What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Star Wars Canyon/R-2508?

The airspace isn’t restricted at all.. it’s a MOA which is only voluntary. You can fly the route anytime, however I would recommend staying away during the week, and only go through it on the weekends. You can get the R-2508 users handbook on google, and take the lat and longs and put them into ForeFlight.

It is on my bucket list to fly this. I saw the article on, and wasn't aware that the military aircraft is now restricted from flying low level.

Down here in San Diego county, we have Carrizo Gorge, and that is a really fun little canyon to fly down. Just follow the railroad tracks north from Jacumba. You can also see the Goat Canyon Trestle.

That portion is just to the North of the restricted area. However, NOT inside restricted airspace. you can fly in there without restriction. there is a dirt strip to the southeast (by the gas station) that is used often by backcountry airplanes.

some advice.
-fly west to east always for terrain, emergency options, and the military training route above you (now due to the rules).
-be careful with the backcountry planes flying way lower due to landing/takeoffs.
-don't do stupid stuff. There are plenty of cameras everywhere and everyone's actions can negatively impact others. Nuff said on that one.

I thought I remembered that somebody had done it:

Star Wars Canyon in an RV-7

I haven't gone there, but I have done similar in Utah desert canyons. Do a high pass first to get a good look and make sure there are no power lines or other "persons or property on the surface".

I thought I remembered that somebody had done it:

Star Wars Canyon in an RV-7

I haven't gone there, but I have done similar in Utah desert canyons. Do a high pass first to get a good look and make sure there are no power lines or other "persons or property on the surface".

-That was just as awesome as I thought.
-I still want to do it, but it would be a "I have terminal cancer, what have I got to lose if the engine quits?" flight.

I think the guy who flew the RV7 posted on here that he contacted Joshua Approach to ensure there was no military activity before he attempted the flight.

Since the terrible 2019 F-18 mishap the military has restricted flight below it, but The War Zone has an article about a Falcon 7X doing a photoshoot through it: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...-flew-through-star-wars-canyon-like-a-fighter

I know sometimes you can get permission to go through restricted areas when they're cold, has anyone tried to do it in a RV yet? https://www.edwards.af.mil/About/R-2508/

Being a retired Military Helicopter guy, I have flown through "Hot" restricted areas many times. The one in particular is in my home state, and I know it like the back of my hand. There is a tower, or (in off times) a range control that can advise what ranges are firing, or what drop zones are active.

Once checking in, I have been cleared through many times. A lot were flying an EMS helicopter, but a many times was in my RV super 8.

Once a buddy and I were coming back from southern Indiana and I told my wingman to monitor the range tower frequency and stay close. Once cleared up the east side of the Restricted Area low level by tower, we got to do a great tree top (plus 50-ish feet) tour of the area. I'm sure we freaked out a bunch of troops training on the ground, when they heard and then saw two Super RV-8's zinging along tree top level at 170 ish knots:)......

Back