What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Search Issues

lr172

Well Known Member
I have been trying to find a couple of threads in the RV-10 forum. I am using the sub-forum search option. I get a lot of threads from 2010 and older, but seeing very few results from 2010 to current. I am searching on key words that I know exist in recent threads. I did not have this issue prior to the upgrade.

I have done a few tests with a single keyword and google finds the thread, but the site search does not.

Hoping Doug can have a look at this. In the interim, can someone give me the correct usage of the "site:' parameter if I want to use Google to search only the RV-10 forum?

Thanks,

Larry

Last edited:
Google

DR confirmed there is a problem with the VAF Search function, it is waiting for a software upgrade.
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=189739

I don't think Google can search only a specific forum because Google doesn't 'know' the internal structure of the VAF website.

The other way to look for a thread is to browse through just that forum in VAF, it is a bit more time consuming but it works.

If you know the approximate time frame, you can limit Google searches by date range, but it will go by last update to the thread. Just click the "Tools" at the far right of the Google menu and it'll drop out options for dates and filtering all results versus verbatim.

Using the VAF Search button:

Click Search,

At the bottom, in blue, it says Advanced Search. Click that.

You can define the search by thread or posting, by author's username, by forum title (e.g., RV-10), etc. It seems to work well enough. I just used it again a minute ago.

Dave

You can search Google like this:

site:vansairforce.com intitle:"fuel sender" intext:"model specific > rv-10"

"intitle:" is to search thread titles only

The quotes around the keyword specify that you are looking for exact keyword terms. If you leave the quotes off you get broader results, including some synonyms too.

The "intext:" option will make sure that only pages including the "model specific > rv-10" header will show up.

There is a lot of linguistic machine learning built into Google these days. The forum's built-in search will likely never be able to compete with it.

An easier way to build a query is the Google Advanced Search form:

https://www.google.com/advanced_search

Lenny

I have been trying to find a couple of threads in the RV-10 forum. I am using the sub-forum search option. I get a lot of threads from 2010 and older, but seeing very few results from 2010 to current. I am searching on key words that I know exist in recent threads. I did not have this issue prior to the upgrade.

I have done a few tests with a single keyword and google finds the thread, but the site search does not.

Hoping Doug can have a look at this. In the interim, can someone give me the correct usage of the "site:' parameter if I want to use Google to search only the RV-10 forum?

Thanks,

Larry

You can search Google like this:

site:vansairforce.com intitle:"fuel sender" intext:"model specific > rv-10"

"intitle:" is to search thread titles only

The quotes around the keyword specify that you are looking for exact keyword terms. If you leave the quotes off you get broader results, including some synonyms too.

The "intext:" option will make sure that only pages including the "model specific > rv-10" header will show up.

There is a lot of linguistic machine learning built into Google these days. The forum's built-in search will likely never be able to compete with it.

An easier way to build a query is the Google Advanced Search form:

https://www.google.com/advanced_search

Lenny

Thanks Lenny. Much appreciated!

Back