What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy / Windscreen cleaner polish

By the way, also in the Flight Jacket kit is Oil & Exhaust Remover. This stuff does an incredible job of cleaning up my belly after blowing smoke. It emulsifies the oils so they come right up as opposed to other cleaners where it just loosens it and smears it around.

GUNK on a wet rag will do the same thing.

Canopy / Windscreen cleaner polisher

Hey guys,

The windshield of my -7 has some very fine white paint over spray on it. I can still see out of it fine, but sometimes when the sun reflects on it, at a certain angle, it looks terrible.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a safe cleaner/polisher that I can use to try and remove the paint flecks?

Thanks

Darren

Novus #2: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/cs/cleaners_plastic/novuspolish2.php
Use sparingly.

If really bad or you have deep scratches, Novus #3: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/novuspolish3.php?clickkey=3033989
Then #2.

After cleaning, use Novus #1 (and use this for all cleaning):http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/novuspolish1.php?clickkey=3033989

I used #2 to remove paint fog that got under the masking on an RV-8 canopy. Worked perfectly.

I carry #1 in the plane and it is the only thing allowed on my glass.

Carl

I used NON acetone fingernail polish remover. It worked perfectly. I bought the
Pre soaked wipes.

Hey guys,

The windshield of my -7 has some very fine white paint over spray on it. I can still see out of it fine, but sometimes when the sun reflects on it, at a certain angle, it looks terrible.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a safe cleaner/polisher that I can use to try and remove the paint flecks?

Thanks

Darren

What kind of paint was the overspray from? Rattlecan paint should come off with mineral spirits which is approved for acrylic. 2 part paints could be more problematic and require more rubbing with possible swirl marks. I have very good luck with clay bars on my cars. It will get off even 2k paint overspray if light. I can't see any scratches in the clear coat afterwards, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't see them on clear acrylic. You can try it in an inconspicuous area.

EDIT: I now remember having my plane on the driveway when I sprayed my cowl and other F/G parts (2K single-stage). I got light overspray all over the plane, including the rear canopy (unfavorable wind shift I didn't notice). Came off easily with the clay bar and detailing fluid. I don't remember any scratches that it left on the acrylic.
Larry

Last edited:
Canopy / Windscreen cleaner polisher

I believe Steinair used to sell a plexicleaner polisher by the name of Allclear. I couldn't find it listed on their online store and also not listed at ACS. I used this product the last few years and was happy with the results. Any one know where it is still available?

Jim
RV9a
Flying since Sept 2013

Don't feel bad. Aircraft Spruce has a very finicky search function. I have missed items many times, and then found them with a slightly different search term. They are not up to Google standards.... but a good company nonetheless.

Suggestion on cleaner

A friend of mine suggested I use "Behold" furniture polish spray to remove bugs and other junk from my RV after flying. He suggested it also to clean my canopy. I've now used this product for almost a year and really like the ease of use, job that it does and price ($1.67 a can). Anyone else use this product? My friend has used this product on his Bonanza for over ten years with no ill effects to the paint or plexiglass Windows.

Local motorcycle shop sells a product called "Original Bike Spirits" spray cleaner and polish "roadside detailer". I use it on the entire plane, leading edge, canopy the works. Cost is about $6 a can for 24 oz. They don't want to harm the motorcycle fairing on a $40k bike either.

Stuff like furniture polish on plexi is exactly what not to use. It will clean it up just fine - but damage it as well.

Get the Novus line of products. This stuff is cheap and you need not experiment on your glass with stuff that you could easily regret.

- For everyday cleaning, Novus#1: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/novuspolish1.php?clickkey=3042112
Get the half gallon, it will last for at least six years of cleaning.

- For fine scratches (or paint fog) Novus #2 followed by Novus #1: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/cs/cleaners_plastic/novuspolish2.php

- For deep scratches get Novus #3 followed by #2 and then #1: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/novuspolish3.php?clickkey=3042112
Most people never need to use #3.

Make sure you frequently replace/clean your polishing cloth.

Carl

Hi Jim. I have used the Allclear on both my C-152 and RV-10 and like it a lot. My bottle ran out last summer and I purchased the Rain-X for acrylic at Walmart, and am just as happy with that. The plus side to that is any rain beads right off. Dave

Ditto

Stuff like furniture polish on plexi is exactly what not to use. It will clean it up just fine - but damage it as well.

Get the Novus line of products. This stuff is cheap and you need not experiment on your glass with stuff that you could easily regret.

