What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using Call Sign in uncontrolled airspace

JonJay

Well Known Member
There have been some good discussions some time ago about this. Generally, I identify myself by color and type when calling out position, intention, etc....
"White and Red RV, blah, blah, blah......" I do not use my N Number.

I have done this for many, many years.

Today, flying into a field I have flown into dozens and dozens of times, I was scolded by some random guy on frequency, at each phase of flight. "Use your N Number like your supposed too." He continued to chirp each time I announced.
I continued to ignore the guy, by the way, who never did call out his N Number and wasn't part of the group in the pattern. When I landed, an RV landing behind me had a good chuckle at my expense all in fun. He had no issues with not calling N Numbers and commented about that guy being a jerk and tying up a busy frequency with nonsense.

Curious to know. Is there something in the regs I don't know about, missed, or changed? You don't even need to talk at all, so I would be surprised if not using an N Number would be in violation in uncontrolled airspace. I never hear jump planes calling N Numbers out. I never here pipeline guys either. I even heard a Chinook land today. Nothing but what they where, location and intentions, not even color! Shame ;)

I don't see any value in calling out an N Number but am curious about the legality, and simply opinion from others.

By the way, I won't scold anybody over frequency unless I can be positive and constructive, or perhaps if they almost run me over....and you dont know how many times I wanted to call out to that spam can if he was ever going to turn base! (Ya, you probably do).

Last edited:
I am also curious what everyone thinks.

I always report "red Rv" bla bla bla. Seems more informative and less wordy..

+2

What good is my N number to people in the uncontrolled pattern? Can they read it from their position?

I think a color and type is a lot more valuable to identify me.

Here's what the FAA says. But, plenty of people use type and paint scheme anyway. No skin off my nose personally. ****, I'm just happy when I look where pilots say they are and find them.

AC 90-66B, 10.3.1
"Self-announce transmissions may include aircraft type to aid in identification and
detection, but should not use paint schemes or color descriptions to replace the use of the
aircraft call sign. For example, “MIDWEST TRAFFIC, TWIN COMMANDER
FIVE ONE ROMEO FOXTROT TEN MILES NORTHEAST” or “MIDWEST
TRAFFIC, FIVE ONE ROMEO FOXTROT TWIN COMMANDER TEN MILES
NORTHEAST,” not “MIDWEST TRAFFIC, BLUE AND WHITE TWIN
COMMANDER TEN MILES NORTHEAST
.”

Last edited:
Guess the FAR's are pretty conclusive on using the N number.

With the RV's what's the consensus on type? I still use "Experimental 233M", but with 10,000 RV's out there have we earned our own type specific identifier. RV 233M? Vans 233M?

I used to fly a Meyers and they only built a hundred or so of those, but they got their own identifier. Heck, the other day I heard a Wing Derringer on frequency. The controller had to ask about that one.

DEM

This is one of those things like the restriction against using your mobile phone in the airplane. It isn't really the FAA, its the FCC.

47CFR?87.107 in short requires you to use either your N number or your FAA approved call sign.

Advisory Circular 120-26M is the current guidance on issuance of FAA approved call signs. Long story short, you have to have a good reason to be approved.

It is also addressed in the AIM.

So, the guy gets 5 points for being technically correct but minus 10 points for being pedantic over the radio about it. You never know, maybe he worked for the FCC or FAA.

+2

What good is my N number to people in the uncontrolled pattern? Can they read it from their position?

N-number might help if there are 2 or more of the same type like yellow cubs in the pattern, which I experienced once.

It's better than arriving without any radio calls.

It seems like it hardly matters what different pilots think because they'll each rationalize their opinion.

Maybe a review of well circulated operating practices is in order from the likes of FAA and AOPA:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/AIM_Basic_dtd_10-12-17.pdf

https://www.aopa.org/-/media/files/aopa/home/pilot-resources/asi/safety-advisors/sa08.pdf?la=en

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_90-66B.pdf

Of course, these aren't regulatory, but it would be hard to explain away doing something counter to them if something happened. The catchall FAR 91.13 regarding careless and reckless operation could still be used against you.

