What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's the best traveling guitar?

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
A question for you flying troubadours....What guitar have you found best for traveling?

Baby Taylor

Years ago I bought my son a Baby Taylor. For a travel sized guitar it actually has real nice sound and a really good neck to boot. It came with a nice padded gig bag.

Last edited:
Taylor Baby Dreadnought (3/4 size) is a good choice for travel as stated in the post above, if the mission is 'so I can have an acoustic to play in the hotel, etc', IMHO. The tone is thin and don't look for much carry in the mids, and it rests on your leg differently due to the smaller size, but it beats not having a guitar with you. <g>

My Martin D-28 will fit in the RV if I take out the passenger seat (hardshell case). The Baby Taylor will fit in the baggage compartment no sweat. Take that, United! :D

The Taylor Baby is a MUCH better choice than the CF Martin backpacker, which I found to be virtually unplayable.

Taylor link:
http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars/Baby-Taylor/

Purchase online for $299: at Musician's Friend.

271839.jpg

What guitar have you found best for traveling?

Replies seem to assume you mean acoustic.

But a Telecaster is really a pretty small guitar. It does require however a further thread on the topic "What's the best traveling guitar amp?".

--Paul

Slightly sideways of topic for any bassists out there, you're pretty much stuck. I can either take my Kelly Dragonfly (electric/acoustic, light but bulky) or an electric bass (heavy and thinner but otherwise same footprint). I don't care for the downsized basses but I am tempted to invest in a Stick (very expensive, though). However, there is hope for the equipment. I'm very pleased with my Phil Jones Bass amp (PJB D-200) and I can connect it to a variety of cabinets - headset for practice, small monitor for intimate play, or scrounge a local stack if I need to. It also works well as a pre-amp to PA. Best of all, it's about a single rack space thin and half a rack space wide.

Composites

A question for you flying troubadours....What guitar have you found best for traveling?

I have a Rainsong WS1000 for my houseboat Axe - beautiful tone and since it is carbon fiber and has no wood in it, is not affected by heat and humidity of Northern Arkansas boating (tuning is rock solid). In it's case, it is too large for an RV baggage compartment though. I recently played a Composite Acoustics "Cargo" (http://www.compositeacoustics.com/) which I think is the same size as the Baby Taylor and should fit in a SBS baggage compartment. It's more expensive than the Taylor, but should be more durable and I really like the composite sound. I agree with Doug, my Martin Backpacker will find it's way to eBay soon...

Last edited:
Why naturally, a flying V!

Seriously though, I've traveled plenty with my Jackson King V. Nice thing too about a flying V is that it doubles as its own guitar stand -- one less thing you have to carry. :cool:

But packing that Mesa Boogie half stack into an RV... probably not gonna happen. :)

My Rainsong WS1000...

will fit in the baggage compartment, sans the case.
Love that guitar. Doubles as a liferaft!!

Regards,
Chris

Martin Backpacker

I like the ideal of the Martin Traveler but it from what I'm hearing it is a good ideal that just didn't work out. Is it size, action, or sound?

I'm sure the Baby Taylor is probably the best sounding since it's a 3/4 box but I'm looking at size.

The shape and size of the Martin BackPacker makes it uncomfortable for me to play. I just can't get used to it. It actually sounds better than I thought it would, but that still isn't saying much. I love my Rainsong WS-1000, and if Rainsong made a 3/4 scale my choice would be a no brainer. I only spent about 10 minutes with the Composite Acoustics Cargo, but I was really impressed. It will be at least 3 years untill I'll have a flying RV so I'll wait to see what's available then.

I play my Baby Taylor more than my Alverez even at home. It is a great little guitar for the money. You can even get a nice hard shelled case to protect it.

None of the guitars in this size range match the output of a big body guitar, but for the money I'm more than happy with my Ibanez Daytripper and it sure is portable. I apologize if that offended anyone...
I paid about a hunadolla for mine...great action, nice tuners, fits nicely across the baggage area in the 7A.

Last edited:
This thread has me thinking about buying one also

I found myself laying in bed last night thinking about how nice it would be to have a guitar to take along in the RV. Thanks Webb. So this morning a few laps around the internet and I came up with this. This looks perfect for a guitar that will fit, but have some toughness built in. It seems to sound better on my computers speakers than others, but is that really saying anything? Wow, just looked up the price and they are kind of high for a travel guitar. They are right around 1K. :eek:

Last edited:
I have a Baby Taylor and also a "Big Baby". Both guitars are fantastic. I like the Baby and play it more than the Big Baby. The 3/4 scale is easy on the fingers and makes it very easy to play.

