What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BC462-H Spline Alt Mount on IO-540

DavePlaneGrips

Well Known Member
B&C is closed so I'm hoping folks here might know. The BC462-H instructions talk about mounting the alt to the vacuum accessory pad with studs, and they give you either UNF or UNC nuts to accomplish this. Unfortunately my vac pad blocking plate seems to be attached with screws, not studs. Is it okay to use screws, torqued to the proper spec for what I'm guessing is 5/16-18 hardware (I haven't checked yet if the stud torque is different than the screw torque)?

Also, is it possible to mount this to one of the other unused accessory pads below? I recall the left one is for a mechanical fuel pump, I don't know what the right one is for but it has studs. Are the drive ratios even the same as the vac pad? Will it even fit?

Ignore red circle from previous post.
2RzYAAc.png

You engine doesn't have the vacuum pump drive assembly installed on that accessory pad. I believe you would need to acquire the drive assembly as well as 4 studs to install in the engine to mount the drive assembly and then the alternator.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

What Mahlon said. Also, you can use the lower right hydraulic pas, but have the same issue with the drive assembly missing.

Larry

Try Ebay. You need one from a 540. Looks like the going price is around 400.00
Maybe someone on the list has one they removed to save weight, that they want to sell.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Thanks, looking for the assembly now. Left a message with my engine builder so hopefully I hear back. This part from eBay would be my least favorite option.

Back