Fly safe

Self-Announce Position and/or Intentions.
“ Self-announce” is a procedure whereby
pilots broadcast their aircraft call sign,
position, altitude, and intended flight activity or
ground operation on the designated CTAF. This procedure is used almost exclusively
at airports that do not have an operative
control tower or an FSS on the airport. If an airport
has a control tower that is either temporarily closed or operated on a part
-time basis
, and there is no operating FSS on the airport, pilots should use the published CTAF to
self-announce position and/or intentions when entering within 10 miles of the airport.
Self-announce transmissions may include
aircraft type to aid in identification and detection, but
should not use paint schemes or color descriptions to replace the use of the
COMMANDER TEN MILES NORTHEAST.

Last edited:
This is one of those things like the restriction against using your mobile phone in the airplane. It isn't really the FAA, its the FCC.

Sorry for the thread drift. Unfortunately, the current FAA funding bill will make it a FAA restriction.

Who says it has to be one or the other? You could use experimental, RV, and the color.

Actually, "experimental" only has to be used when talking to a control tower. (FAR 91.319 (d)(3)). Not ATC, not FSS, not at uncontrolled fields. At those places, "experimental RV" is redundant. But when talking to a tower, at least the "experimental" is required.

AIM 4-2-4 says you can omit experimental after the initial call. And, as pointed out in a previous post, ACs are only advisory, but deviating from an AC may $till get you a chance to explain yourself to an admini$trative law judge.

When I call in as an experimental, often I'm asked what type. Probably the most complete initial call up to a tower is "experimental RV-8 (pause) 12345," for example. Note that the N in the N number is only to be used when there is no other aircraft identifying information given.

Last edited:
N-number might help if there are 2 or more of the same type like yellow cubs in the pattern, which I experienced once.

It's better than arriving without any radio calls.

It seems like it hardly matters what different pilots think because they'll each rationalize their opinion.

Maybe a review of well circulated operating practices is in order from the likes of FAA and AOPA:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/AIM_Basic_dtd_10-12-17.pdf

https://www.aopa.org/-/media/files/aopa/home/pilot-resources/asi/safety-advisors/sa08.pdf?la=en

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_90-66B.pdf

Of course, these aren't regulatory, but it would be hard to explain away doing something counter to them if something happened. The catchall FAR 91.13 regarding careless and reckless operation could still be used against you.

Fly safe

1) I stand corrected
2) I should have thought this through too.... I love coming into controlled fields and picking out traffic on my ADSb by hearing the tower talk to others with call signs! It opens up the big picture when entering into the Control zone beehive.
(Note: I do pick them out visually and eyes outside. In a busy pattern it helps to be able to divide the guys that also have ADSb out).

Always great discussions...

Here's what the FAA says. But, plenty of people use type and paint scheme anyway. No skin off my nose personally. ****, I'm just happy when I look where pilots say they are and find them.

AC 90-66B, 10.3.1
"Self-announce transmissions may include aircraft type to aid in identification and
detection, but should not use paint schemes or color descriptions to replace the use of the
COMMANDER TEN MILES NORTHEAST
.”

Best answer. Thank you.

No skin off my nose either as you say, I am not too stubborn to change if it makes sense. I am not sure this AC makes sense, but I would guess a lot more experienced and brighter minds deduced this was the safest and best way to go?

As long as folks call out type, and I can find them, I'm good. Way too many just call out an N Number and I have no idea if five miles out means five minutes, or five seconds..... pretty easy to add a call sign into my communications. Honestly, in 20 years, this was a first.

Thanks to all.

"as pointed out in a previous post, ACs are only advisory, but deviating from an AC may $till get you a chance to explain yourself to an admini$trative law judge."

It would be interesting to see if this has ever happened. Like literately someone got violated for saying color and type vs N number.

"as pointed out in a previous post, ACs are only advisory, but deviating from an AC may $till get you a chance to explain yourself to an admini$trative law judge."

It would be interesting to see if this has ever happened. Like literately someone got violated for saying color and type vs N number.

