What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV of the car world

All you turn in your man cards right now!

Miata is not the RV of the car world. :mad:

These are air/oil cooled with horizontal cylinders that slide off just like your Lyc. most of all it has a wing and it'll fly!
porsche9934s019.jpg

Last edited:
All you turn in your man cards right now!

Miata is not the RV of the car world. :mad:

These are air/oil cooled with horizontal cylinders that slide off just like your Lyc. most of all it has a wing and it'll fly!
porsche9934s019.jpg

Now THAT one wins this HANDS DOWN in my book! I LOVE the C4S Calvin! I'd have one if I could...for now, I get around in this...

11-14-09-029w.jpg

I roll around with a 2008 Saturn Astra! I might need to get a clunker so my "rare" car wont depreciate too much... lol

Costly web site

There are some web sites that can be expensive to visit for one reason or another. They might steal your identity or give your computer a virus, but VAF has given me more ideas on ways to part with money than any other site. I'm still working on the RV-6 tip-up, I'm still trying to find a router that is compatible with the HP home server, but the MX-5 we bought last week has returned driving to the level of FUN. I owned a Honda S-600 back in 1969 that was a blast to drive. http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/photos/gallery#item=84348 Leno's Garage has one and I looked like a clown driving that car. Like Jay, my height did not match the typical Japanese driver the car was designed for. Now I have air conditioning, a convertible hard top, and a lot of fun whenever I drive. My wife loves to drive it also:
2009%20Mazda%20MX-5%20N4DT.jpg

The N number is already assigned but we could still put it on the car.

I guess fun cars go hand in hand with fun airplanes!
My non-RV toys are a 66 Porsche 911 that I took down to a bare metal shell and rebuilt between 1981 and 1990, and an 85 Porsche 944 that I'll be starting to rebuild as soon as the RV is out of the basement. I've also enjoyed a few Pontiac Fieros (NO, they don't all catch fire....) and I currently have an 88 Fiero GT that I totally rebuilt about 8 years ago. Hmmm......no wonder I never have any spare time or money.......... :D

Hey Rod,

In 1978 I restored a '67 912 Porsche Targa, sold it and bought my first plane (65 Cherokee). The white Porsche is a 1988. Guess it's a hard habit to break.

Have fun.
David

In my opinion the only car that matches an RV would be the Ultima GTR. I sometimes refer to my RV7 build as the "airborne Ultima"
(7,0l V8 685hp weight around 2,000lbs, 0-60 in 2,6s) - the car that is...
And yes, I built them :eek:)

When I saw the title to the thread my first thought was it must be an Ultima GTR. Beautiful cars--I especially like the white one. When I finish the RV this is on my short list of 'next' projects to schmooze the wife for.

David, I would have guessed 89. I Love the early G50 cars.

BTW, I have ground looped them more then I would like to admit.

My two teenage boys would not be caught dead driving a Miata :)

DSC_0016.JPG

or Flying a nose wheel airplane :)

Rob Hickman
1968 Camaro RS
N401RH RV-4

Last edited:
Well, as much as I like MX-5s/Miatas I'm not so sure they equate to the sbs airplanes quite as well as one of these
Mini2.jpg

Its an absolute hoot to drive, and puts nearly as much of a grin on my face as the RV, its also kinda practical - if we can get the stuff in the Mini we will probably get it into the RV.

Pete

PS, Oh how I wish I had saved my pennies and bought an Elan S4 when I nearly could 20 years ago ...

Last edited:
Well, as much as I like MX-5s/Miatas I'm not so sure they equate to the sbs airplanes quite as well as one of these.
Interestingly enough, the MINI was on my shopping list when I got my Miata. It's a fun car, manuverable, powerful in the "S" version (fairly gutless in the regular version), compact and useful. Downsides (for me, anyway) are FWD and its associated problems, price and complexity/reliability.

If I lived in the city and wanted a performance car, it'd be a MINI.

TODR

The NEW Fiat 500???

Getting rave reviews in Europe at the "Mini-slayer"...

(although I will be curious to know if it will overcome the companies "Fix it again Tony" reputation in the US?!?!)

Ryan in Madison

Regarding the Mini...

I learned when I was five and gave up my tricycle, I quickly learned front wheel drive stinks! :D

Fiat 500 is certainly very popular - especially in "Arbarth" trim. FWD used to be a problem, but the projectile above has 175+ turbo'd bhp turning the front wheels and is so much more manageable than my 1984 XR3i that only had 105bhp. I don't know what electronic trickery is at play, but it is a real pleasure to drive. I test drove a 2 litre MX-5 a year ago, the Mini definitely has the performance edge and is very close on handling.

Pete

Hey guys,

I recently joined the forum and am surprised to find my first posting having to do with cars. As a former owner of a MINI and a current owner of a 2001 miata LS, I felt the need to respond to some of the miata bashing on the site. Yes, if you want straight line performance than the miata in it's factory form is not the car for you. However, if you want a car that can give you more driving enjoyment than anything else under $50,000 than the miata is for you. How many cars offer four wheel independant suspension with unequal length A-arms? (the corvette has a leaf spring up front) Or how about TWO different manual transmissions? (a five speed stick and a six speed stick) How about an optional limited slip differential? Or 50/50 weight distribution? Anyone know what the most raced automobile is in North America? Yes, it's the mazda miata. I must also point out that there are numerous aftermarket sources to augment the power and handling of the miata, most notably BEGI in Texas. There is a reason the miata makes just about every major car magazines equivalent of a "top ten cars" list every year, because it is a fun, tossable car with a fantastic gearbox and great weight distribution. I would also like to add that there was an english car in the 60's that was the equivalent of a "hairdresser's car" until a texan shoe-horned a V8 between the front wheels.

Sean

Combat Veteran's Car

2007 Mazda MX-5 Gran Turismo - Dark Blue with tan soft top. :D
2005 F-250 SD CrewCab Lariat FX4 6.0L Diesel :cool:
2000 Golf Cart w/4" lift kit and "Bubba" tires (airpark transportation) :rolleyes:

Car traded in for the MX-5: 2002 Audi TT ALMS Special Edition. :(

Both (MX-5 and TT) listed as "hairdresser car". Let's see some of them in the bad places that I've seen in combat and then maybe we can compare.

By the way, I do enjoy all the benefits of the "adult go-cart" without the $300 oil changes of the Boxster. Just like all the speed of a Cirrus, at 1/5th the cost with my RV6.

Last edited:
Back