What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dangers of Carbon Monoxide vs Good detection

RV10inOz

Well Known Member
After a recent sobering report on a 6 x fatal crash by the ATSB, I decided to not just install a few Aithre CO detectors, but to start stocking them in Australia, along with Aerox oxygen systems.

A year ago (after OSH) we got a few of these Aithre detectors and fitted them among our mates planes. We were impressed by the results, and surprised at the same time :eek:

So I finally plucked up about $20K and invested in stock of Aithre and Aerox product for the Australian market.

Given that 99% of VAF is not here in Oz, I am sure this should not be seen as feathering my own nest, and I have nothing to gain from telling the story.

As many people are installing either Dynon Skyview or Garmin G3X the beauty of these devices is they integrate with either. There is a model with a gateway for the Pulse oximetry product and the O2 tank monitor product to allow those levels to be integrated also. The beauty of that is alarm and data logging is available in your EFIS system. You can use the iOS app as well if you wish.

For those with old school panels there is a portable unit, which besides being the same highly accurate and long life sensors internally, is completely portable and can be mounted anywhere. It also works with the iOS app, and can be paired with the app enabled phone and a headset to give alerts that way.

Of course you can buy cheap CO detectors anywhere, but not all have published accuracy and alarm levels, and not with an APP that you can adjust levels or data log from. In a car or motorhome, if you get to the point a high threshold is triggered you just escape. That is not so easy in flight. So spending a few extra bucks might be a life saver.

I am happy to answer questions, but if Jim Ruttler is on VAF, he might jump in too, he is an RV10 owner also from Ketchum ID. :)

https://aithreaviation.com/collections/all

Sensorcon CO Inspector

Another great product is the Sensorcon CO Inspector. It's an industrial grade device and I know several pilots using it. It shows CO concentration accurately down to 0ppm, responds in <20 seconds, and has automatic audible and visible alarms. The battery seems to also go forever---year 3 and counting here.

No connection to the product or store, but if you buy it from the manufacturer (link below) try the discount code aircraft2017 which brings the price down to about $104.

Here's the manufacturer's web store:
https://sensorcon-sensing-products-...on-monoxide-detector-meter?variant=4193480964

Made in USA too!

Attachments

• 31RfhH24daL.jpg
    31RfhH24daL.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 143
Back