Give me the line. I?ll take the under ;)

Question for FAA (or anyone):
How is it safer to use a random bunch of N#s that no one in an untowered pattern can remember as opposed to type and maybe even color? I’d take the latter any day!!!

The AIM and AC?s are not regulations. They are guidance only and the only time you are likely to be second guessed might be after an accident or incident where there was some connection to mis-identification.

I agree that color and type is much more descriptive than a 3? number on the tail.

I also fly a lot of IFR and into class D airports and have occasionally call myself ?experimental? RV410DP but no controller from clearance delivery to the ARTCC in the flight levels choose to call me anything but RV-10DP.

With as many of us as there are flying around, RV has become as common a type as is Beechcraft is to ATC.

As a new'ish private pilot and even newer RV-6A person, I find the tail numbers to be increasingly useful as ADS-B becomes more the norm. After hearing the call I glance at the area traffic to confirm I know where that person is, and the tail number makes an easy confirmation (if so equipped).

Another alternative......

To meet FCC station identification requirements, FAA guidlines, and my own self preservation interest to help others see and identify me, I make first call on freq. as Yellow and Blue RV NXXXXX, bla bla bla.
All follow-on calls are Yellow and Blue RV Seven Charlie Lima, bla bla bla

And I also do the best I can when making position reports, that I am actually over the position or land mark I am reporting... and not just looking at it 2 or 3 miles ahead over the nose

With the RV's what's the consensus on type? I still use "Experimental 233M", but with 10,000 RV's out there have we earned our own type specific identifier. RV 233M? Vans 233M?

I used to fly a Meyers and they only built a hundred or so of those, but they got their own identifier. Heck, the other day I heard a Wing Derringer on frequency. The controller had to ask about that one.

DEM

I fly a lot of IFR flights "in the system" and always use "RV." Never had any pushback or concern. They all know what we are. However, while they always reply back to me as RV 64LR, it is interesting that over half the time they will describe me as experimental to other traffic. I am guessing regs require them to identify me that way.

Larry

Just another another thought.....think further out. But it’s twice as hard because you actually have to listen further out too.

I like to build a mental picture of what the pattern is going to look like prior to entering the pattern, hence the call 10 miles out. Distance out, type aircraft experimental or not (I’ll do my own homework types/speeds, not everyone does) and a specific call sign helps me build the picture of how the pattern is going to play out well before I get there and adjust accordingly.

By the time I can identify type and color, I’ve already enacted plan A and B and C are ready if needed based on what I’ve heard. Radio is for preliminary info, at the pattern eyes out the window to see if I need to enact plan B/C and adapt. How many no-radio planes are already in the pattern, how many pilots have said east when they meant west or right downwind when they meant left downwind?

Remember everyone has a different knowledge/skill level, let the higher of either concede to the other and make it congenial and safe. I’ve heard many over speaking their “authority” over CTAF, just as many not listening to what is happening. Too much emphasis is put on talking on the radio versus listening to the radio.

Not to sound like a marriage counselor but Way too many people focused on talking and flying without enough listening to what is really going on.

Last edited:
I fly out of a small no towered airport with a tight, short (600') pattern, and non standard entry/exit procedures due to terrain and noise abatment procedures, and a flight school on the field. Having 5 'White cessna highwings" in the pattern/approaching/departing doesn't give one much info. I would much rather have the N number to mentally keep their locations in my head.

As a new'ish private pilot and even newer RV-6A person, I find the tail numbers to be increasingly useful as ADS-B becomes more the norm. After hearing the call I glance at the area traffic to confirm I know where that person is, and the tail number makes an easy confirmation (if so equipped).

Agree. Also, i find it mentally taxing to look for a description in busy airspace as opposed to knowing a type and location. Confirmation on moving map with N-number helps solidify the mental picture - I know where to look. If someone calls a position that isn't confirmed on the moving map/ADSB that gets my attention. Can anyone easily distinguish blue/white from gray/white at 2 nm on a hazy day? Knowing type is more helpful: looking for “Skyhawk 64 whiskey” is easier than “white and blue high wing”.

