wife Tanya and myself will be there, most likely with our two kids and golden retreiver again. We always camp in the open back on the very end of the last row. Lots of room, not packed in and the kids can play football, soccer, and keep the dog happy. Always enjoy visiting other vafers. 28' trailer with a blue dodge 2500 with a cap on it. There saturday am to wed am. Stop by and say hey. ;)

2m3qjqb.jpg

I'll be there with two of my sons and a friend. Been camping there since 2002(I think). Emailed Jeff and he said
"Work on the new shower house will begin in the next couple of weeks. It should be very nice when complete.
See you in July.
Jeff"
New shower house or not its a nice place to stay.
Our camp usually looks like this.
Stop by and say hello!

11-08212.jpg

Is it possible to get a shaded tent site? Two years ago I had to pitch in an open field under a brutal sun, though this was mitigated by Rick and his lovely wife Tanya with a cold beer as chilling air flowed out of their RV (insert green with envy here). This year will plan on going Circle R 2 miles south, as they have a wooded back section with electric. But, if it is possible to stay under a tree at Sleepy Hollow, would consider.
Rick - missed last year, but definitely will stop by and say hi this year. Keep 'em iced up!

Hey

Carl, your always welcome as are other rvers, would be good to see you again. Sleepy Hollow does have all the front area with trees, but they really really pack them in tight mid to late in the week. With the dog on holidays with us the AC is nice as he just goes to sleep on the couch, so a little extra room in the back full sun works ok for us. The camper is like an ice box after a long day at the field. Walk in the camper, change, grab some cold beers and get the bbq going and play some touch football with the kids while the helicopters buzz right over our heads. After some visiting, flipping through Bob Collins live blogs and a few beers, we walk 200 yards to the flyin theater for the movie night. Does it get any better?:D

sleepy hollow

The white SPRINGDALE (upper right of Jeff's picture N164fj) is where we are every year. Troy, grainfarmer, has a RV6 & I am working on a RV8a. Stop by if you see life. Ron

Back 40

We'll be there in the back 40 with the 37' Montana and a black Diesel Dodge. Hope we are flying up in the 9A next year.

no hints really.

They really stack the RV's and trailers in there, so don't expect a lot of daylight between trailers, but Sleepy Hollow is a great place to be. Having water and power is a nice luxury for that long of a stay. I kinda liked where I was last year, which was very near the front road and blue parking lot. I asked for the same area again, but I haven't gotten a confirmation, so I don't think reserving specific spots is their cup of tea.

A couple things that might be helpful:
- The people who run the buses also offer for you to hire them for private car service. For instance, if you want to go out to eat at a Mexican restaurant one night, they will take you and pick you up for a small fee. I also had them run me to the grocery store for supplies. It's a great service, so I hope they do it again this year.
- There's a nice convenience store/barn where Camp Scholler bumps up against the gates near the fly mart area. You can buy supplies like sandwich meats and such there.
- If you can figure out how to arrange for bikes, it'd sure make exploring the campgrounds a little more fun. Just walking to Bob's POG2009 was a pretty long walk from Sleepy Hollow after a day of walking around Osh.
- It rained a little almost every day last year. I discovered just how much fun it is to sprint a mile from the grounds to my plane to put the cover on it. (tip up, not water proof)
- Sleepy Hollow is really convenient to the Fly-in theater if you want to partake in some popcorn and cheesy movies.

EAA Wifi at sleepy hollow

Last year I had ZILCH for internet. My ATT 3G was useless, and the EAA Wifi was just teasing me. My Mac could see it enough to connect, but it was too dicey to get a packet through.

This year, I'm looking at other options, like Verizon's MiFi.

What has y'all's experience been with the EAA Wifi at sleepy hollow? Any better in the back?

