What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Suggestions for Designing and Painting Warbird Scheme

Gash

Well Known Member
I'm about two months out from flying and am starting to realize that I have put off painting for too long...I think I'm going to be flying a naked airplane for awhile until I can get on a busy painter's calendar. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Anyway, now that I'm getting serious about the paint scheme, I've decided that I'd like some professional help designing what I have in mind for a sweet P-51 style paint job. The problem is that I have no idea who to call. I've Googled around a little bit and seen a couple places, but really haven't come up with much.

Can anybody give me some recommendations for reputable designers/painters who have a good track record doing warbird-style paint schemes? Thanks!

Insignia source

smokey211600.png

The insignia paint masks and the nose art decals were all from Woodway Sign, 1222 Sandy Plains, Houston, TX 77062. I recall the owner is Jeff Fox. He does lots of warbird work. Got mine in 2005 so you need to check on current prices.

(281) 461-4600

The Stars-n-Bars on the wings are 24" diameter and 20" on the fuselage. The fuselage lettering is 13" and the tail numbers are 5". The military information block just behind the cowling is a paint mask too.

Bud Anderson helped me measure all the markings on "Old Crow" and I scaled them down to RV-8 size.

Any good paint shop can do the work. You can have all the insignia done with vinyl if you like. I just preferred to paint all but the nose art.

I can't help with painting, but we can certainly offer design assistance and can make vinyl graphics or spraymasks to help you and your painter to get the job done.

We've done more warbird schemes on RVs than I can count. You can see a few on our website. http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/

Oh wow, that looks great. Thanks for telling me about your website. I especially like the "Complete Military Graphics Set for RVs and other aircraft."

Paint Scheme

I can't help with painting, but we can certainly offer design assistance and can make vinyl graphics or spraymasks to help you and your painter to get the job done.

We've done more warbird schemes on RVs than I can count. You can see a few on our website. http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/

I heartily reccommend Vince and his son Blake for any graphics you need. Great to work with and very reasonable prices.

Painter Pat Low, Prescott, AZ

He's an artist and reasonable. He has painted lots of RVs and Rockets. But take a number.

Interested? PM me.

Paint Shops in Pacific NW?

I have a US Navy paint scheme pretty well nailed down and pondering self paint or professional. Anyone out there have any shop recommendations in the Pacific NW?

I spoke with Vince Frazier of Flyboy Accesssories tonight about a design. Great guy and knows his stuff! I'm looking forward to coming up with a design...this is fun stuff. :)

Thanks guys! You're too kind! :)

Actually, my son, Blake, is the graphics wizard. He's got a flare for it. A very bright and talented young man. We'll both be at Oshkosh and hope to meet many of you (again).

Last edited:
Back