Last edited:
A few thoughts for your consideration.

1) The point is to provide the most valuable information in the fewest words.

2) When working with ATC with no similar N Numbers, even they don't use the whole number. I believe the AIM says the last 3 after the initial contact.

3) A long string of numbers tells me nothing. For me type is most important. When planning the pattern, I'd need to know if it's a Beech 19 size pattern, a Citation size pattern, or a Cub size pattern. It also gives me an idea of their speed.

4) A bigger problem to address are the people who "chat" to make lunch dates, or give us a monologue about their flight, or fill us in on the latest family news. Frequencies can be very busy.

5) When I'm up with the other Champ at my field, I'm the yellow one, and the other one is the blue Champ. OK, if you insist it will promote safety, I'lm willing to give you yellow Champ 881, and blue Champ 873. Like someone said, the N Numbers do not help, cannot be seen, when you're figuring out who is where.

The reason the FAA wants you to use your N-number at a non-towered field is because they can later identify you from the tapes (yes, all frequencies are recorded).
The FCC only requires you to identify on the initial transmission and then every X number of minutes (I cant remember, but I think it is every 15 min and at the top of every hour? - NO ONE follows it). In that case you could identify yourself on take-off and talk to a tower in route and then land without identifying in the pattern.
This is a classic example of two government agencies not coordinating with each other. At the end of the day, it is the FCC who has sole authority to regulate radio communications, just as it is the FAA has sole authority to regulate airspace.

As far as the OP - the guy was a jack-*** who himself did not follow guidelines or regulation. He is the same guy who pulls in front of you and won't leave the fast lane because he thinks it is his job to regulate your driving.

Question for FAA (or anyone):
How is it safer to use a random bunch of N#s that no one in an untowered pattern can remember as opposed to type and maybe even color? I’d take the latter any day!!!

I would guess that due to the ADSB mandate they are expecting people to see the n number on their screen and be able to locate that specific airplane better. Kind of relying on electronics more than visual cues which goes against everything I was taught as a pilot but that’s probably the idea.

As I was taught you ( DONT HAVE TO ) report anything at uncontrolled fields but that you should. I use “experimental” 10miles out to the south inbound for and runway. that’s it I don’t thpically use color.
In our Uncontrolled airspace half the old timers don’t even make any calls. They just buzz straight in and cut you off. ��.

I use experimental now instead of RV because that’s what ATC calls me when I’m using flight following to other traffic. RV is in my tail number so it’s redundant however at. Usually just says experimental north bound
3 thousand 500 . No tail number no colors when pointing me out to other traffic so figured I’d follow suit.

For now, I do think using the colors of the airplane is a good idea but now that ADSB and the world tracking system are being introduced the N number makes sense.
Otherwise my n number is 3inch tall, don’t think that’s helping anyone visually and if it is your too **** close. ����

Last edited:
I can see an N number on my Dynon screen if the aircraft has ADS-B out.

This is a bit like the folks that refuse to use the correct air-to-air frequency and continue using 123.45 because that's what they've done for years and gotten away with it.

Actually, "experimental" only has to be used when talking to a control tower.

And to put a finer point on this, the "experimental" is only required on the initial call to a control tower. You don't have to say it on every transmission. Just the first one. (This requirement is found in the aircraft's operating limitations rather than in the regulations themselves.)

This is a bit like the folks that refuse to use the correct air-to-air frequency and continue using 123.45 because that's what they've done for years and gotten away with it.

Don't even get me started on this one!!!! :eek:

Lots of people now have ADSB on their screens. But many of us don't and regularly fly airplanes without ADSB or even transponders.

I also fly / instruct out of a busy GA airport. RVs, Cubs, and Barons are not uncommon in the pattern at the same time.

"hey, did you see that Cub you almost ran over?"

"what do you mean, hes not on my screen!"

(long exhale)....

I try to embrace the Both And approach. Screens are great. I love them. I also love good communication and looking out the window.

