What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone know a DPE?...

RonS

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a nice thanksgiving. Now that I've finished my RV-14A, I'm thinking about picking up where I left off many years ago on my instrument rating...

Does anyone know of a DPE that is willing to do an instrument check ride in an RV that only has GPS navigation (instrument certified of course)? I'd really hate to have to go back to a spam can to complete my instrument rating.

Has anyone here done their check ride in their RV? Anyone done it with GPS only?

Thanks.

Ron

Fred Curtis

Ron, check with Dublin (Ga.) Air service. I’ve done my CFI renewals with him, in my RV-10 and he welcomes experimental. Stand by for his phone number when I get to the airport this morning.

Correction: Fred Houston....my bad. 478 2904649 is the phone number for Fred. It may take several tries since he does charter work and may not get the message immediately.

Best,

Last edited:
Since your in north Georgia, you could try John Scruggs at KMNV in Monroe, Co. TN. I don't know how he feels about experimentals, but he seems to do a lot of exams in my area.

SCRUGGS, JOHN WILLIAM
661 SANDPIPER DRIVE
VONORE TN 37885
Phone: (404) 408-1129

No one has answered the real question. Yes, you can find DPE’s who will fly in EAB aircraft. But, do they read the ACS as saying that gps only nav is sufficient? I don’t, but apparently some examiners read the rules differently. You have to find one of those. And then hope some FAA type doesn’t over rule him and rescind your certificate.

Back