If you are ever in the San Diego area, fly into Gillespie Field in El Cajon and take a tour. The Taylor factory is just a few blocks away from the airport.
Details on the free tours are on their web site.

another vote for Taylor

Nice sounding guitar. Previous to being an Overlord I was a recording engineer for 25 years and I used the BT on some tracks that were sonically dense but needed some acoustic... but as mentioned a nice Tele with a portable amp is fun too. I have an amp that was built for me that runs on batteries and I love that little thing... and it honestly goes to "11" on the volume!

The Stow-Away by the Stewart Guitar Company

The Stow-Away Guitar by the Stewart Guitar Company (www.stewartguitars.com) has a full size neck that comes off and folds into the back of the body (no head). The body is about 80% the size and shape of a Fender stratacastor. Once folded this guitar fits easily into the computer case furnished. Fit and finish is excellent, sound, although I am VERY ham-fisted :(, is excellent. Best of all is customer service, Woody Stewart, a retired engineer is OUTSTANDING to deal with. Price range $500 +/-.

I completely agree with comments about the Martin Backpacker. Sounded like a bad ukelele at best, and had a poor neck. I traded up to a Little Martin LXK2 a few years ago and love it. Very nice size for traveling. Decent sound and neck, as well.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LXK2/

As Paul the Overlord says, the Tele is not that bad to travel with either. I have taken it on a few trips and used one of these for decent headset sound. http://www.guitarsandmore.com/?sec=product_details&product_id=502

The idea of a battery powered amp intrigues me! Good thing the RV-10 has plenty of room!:D

Nice thing about the RV-4, mine has an extended baggage shelf and I have been known to take my full size Martin HD-35 in its hard case along with a couple of duffle bags and a passenger.

I completely agree with comments about the Martin Backpacker. Sounded like a bad ukelele at best, and had a poor neck. I traded up to a Little Martin LXK2 a few years ago and love it. Very nice size for traveling. Decent sound and neck, as well.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LXK2/

As Paul the Overlord says, the Tele is not that bad to travel with either. I have taken it on a few trips and used one of these for decent headset sound. http://www.guitarsandmore.com/?sec=product_details&product_id=502

The idea of a battery powered amp intrigues me! Good thing the RV-10 has plenty of room!:D

Dave,

Had no idea you are a player, we woulda jammed when you were up here!! What kind of music do you play?

Don't know how well they travel, but I have two older Alvarez Yairi's that sound great. One is a 35 year old DY95 (decked out like a Martin D45) and a 40 year old 12 string (Dreadnought). I did treat myself to a new D12-28 (Sunburst) Martin last Christmas. Awesome Axe!!!

Roberta

Travel Guitar

I have a good friend that loves his guitars and travels with guitars all the time. He has quite a few of them and I asked him this question just for fun to see what he said and without pausing he said that the Baby Taylor is his favorite traveling guitar by far.
That seemed to be the overwhelming favorite on this thread. Now I guess I know which one to get if I ever take it up. :)

What do you think, Doug?

Sounds like we have more than enough musicians here to make a CD for Doug to sell with the proceeds going to charity. Now we need to know what instruments everyone can play. I played keyboard and in a former life and had my own band back in the 70's. With all the computer music software out there we could all do our parts at home and, hey Paul how about you being the sound engineer? We need vocals too. My daughter sings on a music show www.hoedown.net and has a recording studio. I bet I could talk her into a little harmony if needed.

Not a bad idea at all!!!!!!!!

Sounds like we have more than enough musicians here to make a CD for Doug to sell with the proceeds going to charity. Now we need to know what instruments everyone can play. I played keyboard and in a former life and had my own band back in the 70's. With all the computer music software out there we could all do our parts at home and, hey Paul how about you being the sound engineer? We need vocals too. My daughter sings on a music show www.hoedown.net and has a recording studio. I bet I could talk her into a little harmony if needed.

Doug/everyone,

Not a bad idea!!! I formally volunteer to do any mixing/mastering of this project. I have been a recording engineer for 25 years and have worked on over 500 CDs and have had two CDs nominated for a Grammy. I'm sure enough of us have access to home or pro studios that we could do this. Since it's close to my heart, I'd nominate cancer research as the charity.

Build your own RV guitar...

Seen these guitars while looking for RV tools ?

http://grizzly.com/sbguitar/sbguitar.aspx

I've always wanted to build some. After all,guitars and airplanes are so similar!

>Gretch Anniversary-1958
>Martin 12-68
>Pre War -Kay
>Ovation -original Balladeer
>+several more no-names
>Bach Trumpet

I read with great interest as this thread evolved last month. I've played guitar for 45 years and reading this thread, and being in the process of building an RV-7, got another case of GAS (guitar aquisition syndrome) and decided to add to my collection. I have had a Martin HD 28 for twenty plus years and that is the sound I based my search upon. My Martin has a big base, full midrange and clean treble.

