What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

throttle quadrant and side panels

818 AV8R

I have seen two different styles of the throttle quadrant / side panel installation. One is the standard version as per the kit and has the throttle quad that is flat and the side panel extends forward and level towards underneath the panel.

The other installation I have seen is where a curved top quadrant is used and the side panel angles up to meet the bottom of the panel. Pics can be found on the "show your panel" thread.

I know either quad is available for purchase but would like to know more about the side panel variations. Is this a mod kit or just customized work done by individual builders. Very curious, thanks.

Last edited:
Roll your own

Those various side panel mods you see are all custom done by the builder.

ok thanks. I had a feeling such, but since the few that i have seen all look nearly identical i thought maybe someone had plans or a kit for the change. If there were one it would definitely be intriguing as the sloped up panels seem to offer better potential switch placement.

In installed the rounded top throttle quadrant without any modification to the side panels or top panel...it fit perfectly.

Here's a pic of mine. This is just like the flat top one with no mods required to mount.

FP16032009A00006.jpg

My -8 is still a few months from flying. I decided on this setup so no switches were on the panel, not having to reach for the throttle (maybe my arms are short, I don't know), and arm rests on both sides. I hope the time I spent on them proves to be worth it....

photo4mlh.jpg

Jeff,

Thats the setup that has my attention. I really like what you have there. I have not yet felt both options but i like the switches on their own lower panel. How much work is involved to make the change?

Ya know i think i would really need to "feel" both prior to making my decision. Although the aft placed throttle with sloped up switch panels seems more ergonomic at a glance. IMHO

if anyone would care to post info or pics on how to make the aft placed quadrant and sloped up switch panels, it would be very much appreciated.

RV-8 side consoles

Just as some background information on the side consoles, to my knowledge, Lyle Hefel was the first to build the side consoles in an RV-8. The rest of us who have done it are just following in his tracks to one degree or another. Lyle is a machinist and incredibly talented builder, a multiple offender, and has won something at OSH with every RV he has built (I'm guessing it's 6 or 7 with his latest coming this year?) including Grand Champion. And.... he's a very nice gentleman.

Here are a couple shots of my Lyle Hefel impersonation ;)

Jim Gray
RV-8 N747JG

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/n747jg1/IMG_0952.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/n747jg1/IMG_0947.jpg

Test-fit yourself first!

To anyone who's thinking about fabricating a "sloping side panel" modification in their RV-8, I would strongly advise you to spend a little quality time actually sitting in a similarly-equipped airplane first. While I love the look of this modification, I have relatively long arms. So when it actually came down to it, moving my throttle inboard and aft to accommodate the sloped panels would have created some pretty bad cockpit ergonomics. Sitting in a real cockpit is the only way you can decide if it'll be right for you.

I envy you guys who find it comfortable! :)

Last edited:
And that is exactly why I want to "feel it out" first. I wouldnt say I have long arms but i wouldnt call them short either. I do love the look as well.

Test fit

I totally agree with the "test fit" recommendation. I love the RV-8 but have always felt that it had several ergonomic issues with the cockpit. I fly formation on a regular basis and wanted my hand to be able to comfortably rest on the throttle at all times. Van's standard throttle location was WAY too far forward for me, and also somewhat hidden behind the vertical side post running up from the main spar area. It just didn't feel right, both in distance and angle. With the custom side console, I was able to position my throttle right where my relaxed arm would lay, more like a military fighter design.

My other issue was with the sitting position. It always felt like the stick grip was WAY lower than I wanted, well below my natural arm position laying across my leg. We all know it has to be that low to clear the bottom of the instrument panel when full forward, so by removing the ramp under the bottom seat cushion, it lowered my thigh and fits me much better now.

Jim Gray
RV-8 N747JG

Jim,

I agree with you 100 percent on ergonomics. I need that same type of "natural fit" feel mainly to make formation flying smoother. Even when flying my decathlon my hands seemed to fall right into place which allowed more focus on the formation work.

Throttle Quadrant in RV6A

I have the same Quad that I'm trying to workout how to install so it looks part of the lower panel in my RV6A build. Does anyone have pics of an install that one of you guys have completed other than the side mount.
Rv6A-building
Hope to have it flying in March.

818 AV8R said:
Jeff,

Thats the setup that has my attention. I really like what you have there. I have not yet felt both options but i like the switches on their own lower panel. How much work is involved to make the change?

Jason,

I'm guessing the side panels took me about 2-3 days per side to construct. Installing the switches and painting took additional time.

818 AV8R said:
if anyone would care to post info or pics on how to make the aft placed quadrant and sloped up switch panels, it would be very much appreciated.

Here are a few shots of the left panel going together:

img3009hs.jpg

img3020p.jpg

img3026v.jpg

img3027g.jpg

The string was just to keep the panel straight.

img3028o.jpg

Constructing the side panel is pretty straight forward....032 aluminum, 90 degree angles, and cardboard templates. The main area of focus is a secure mount for the quadrant itself. I eliminated the left side of the quadrant and fabricated a curved piece of .040 to mount the quadrant to the vertical post.

Back