If there is 3 red RVs in the pattern...than yes that would be dumb to not use your tail number and more exact position (maybe a landmark on the ground). But, if your the only RV, I think its more informative as other posters have said, RVs are becoming more known.

As far as "experimental" in the non-towered pattern, my thought is that this is not as helpful as it could be because there are so many different kinds of experimentals. Pietenpols (sp?) and an RV 8 will approach the airport at different speeds. So both saying "experimental 5 miles out" is not very informative.

For this reason, I sometimes transmit my time from the field.

"Nowhereville traffic, red RV, 5 SE, 2,500. We are 3 mins out and plan on entering the left downwind"

We did this A LOT in the corporate world when we would bring a jet into a non-towered airport.

All just food for thought.

Last edited:
I would guess that due to the ADSB mandate they are expecting people to see the n number on their screen and be able to locate that specific airplane better. Kind of relying on electronics more than visual cues which goes against everything I was taught as a pilot but that’s probably the idea.

I don't believe ADS-B has a mandate to send your n number since you're able to send an anonymous OUT.
The FAA may know who you are, but your EFIS won't.

Last edited:
Mandate to be in all airplanes by 2020 was the mandate I was referencing.

There is no mandate for all planes to have ads-b by 2020. The requirement is to be ads-b equipped in order to fly in A,B & C airspace + >10K. Many planes will be flying outside of rule airspace without ads-b after 2020.

Larry

I've heard it more frequently lately, and have used it myself a few times, on initial callup to approach that an aircraft will reference their location in distance/direction from another aircraft that approach is talking to, based on seeing them on ADSB. In many cases that's a faster way to identify an aircrafts location than "28 miles east of international". Just this morning flying in to work I was monitoring approach from 30 miles out, and made my first call at about 22 miles out - but gave my position as "5 northeast of Zero Sierra Romeo" that approach was already working. It may not be "AC/AIM approved" or even official by regulatory standards - but it works and I've never heard anyone called out on it, myself included.

I don't think anyone really thinks that using your N-number in your call sign is primarily for visual identification.

I also use the call signs, however descriptive they may or may not be, and location to develop a mental traffic picture of the local airport area. If I'm planning to takeoff and hear "XYZ traffic, white high wing Cessna entering left downwind runway xx," I know about where to look. Then after a minute or 2, when I've completed my checklist and am literally ready to go, and I haven't seen nor heard from him about a base leg or final turn, I will specifically try to contact that plane and find out where he is. It is whole lot more effective to ask over the radio, "Cessna 1234, where are you?" than to query the white high wing Cessna about his location.

Just think about it, wouldn't you respond quicker to a direct question including your name like "Tom, where are you?" versus "Tall guy with brown hair and red shirt, where are you?" It is why most all instrument panels have the N-number prominently displayed in front of the pilot instead of the color of the plane. That N-number tells you who you are.

RV 192NM

There are a lot of slower white airplanes out there. I always use RV 192NM to let pattern traffic know that there will be a faster RV approaching the pattern.

But for controllers.....

"Blue and White RV over Fisk, rock your wings!...";);)

Mark, I think you meant "blue and white RV over Fisk, rock your wings, good rock RV, now turn left and return to Ripon...." at least in the 2018 mess!

And to keep this from a thread drift, I use an abbreviated call sign, just type and the last 3 of the N number at noncontrolled airports.

Last edited:
Curious to know. Is there something in the regs I don't know about, missed, or changed? You don't even need to talk at all, so I would be surprised if not using an N Number would be in violation in uncontrolled airspace.
Might want to check that. In Canada at least, if you're flying out of an uncontrolled field but you have an operable radio, you must make radio calls. Are the regs in the US different?

Irrelavent..

With the size most people are flying their patterns these days the color of an aircraft is moot. They are just black dots 4 miles away.

I also use the call signs, however descriptive they may or may not be, and location to develop a mental traffic picture of the local airport area.

^^^ This, exactly. The content of your transmission is for consumption by others operating in the same area. Structure accordingly.

