What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Planes watching "Planes" at Oshkosh 2013

Rosie

Well Known Member
Hi All,
Tuppergal just showed me a picture of this (on Facebook), and if anyone knows where the full-size image is (or posters at OSH), I would LOVE to have a poster of this for our hangar!!!!!!! :) Rosie

Planes_watching_Planes_at_Oshkosh_2013.jpg

Rosie,

Here you go...1800pixels if you click on the thumb...

You da' man Brantel! Thank you, Rosie

Last edited by a moderator:
Great shot, lots of celebrities in attendance!

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

That just makes you smile

I have seen several trailers for the film and I will make a point of seeing it at the earliest opportunity.

Coincidently (I think) I was flying in the AirVenture Cup Race Sunday from Mount Vernon, Illinois to Oshkosh. Because of the winds aloft forecast the only practical strategy was fly low (500 ft AGL). 55 miles south of the first turn at Dixon, Illinois there was a crop duster working just to the right of the course. Racers were reporting back to fellow racers as a precautionary measure so it was not a complete surprise when I saw him. I saw him pull up, hesitate, wingover and start back down. I'm sure it was just a coincidental thing but but the sun glinted off of the bottom of the wing at the peak of his transition was too much to ignore. In my mind it will forever be Dusty wanting to race.

Bob Axsom

Is that the Mosquito there? I didn't realize it was so small. No wonder it was so fast and maneuverable.

Crop duster

Coicidently (really) two of us in RVs landed at C75, Marshall Co. Ill, for fuel on the way back from Oshkosh. C75 is 50 miles south of Dixon. We heard an earfull from a young cropduster pilot concerning a large number of low level racers who blasted by him at much less than 500ft AGL earlier in the week. He was not happy and had considered calling the FAA.

I do not want to hijack the thread, do not know the details and there are two sides to every story. Maybe this needs to be put in the Safety post section?

George
N444TX, 1275 hrs.

I have seen several trailers for the film and I will make a point of seeing it at the earliest opportunity.

Coincidently (I think) I was flying in the AirVenture Cup Race Sunday from Mount Vernon, Illinois to Oshkosh. Because of the winds aloft forecast the only practical strategy was fly low (500 ft AGL). 55 miles south of the first turn at Dixon, Illinois there was a crop duster working just to the right of the course. Racers were reporting back to fellow racers as a precautionary measure so it was not a complete surprise when I saw him. I saw him pull up, hesitate, wingover and start back down. I'm sure it was just a coincidental thing but but the sun glinted off of the bottom of the wing at the peak of his transition was too much to ignore. In my mind it will forever be Dusty wanting to race.

Bob Axsom

Coicidently (really) two of us in RVs landed at C75, Marshall Co. Ill, for fuel on the way back from Oshkosh. C75 is 50 miles south of Dixon. We heard an earfull from a young cropduster pilot concerning a large number of low level racers who blasted by him at much less than 500ft AGL earlier in the week. He was not happy and had considered calling the FAA.

I do not want to hijack the thread, do not know the details and there are two sides to every story. Maybe this needs to be put in the Safety post section?

George
N444TX, 1275 hrs.

Thats quite different...a cropduster complaining about how others fly....:p

It's heart stopping

I've had gas line airplanes zoom by me very low and it really stops your heart...the unexpected intrusion.

We're really very task-loaded, avoiding obstacles and watching the light bar on the cowl, trying to satisfy that in lining up for the next swath and not clip a tree limb or guy wire working next to towers. Other airplanes zooming by unexpectedly, really startle us, working a heavy airplane near a stall and running 140 MPH across the field.

Every so often, there's a midair between ag airplanes and the outcome is never good, so midairs are on our minds as well and we often let the other guys know where we'll be working for that reason.

Best,

Well stated input Pierre

Just the facts like Joe Friday used to say. Along the emotional lines I have sensed from this post and at another site that people in your line of work are not all that thrilled about the theme of this movie. When I think about it I can see that it could cause some offense but initially it did surprise me. I'm still going to see the movie but in the back of my mind I will realize that the enjoyment is at the expense of some hard working folks.

Bob Axsom

One of the many priceless moments which will stay with me from my first trip to OSH last week happened after I departed. I was enjoying a CAVU morning with a fantastic tailwind at 6500ft about 20 miles south of Wittman when I looked down to see an ag plane spraying fields far below me. I watched the graceful passes and turns for a couple minutes and thoroughly enjoyed the moment. :)

Last edited:
My Family really enjoyed getting to see "Dusty" perform at the afternoon airshow and then see the movie Friday night!

Last edited:
Great Photo

I was at the premiere of the movie Planes. There was over 15,000 people watching the show. It was great to see such a turn out! When I look at my fellow pilots, including myself, most seem to be on the older side of life. It was fun to see a crowd at EAA much younger than myself. There's so many options for our youth today, I hope the freedoms we enjoy in aviation continue for sometime!

We were so beat by that time of the week, and had to leave early Saturday, so we didn't get to the premier. Which leads to my question...how was the movie?! :)

Movie

Saw a preview this evening in Jacksonville. It was worth a 2 hour wait (especially for free seats)... Fantastic movie! Well worth the time.

Planes 2

We shut down the helicopter ops a couple of hours early so Disney could get the "planes watching planes," deal set up. Very cool.

Overheard some conversation that the set up might be for a Planes 2. Makes sense.

They were completely unprepared for the volume of people who showed up to see the movie. Thousands got turned away. I think it gets released this week.

Saw it last night---Wow! The soundtrack kicked butt. ( saw "Rush" last week and I thought that had a good soundtrack until "planes.

Mark
BA in music :)

Back