Carl

Ditto on Carl's suggestion.
However Dan Mauer who has painted hundreds of planes and dozens of RV's and my Cozy, while cleaning up a few dust defects in the paint using 3M "Finesse it", ran his buffer with that product right up onto the plexiglass, he said he's been doing that for years on planes he's painted to make old plexi look new.
I'd guess "Finesse it" is a very similar product as Novus #2, they look, feel and perform the same in my experience. I know I can go direct from 1500 grit to perfection using either product when repairing a scratch.

Tim Andres

I bought a 64 ounce jug of the Novus #1 polish and use a small 8 oz spray bottle stored in my baggage compartment to mist it on. I have used about 1/3 of the jug in 115 hrs on the Hobbs. I am very anal about cleaning my windscreen and canopy before every flight! The Novus #1 does a great job removing bugs and shines up great too! I also used a small amount of #3 and #2 to remove small scratches and swirl marks. Good products. :D

Best cleaners for canopy?

What are you guys using for day-to-day canopy cleaning? I'm not so concerned with scratch removal (I've got some Meguiar's stuff that works well for that, and I've heard the Plexus recommendations), but something mild for bug and smudge duties. Thanks!

What are you guys using for day-to-day canopy cleaning? I'm not so concerned with scratch removal (I've got some Meguiar's stuff that works well for that, and I've heard the Plexus recommendations), but something mild for bug and smudge duties. Thanks!

Best thing I've found is liquid dihydrogen monoxide applied with a synthetic chamois.

I've been using plain water on a terry cloth towel. I place the dry towel on the wind screen, pour clean water on it and let it marinate a few to loosen the dried bugs. Dry with a clean dry cloth. Works very well.

Ammonia Free Windex and a microfiber cloth, for the occasional really stuck on things Turtle Wax Bug And Tar Remover.

I first spray the plastic with soft water until the water runs off the windscreen with the surface dust. I then use a clean micro fiber to wipe the water off. Each wipe is from top to bottom, and I turn or fold the micro fiber so that each wipe is with a clean piece of cloth. I then use 201 plastic polish spray from Aircraft Spruce to polish the windshield, again with a clean microfiber using up and down vertical strokes.

It's a technique I learned when I was actively flying sailplanes and it works well for me. The most important thing is to try and rinse the dust off first, as that's what causes the scratches the impede visibility. YMMV

~Marc

ElCheapo furniture polish. Definitely not windex. Also, my homo sapiens digits leave scratches.

Never any household stuff like Pledge.

Novus #1 for everyday cleaning.
Novus #2 for any light scratches or fog (like paint overspray)
Novus #3 for bad scratches.

A 2 quart jug of Novus #1 will last for a decade of use. All are available at Aircraft Spruce.

Carl

Never any household stuff like Pledge.

Novus #1 for everyday cleaning.
Novus #2 for any light scratches or fog (like paint overspray)
Novus #3 for bad scratches.

A 2 quart jug of Novus #1 will last for a decade of use. All are available at Aircraft Spruce.

Carl

Exactly. The Novus products are a good value and work well.

If my canopy is dusty, I'll give it a squirt with plain old water to wash the dust off before I begin rubbing it with anything.

Hmmm. I know cropdusters that use pledge by the case. A can per day. What's your problem with it?

Exactly. The Novus products are a good value and work well.

If my canopy is dusty, I'll give it a squirt with plain old water to wash the dust off before I begin rubbing it with anything.

The advice I got to remove dust before do anything else was to use water on a hose and use the palm of my hand under the running water to get the dust off, as you can feel if any dust is there and if it is going to scratch by the feeling on your skin as you move hand in vertical stokes. If any gritty feeling can adjust pressure on hand till dust gone, and can feel when dust gone.

REALLY like this stuff. Easy on and off, unlike plexus where it seem as you can't get it all off without looking from all angles and rubbing and rubbing....

Since I had tried about everything else under the sun, I ordered some of the Brillianize. It's wonderful stuff! I like it better than any canopy cleaner/polish I've used in the last ten years. The 32oz bottle is going to last a long time; it takes very little to get the canopy spotlessly clean.

Since I had tried about everything else under the sun, I ordered some of the Brillianize. It's wonderful stuff! I like it better than any canopy cleaner/polish I've used in the last ten years. The 32oz bottle is going to last a long time; it takes very little to get the canopy spotlessly clean.
Another Brillianize convert. Just got a bottle and tried it today...fantastic results! Thanks for the heads up, guys. :):)

Back