Hey Don:
I've been visiting with Jeff quite a bit lately. Through the years, we've kind of become close friends and stay in touch throughout the year. They have a new wifi provider this year. Last year they had a falling out about mid week because the provider wasn't producing as advertised. This year is supposed to be much better.
Also, Sleepy Hollow is going to year-round open instead of just special events.
The last time I talked to Jeff, about 2 weeks ago, he told me they were working on a dump station. Said it would be ready by OSH. Although there's not a sewer at each site, a blue tote tank with a central dump station, it will still be more convienient than calling out the sucker truck.:)
We have a 5th wheel so my pickup (full-size/extended cab/4 doors) is availabe to run to town for anything. Come see me if you need to go to town. OSH is expensive enough without paying extra to go to Wally World or whatever. We'll usually check with the "neighbors" when we go to town to see if they need anything or want to go along.
Plus, my parents drive their pickup up and stay in a rented travel trailer next to us.
Come see us. Space 69 is directly behind (east) the big blue/gray?? house, and backs up to the line of cedar trees.
We've been staying at Sleepy Hollow since we started making OSH the annual vacation, I think it's been 9 years. My daughters start looking foreward to the next year when we leave for home.

Marshall Alexander

Beer

Since many of us will be on site sat and sun before the show actually opens, why not meet up for a few beers somewhere at Sleepy Hollow on the sat or sunday night if you will be there? Nothing long, no big planning, just a few beers. We enjoy the sunday lawn chair on the flight line with the icom hand held thing. Toooo much fun, best part of the show. I didnt know there were so many Vafers packed into the Hollow.

Since many of us will be on site sat and sun before the show actually opens, why not meet up for a few beers somewhere at Sleepy Hollow on the sat or sunday night if you will be there? Nothing long, no big planning, just a few beers. We enjoy the sunday lawn chair on the flight line with the icom hand held thing. Toooo much fun, best part of the show. I didnt know there were so many Vafers packed into the Hollow.

I'm in. We could do it at 69:D. Easy number to remember. Sunday evening would be best for me.

Marshall Alexander

howdy neighbor.

Come see us. Space 69 is directly behind (east) the big blue/gray?? house, and backs up to the line of cedar trees.
We've been staying at Sleepy Hollow since we started making OSH the annual vacation, I think it's been 9 years. My daughters start looking foreward to the next year when we leave for home.

Marshall Alexander

Well, the world is a little smaller. I requested the same area as last year. I was in either lot 71 or 72 last year. I was in a rented 31' Class C RV last year. This year we'll be up there in a rented Class A. Can't wait.

Well, the world is a little smaller. I requested the same area as last year. I was in either lot 71 or 72 last year. I was in a rented 31' Class C RV last year. This year we'll be up there in a rented Class A. Can't wait.

If you were between a 5th wheel and a big deisel pusher, you'd have been on 71. The guy in the 5th wheel (he was renting it from a friend of Jeff's) bought a Lancair kit last year.
We're the one's that had all the vehicles parked around our 5th wheel.:D
I'm taking my trailer up the weekend before OSH because I have a neice getting married on Saturday, the day we usually arrive at OSH. So I talked to Jeff about bringing the 5th wheel up the weekend before so I could leave the wedding on Saturday evening and just drive straight thru from OK and not have to pull the trailer at night. He was prefectly fine with it, said "you know which space is yours, if no one is there, just set it up and we'll see you the following week."
Anyway, we certainly need to get together and you certainly DON'T need to pay someone to go to town when we're right next door, with 3 vehicles.
:)I'm ready to go now.

Marshall Alexander

Marshall and Don,

Just received a note from Jeff and Pam confirming my reservation as paid-in-full, and Pam added a note that said "you're close to Marshall" (I had asked her on the phone to be placed nearby to youz guyz...hope that was OK!). No spot mentioned in the note, but I'll shoot her an e-mail and see if I can find out (I figure they are pretty busy about now!)

My Father-in-Law (Dick Kelleher) and my son Matt will be arriving on Saturday afternoon, to open and complete the set up of the rental trailer from Event RV. My other son Cory and I get in on Sunday with AVC. We'll have a rental car, so can help with transpo and folk's shopping runs, beer runs, etc.