DEM

I'm surprised no one answered this. It's been discussed on the forums before. We have been given several identifiers. See this document, page A132 (page 145 of 598), down at the bottom. -A models are not listed specifically, so I use 'RV6' for my RV-6A. Experimental is also acceptable but doesn't give ATC much information about your capabilities; are you an experimental WWI replica or an experimental V-jet?

On the subject of this thread, I've been toying with applying for a special telephony for my RV-10. 'One For Maxine' to go along with the nose art rather than 'One Four Michael X-ray' would suit me better. Special telephonies have to be pre-assigned and are usually only granted for commercial carriers or for special events, emergency response, etc. But nothing prohibits anyone from applying, so I may give it a shot.

+2

Have always thought the same as you about N numbers., Also color . The intent is to Voice your position in the pattern you cant do the looking for anyone else..

One real benefit of an N number in the pattern is that it allows people to paint a mental picture of where each plane is and their relative movement. I may not be able to recall a list of the N numbers of all the planes currently in the pattern, but when I hear the second radio call with N number and position info from an aircraft in my mind, I'm painting a picture of where you were, where you are and logically where you're going. The brain can do that even if you can't remember the name of who just spoke.

That said, see and avoid of course.

If my home airport's pilots called out stuff like "blue and white cessna on downwind" or "white RV three miles east" no one would know who was who. There are do many RVs and blue and white Cessnas out there it would just be more confusing than no radio a lot of the time.

+1 on that one. I like to hear the N-number and then also see them on the screen - with the N-number. N-number and field position is the best, IMO. Colors can be second guessed, especially if there are a couple of red/yellow/white planes in the patter. I think offering the color could add dangerous complacency if there happen to be more than one of that color in the area.

I am late in the post but I do follow what the FCC states as they not the FAA would do the violation.

As far as using Experimental at a control tower I was told by the FAA center Atlanta and Memphis, that they only require the word experimental on an unfamiliar experimental aircraft that "your RV is a common aircraft and in the database and need not use experimental."

so go figure? I have at PDK in Atlanta never used experimental just RVN507H
or CF 07H if I am on an Angel Flight. CF is one of the mercy flight recognized call
for aircraft participating.

Probably just muddled up the mess.

Smilin' Jack

Change is hard!
I have now switched over and identify myself with an abbreviated call sign:
RV4AA and position.
I sound like a total rookie, mess it up by still throwing in color occasionally, and have to think twice.
Anyway.... after 20 years of doing it one way, and now trying to change isn't easy. I also have more than one aircraft which makes it even harder.

Still hearing no N number in lots of communications. On a recent trip, I heard every derivative of what is being discussed here, from full and complete call signs including type an color, to hearing position only, nothing else.

I will stick with what is "legal" and appreciate the discussion.

Distinctive radio transmissions

Besides the legalities I think an important part of radio communication is the distinctive sound of one’s voice, and this includes the speech pattern as well as the modulation by the radio transmitter. In addition to WHAT is being transmitted by other pilots, I try to listen to the distinctive sound of the transmission. I’m sure we all detect the differences of pilots’ radio calls without effort. If our radios converted our speech into monotone robot-sounding sentences, we’d quickly appreciate the distinctive sound of our individual radio transmissions.

This has been a very educational discussion. Thanks for all of the replies.

Last edited:
To add a little levity to the discussion...

The pilot of a certain well-known unlimited Reno air racer that was based at my home field for many years always self-announced his position using the call "Race 5", which was the number on the tail assigned by the air racing association.

I enjoyed hearing that call when I was in the vicinity of the airport. Regardless of my position I'd break off and let him go first because I knew I'd get an aerial view of a very cool P-51 Mustang entering the pattern and landing.

Call sign

Well I am now with JonJay on this one. I always felt N numbers to be a waste and I used type and color. This is what I would prefer other aircraft to use.
After hearing so many use the ADS-B call sign and reading the regs again, I will now switch to RV 14MW on uncontrolled airports.
I have always used RV 14MW with ATC.
I have once been mistaken for Army 14MW since they kinda sound the same.

Back