What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What might be a reasonable VM1000 replacement

gnuse

Well Known Member
I have been wondering what would be a good choice to replace a VM1000. One of the requirements would be a similar size. Not much room for any additional width in my panel. The VM1000 cutout is 5" x 5".

The VM1000C if they are still available. It has the same physical size display except it is color. All the sensors except for FF will need to be changed. I did the swap in my RV-4 two years ago.

Replacing my VM 1000 w/MGL Discovery Light.

Finally "got permission" to upgrade my pannel and will replace the VM1000 w/a MGL Discovery Lite. Any experiences out there with same replacement? Keeping all the sensor except Oil temp, oil press. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I Will have a VM1000, DPU and MP tranducer for sale soon. (All together) Let me know if anyone interested before it gets listed. Other than partial backlight not working @ 100% all works just as designed

I had the dilemma of replacing a VM1000 (POS) about 4 years ago. Since JPI had purchased VM, I thought they would either help with replacement/repairs or offer some upgrade path. No joy on either. I ended up with a Skyview 7" display and EMS module for a cheaper price then any one of the engine display systems offered by say JPI or EI. Seems overkill but the display is much better in sunlight than the older D10. Also gives you the audio alarms. The CHT and EGT, sensors will be reusable. Actually could probably use them all with some tweaking of the EMS setup and you were inclined to want to spend time tweaking.

Now that GRT has turned up the engine monitor feature set in their Mini EFIS product, I would highly recommend the Mini. Go for the Mini-X and you'll have a complete, stand-alone EFIS system which will also display engine parameters.

The Grand Rapids Mini features a very bright, crisp display, is light, consumes little power, and will easily fit in the VM1000 hole. I'm trying to convince my hangar-mate to do this very same swap in his RV-8A.

Back