Look forward to meeting the SH gang, and everyone else that can come by! My cell is (775) 544-3511, and Dick's is (661) 478-6658.

Cheers,
Bob

Mississippi Builders

Beth & I will be there in the back 40 along with a friend who is almost finished with an RV8. We'll be in a 37' Montana and he has a large travel trailer. We all should put a VAF sign around the front of our unit so we can meet each other as we are sitting around the grill in the evenings.

Im There!!

We will be there again. Wish Famous Dave's was still a neighbor. Our camper is actually the Springdale behind the red Dodge in one of the pics!! Stop by and say hello. I'll be there a couple days however someone will be there all week. Only a 2 hour drive. Just look for the big white Ford!!:D

Last edited:
pre-excited

We are so pumped up for the trip this year. We'll arrive Sunday afternoon or evening, coming up from Atlanta in our big ole rental RV. The fast RV stays at home this year, probably wondering what it did wrong.

Sounds like we need to pick a night (or two) for brewskies. Maybe Monday?

re: good

I'm in. I got my 5th wheel delivered to Sleepy Hollow this past Saturday.

I took it up, parked it and set it up this last weekend because I have a wedding to attend Saturday the 24 in Clinton, OK. So, I took the 5th wheel up a week early so I wouldn't have to try to do a marathon pull, park, and set in a record time.:). It's a 17 hr drive from OKC to OSH, so my brother & I took a nice little weekend drive to OSH and back. Was a good thing too. I had the trailer on the drive way with all the slides out so we could load it and get everything ready to go. Apparently, when I sucked in the rear slide on the trailer, all the trailer light wires (stop, turn, marker, etc.) had gotten into a pinch point or something and when the slide was coming in or going out, and gotten sheared in to.
It took my brother and me an hour and 45 minutes to pull the belly down locate and repair the wires, and resecure the belly. Still didn't have trailer brakes or "keep alive" power to the trailer from the pickup battery. We left anyway. I've pulled lots of trailers with no brakes, the traffic was light, so I figured, just be extremely careful.
While driving down the road, my mind was "wandering", (it's amazing what you think about when you don't have anything to think about) it occured to me, there's a fuse under the hood of the pickup for the keep alive pin in the recep for the trailer plug. Well, at the next fuel stop, we checked this fuse. sure enough, it was blown. But, it's one of the little square type that actuall plug onto instead of into the holder. 7-11 and Wal Mart didn't have 'em. So we "jumpered" some things and viola, had lights, brakes, and all the power in the trailer we were supposed to have.
We are both electricians and have some symblance of basic "how to make things work in a pinch" electrically.
Anyway, we drove on through the night, arriving at Sleepy Hollow about 11:30 am. Got the trailer all set up. Then went to the parts store for a fuse.

And the ground up there is soggy. Jeff, at Sleepy Hollow, said they had 4" of rain last Monday.

Marshall Alexander

I'll be there for my first time, flying commercial, planning to camp in a small tent solo. Decided not to drive 1500 miles each way in my 5th wheel this time. I'm looking for advice on the best place to tent camp. Considerations: shade, proximity to other RVers, proximity to showers, good, events. No particular order. Oh, proximity to cold beer would be a plus. The references to north 40 and such don't mean much to a newbie as they aren't on the map. Any help would be appreciated.

I'll be there for my first time, flying commercial, planning to camp in a small tent solo. Decided not to drive 1500 miles each way in my 5th wheel this time. I'm looking for advice on the best place to tent camp. Considerations: shade, proximity to other RVers, proximity to showers, good, events. No particular order. Oh, proximity to cold beer would be a plus. The references to north 40 and such don't mean much to a newbie as they aren't on the map. Any help would be appreciated.

Actually, Sleepy Hollow meets all your pre-requisites. Beer tent is just across the street, shady spaces to set up a tent, and from my understanding, lots of RV folks.