The two most important criteria for my search were size and sound. I first played the Baby Taylor with a spruce top. Very thin base and over all bright, bordering on "brittle" sound. Next I played a mahogany topped Baby Taylor. This guitar had a much warmer over all tone, however, had a thin base also. I then looked a 6-8 other steel and nylon stringed guitars , but none were as good as the mahoghany Baby Taylor. The salesman then brought out a Little Martin, an LX1. It has a solid spruce top, high pressure laminated (Formica) body and a laminated wood neck. 37 laminations in the neck. The little ax has a good base, acceptable midrange and, to my ear, a thin treble. All in all the best sounding travel guitar I played yesterday. It now sits next to my HD 28. I nicknamed it "Marty". Does the little ax compare to my HD 28, no way! It will, however, fit in a tip up RV-7 and is better than nothing.

If you are looking to buy a new travel sized guitar I suggest you play the Martin LX1 and both the spruce top and mahoghany top Baby Taylors side by side. It all depends on your ear. Just my opinion of course.

69 fender strat

This is a little off the subject, however this thread is the right audience. My dad was in a band in high school and still has his guitar. We had done some research and just want to see what you guys think. So what is a 1969 candy apple red Fender Straticastor (sp?) worth to the right person?

This is a little off the subject, however this thread is the right audience. My dad was in a band in high school and still has his guitar. We had done some research and just want to see what you guys think. So what is a 1969 candy apple red Fender Straticastor (sp?) worth to the right person?

Take it to Nashville. My mother-in-law sold her father's old Martin acoustic at some shop out there. A few months later Vince Gill shows up on a country-western special with the guitar. How do we know it was my wife?s Grandfather's guitar? Vince read the note my mother-in-law packed with the guitar. He then commented how great a sound the thing had. Here's a picture.

She didn't make a lot of money selling it but at least it?s not gathering dust in the back of their closet but rather making music that others are enjoying.

Troy, if you learn to play your fathers Stratocaster, it then becomes priceless. Then you get to pass it on yourself.

Re: Build your own RV guitar...

Seen these guitars while looking for RV tools ?

http://grizzly.com/sbguitar/sbguitar.aspx

I've always wanted to build some. After all,guitars and airplanes are so similar!

Combining ideas with one of the other threads of recent days... maybe Van's next design (the "RV-13") should be an amateur-built guitar kit. How do you suppose an aluminum guitar might sound??? Yikes! :eek:

beavis-butthead-1.gif

traveller speedster

For a travel electric, I bought a Traveller Speedster

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traveler-Speedster-Travel-Electric-Guitar?sku=518703

Note that teardrop armrest part comes off easily (two finger nuts). I leave this off all the time.
Very affordable. The neck is the same scale as a Gibson les Paul, so total skill transfer with this isntrument. It comes with a nice soft shell case, and is really no bigger than a tennis racquet. I take it as carry-on when I go on business trips.
For travel amplification, I used to use the Line6 PocketPod, which has great sounds. But it doesn't have a built-in metronome, and it's a little bulkier than my new product... BOSS MicroBR. It not only has good COSM guitar amp emulation and effects, but it also is a digital multitrack recorder with built-in drum patterns. And it's TINY. It fits in the side pocket of my Traveller guitar case, and with a short guitar cord and small headphones in there, I am fully set-up for jamming and practicing with a package no bigger than a tennis racquet. HIGHLY recommended setup.
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=818

I had no idea there were so many guitar players among us! This is cool... How many "shredders" out there? I'm an aspiring shredder lol. Once I get the plane finished and flying, I hope to spend more of my evenings in the home studio, playing guitar, tinkering with Cubase, EZDrummer, the new Trilian Bass Module when it comes out this Oct... fun stuff!

I wonder if there's some genetic link between the characteristics of RV builders and guitar players. This thread suggests a strong correlation!

Last edited:
Second vote for the Traveler Speedster

I use the Traveler Speedster. I fly for a living and carry the Speedster with me on most of my trips. It fits nicely in small places, is rugged and has a full size neck. If I play it in the terminal, I usually either use my headset or just play unplugged. The rest of the time, I either use the battery operated mini Marshall (Shown on a previous post), or plug into a Tascam CD-1. The Tascam has a built in tuner, effects, and lets you play along with a song, slow it down, change it's pitch, etc. In a hotel room, I output the Tascam into my laptop speakers, or plug my headset into.

Keep jammin and keep building!

David

Back