What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview Question

RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
I'am confused about a wiring issue. its a common thing to use shielded wire on any thing carrying data, (rs232) My question is why all the skyview dynon harnesses does not contain anything shielded. for an exemple i have a SteinAir drawing and the wires for the transponder requires to be shielded but the harness i got for it direct from dynon does not have any shielded wires. which route should i go?

I used the non-shielded stuff from Dynon for most everything and it works perfectly. The only place I ran shielded was for strobes, mags, and anything to do with audio.

Some experts say that the runs in our tiny little planes aren't long enough to need shielding on most things. I'm not an expert on the matter but I do know how nicely my Dynon works! :)

I used the non-shielded stuff from Dynon for most everything and it works perfectly. The only place I ran shielded was for strobes, mags, and anything to do with audio.

Some experts say that the runs in our tiny little planes aren't long enough to need shielding on most things. I'm not an expert on the matter but I do know how nicely my Dynon works! :)

FWIW my wiring is the same. I have had no issues whatsoever in 9yrs and almost 1,000hrs of flying with the SkyVieww. YMMV

:cool:

That’s good, I was wondering why Dynon sells harnesses with regular wires when people says to use shielded.

Good to hear that Few of you guys used the regular wire harness and no issues.

Considering that Dynon is the one making and testing the product, and since the certified version uses the same wiring as the experimental side, I don't have any inclination to change what they say to use. It obviously works - why try to change it?

Considering that Dynon is the one making and testing the product, and since the certified version uses the same wiring as the experimental side, I don't have any inclination to change what they say to use. It obviously works - why try to change it?

Not to mention it's a whole heck of a lot easier to install than a bunch of shielded!

Keep in mind the network cable from Dynon for the SkyView install is a bundle of twisted pairs. The twisted pairs provide the means to exclude coupling with other wires.

That said, I do use shielded wire for:
- Four #22 conductor shielded wire for the ADS-B receiver
- Four #22 conductor shielded wire for the autopilot network connections, a #20 for power and ground and a #22 for autopilot disconnect (servers connect via a standard 9 pin D connector.
- Four #22 conductor shielded wire for both pitch and roll trim servos.
- Either three or four #22 conductor shielded wire for all headphone runs, and to connect the radios to the audio panel.
- Shield wire for GTN-650 serial runs.
- Three #20 conductor shielded wire for the AeroLed NAV/Strobes.

Carl

Carl, so you didnt use any of the dynon wire harness? if the shielding was so important you think dynon would include that on the wiring.

Carl, so you didnt use any of the dynon wire harness? if the shielding was so important you think dynon would include that on the wiring.

Not what I was trying to say. I used the SkyView network wire for all network connections - other than I listed. For this cable shielding is not an advantage.

Recommend you stay with the standard SkyView network cable.

One tip - buy the long network cable and extra D connectors and pins from Stein. Cut the long network cable to the needed lengths and add your own D connector. Saves a lot of money and you get the exact right length.

Carl

One tip - buy the long network cable and extra D connectors and pins from Stein. Cut the long network cable to the needed lengths and add your own D connector. Saves a lot of money and you get the exact right length.

Carl

To add to what Carl said, for the love of what ever you believe in buy it from Stein! The stuff from Dynon has a white hard shell/cover over the wires that is truly truly a pain to work with! I very quickly switched to the stuff Stein supplies...

As far as the D-subs he mentions, the correct quantity is a metric c-r-a-p ton! Seriously, I was amazed how many of them were used in the whole system.

Yeah I got a 30’ Dynon harness so I can cut and make smaller ones but I have to agree with you about how hard they are. Maybe I will return that ine and buy a stain one.

Yeah I got a 30’ Dynon harness so I can cut and make smaller ones but I have to agree with you about how hard they are. Maybe I will return that ine and buy a stain one.

Don't you just love the spell checker in action?

Think of the Skyview Network Cables as you would any other Network Cable such as CAT5 or 6 Ethernet. They are NOT Shielded nor is Shielding needed. Twisted Pairs provide signal noise reduction in such applications.
Incidentally, to save some $$$, you can buy the 30 footer from Dynon and a bunch of DS9 connectors and make all the shorter cables you need. You'll also get good practice crimping the tiny closed barrel connectors. I made all my cables that way and have no problems.

Back