Marshall Alexander

I am on space 69. Challenger 5th wheel with 3 slides

Marshall Alexander
(405) 417-6077 cell

Louise and I will "checking out" Marshall's Challenger on Friday and Saturday nights and making sure it is cooled down for his arrival (Do you suppose he's ever heard Jimmy Buffet's "Gypsy's in the Palace"?:eek:). If anyone else is going to be around early, we hope to see you!

(We'll be headed to a hotel in Appleton Sunday night and for the rest of OSH)

Paul

Although we will be in Camp Scholler beginning this Thursday for the whole event, my good friend Alan and his family will be in SH. I will be around most of the weekend prior. Look forward to meeting some new friends. Paul, I would be up to meeting some of the folks over there. If you have a time in mind let me know

Regards

Louise and I will "checking out" Marshall's Challenger on Friday and Saturday nights and making sure it is cooled down for his arrival (Do you suppose he's ever heard Jimmy Buffet's "Gypsy's in the Palace"?:eek:). If anyone else is going to be around early, we hope to see you!

(We'll be headed to a hotel in Appleton Sunday night and for the rest of OSH)

Paul

The only groceries in there is the beer and mt. dew in the frig. We'll get the rest of them when we get there. I'll be there Sunday afternoon, about 2. If ya'll 'll have the awning rolled out and all the chairs out about that time. We'll just have a party.:D I'd just welcome myself right on in.:)

One evening, we're shooting for Wed. we're making homemade ice cream and my daughter is making a melt in your mouth cocconut cream pie. We may end up needing to have a desert party in SH.

Marshall

Last edited:
beer tent

I would assume Sleepy Hollow will have their beer tent as usual. A bit more peaceful than the one across the street. We are in the s.e. corner of that north lawn of SH (east of beer tent) in the springdale camper. We have cold beverage there. Stop in if you see life there. Ron - Grainfarmer is there also.

I would assume Sleepy Hollow will have their beer tent as usual. A bit more peaceful than the one across the street. We are in the s.e. corner of that north lawn of SH (east of beer tent) in the springdale camper. We have cold beverage there. Stop in if you see life there. Ron - Grainfarmer is there also.

Oh yeh, I forgot about SH's beer tent.

Marshall

Sleepy Hollow?

I've been to Oshkosh many times, but this is the first time I will be camping. What is Sleepy Hollow? Reservations? Camp Schollar? Can someone decode this thread for me :cool:

Generally, if it involves RV's, beer and shade its sounding pretty good.

Thanks

Maps and Pics

Pam just wrote and said our trailer (30' Landgraf) was just set up in Spot #82. I'm not familiar with the layout, but we should be close enough to toss cold ones to each other (or crawl from one site to the other!) :D

Some of the AVC Sport FX bros (Tom Martin, Wayne Hadath and Mark Frederick) may be setting up tents in our front yard, so we'll have some pretty lively campfire discussions, for sure!

I've been to Oshkosh many times, but this is the first time I will be camping. What is Sleepy Hollow? Reservations? Camp Schollar? Can someone decode this thread for me :cool:

Generally, if it involves RV's, beer and shade its sounding pretty good.

Thanks

As a first timer, I've been trying to get the lay of the land and provide my Father-in-Law with some good bearings, since he'll be driving the rental car from MKE while I fly in with AVC.

Here are some links, pics and maps that show where Sleepy Hollow is:

Web Link to Sleepy Hollow Farms

Aerial Photo of the grounds showing SH (this is looking East):
oshkoshaerial04.jpg

Map from Airventure Site with same East orientation. Full, scalable map is available on the EAA Airventure site here:
airventuremap.png

Here's a 3D Google Maps photo, also looking East:
airventure3dmapeup.png

And for the North Up view ;), here's one last Google Maps 3D photo:
airventure3dmapnup.png

Hope that helps...but if you see me wandering around the woods, please direct me to spot 82! :p

C-YA THERE!!

Cheers,
Bob

Sleepy Hollow is really easy to find. Go south in front of the EAA museum on Poberzney Dr. to the curve. Go east on Waukau Dr. about 200 yds and SH is on the south side. Be careful turning in, the driveway is sort of skinny and it's a pretty deep drop off the culvert. Space 82 is almost directly across from me.

Marshall Alexander

Sleepy Hollow is really easy to find. Go south in front of the EAA museum on Poberzney Dr. to the curve. Go east on Waukau Dr. about 200 yds and SH is on the south side. Be careful turning in, the driveway is sort of skinny and it's a pretty deep drop off the culvert. Space 82 is almost directly across from me.

Marshall Alexander

Thanks Marshall...see ya next weekend, neighbor! :)

Cheers,
Bob

condition reports please

I'm in the big RV on the way up. If anyone has any condition reports for SH, I'd appreciate it.

Don

I'll be heading up sat/sun in the big red dodge, tenting it in the front yard.
Just got an email from a friend that flew up in his Navion. said he had to park on the taxiway untill tomorrow hoping it dry out. He called it Sloshkosh.

re Sunday

I should be arriving about 2 p.m. Sunday with my entourage (wife, 2 daughters, one their boyfriends' and myself).
Paul and Louise will be "pre-flighting" our rv for us.:D

Marshall Alexander

Sloshkosh and motor homes don't mix well!

We made it and checked out Marshall's 5th wheel. It is currently in good shape. However, we are watching with our breathes held as they are currently trying to manuver a giant (and clearly heavy) motor home into the adjacent slot. :eek:

Cross your fingers, everyone!

IMG_0498.JPG

Neighbor stuck in Sleepy Hollow entry road

IMG_0500.JPG

Trying to move it into the slot next to Marshall​

Just a Little damp..

Made it in to Sleepy Hollow's back 40 last night before the rain. Managed to "slide" into spot 154. My wife, mom and dad have watched several trailers and motor homes get stuck and need some help from Jeff's tractor for most of the day today. Sure glad he's got one of those. Hoping it dries out tomorrow.

Sleepy Hollow Pirep

I arrived at noon today, and I basically just rode up and parked, no problems, no waits. There was a bit of a line later, but they seem to be working any queues pretty quickly. I didn't get my exact spot because varying field conditions have them in the mode of just doing whatever works.

After we settled in, we rode around on bikes to check out Scholler. See my post with pics here.

As for Sleepy Hollow, it seems to have recovered quickly, at least my area did. The biggest problem I had today was my hair. Where's that VAF cap when you need it?
web.jpg

Sloppy hollow

We are at the back in 127. What a slop hole but Jeff is doing a great job and all sorts of great new friends to chat with. Internet is worse than ever. Now sitting at front gate on ipad just to get some updates. Tomorrow hopefully will be wide open. Kind of weird here with so little air traffic. Enjoy the show. Beats work anyday

3AM and we're outta here. I just found a hotel room in Appleton that's expensive, but worth 5x the cost.

We have cabin #5 reserved and it's a royal dump. We paid for the "deluxe cabin" with A/C, toilets, showers, hot water, kitchenette.

What we got was A/C. A shower that has such a bad leak (in the plumbing) that it completely floods the bedroom area. A hot water heater that hasn't come on yet. A toilet that won't flush, but vents gas into the cabin. And the joy of living with a colony of friendly ants and spiders.

I've been pleading with the folks at the front desk daily for the past 4 days and they've yet to even walk the 50 yards over here and take a look at it. Enough is enough. I've got a 3 month old and can't have him breathing sewer gas all night long and he hasn't had a bath in 5 days.

There's no way I'd ever come back here. What a disaster.

I just plopped down $1,100 to get a hotel room in Appleton for the next 4 nights. Any chance of a refund coming from the folks here isn't expected.

So if you stop by cabin #5 and it appears vacant, it's not. There are a few critters rolling around inside, we just won't be with them.

Phil

Camping at Sleepy Hollow

Wow...reading through this thread indicates SH is a great place to camp with either a tent, trailer or motor home, but a crummy place to stay in one of their "deluxe" cabins which list for $1,195 for the week on their web site. Thanks for the report, and sorry you had a bad experience.

Last edited:
Back