What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO360 exhaust

Mikeandmaz

Hi,

We are hoping to buy a new exhaust system for our -7 with an IO360M1B engine. It appears there’s a shortage of 2” pipe and so the systems now available from Vettermans are being produced with 1 3/4” pipe. Does anyone have experience with this reduced diameter exhaust? Any ideas how it might effect the performance and engine longevity?

Cheers,

Mike

Heat muff

Hi,

We are hoping to buy a new exhaust system for our -7 with an IO360M1B engine. It appears there’s a shortage of 2” pipe and so the systems now available from Vettermans are being produced with 1 3/4” pipe. Does anyone have experience with this reduced diameter exhaust? Any ideas how it might effect the performance and engine longevity?

Cheers,

Mike

How is that going to work with the heat muffs. They wre all designed for 2" pipe. You might reach out to Dave Edwards.
He makes the Turbo Heat Muff sold on Spruce. He can custom make the muff.
Dave Edwards
(702) 306-3590
[email protected]

I have 1.75 exh on my 320 and happy. Bigger is not always better in a non-turbo application, at least upstream of the cross over intersection. I believe Vetterman saw a 1 o 2 HP gain on the dyno with the smaller pipe and consistent with what I have learned about velocity benefits in cross over exh systems, though most of the benefits require tuning the pipe lengths prior to the cross over. Vetterman obviously sells heat muffs for the smaller pipe.

Larry

Last edited:
How is that going to work with the heat muffs. They wre all designed for 2" pipe. You might reach out to Dave Edwards.
He makes the Turbo Heat Muff sold on Spruce. He can custom make the muff.
Dave Edwards
(702) 306-3590
[email protected]

Ummmm...I have 1-3/4" pipes, ever since it was built 10 years ago. And Van's has heat muffs for *both* sizes, 1-3/4" and 2".

So I don't think it's a "shortage" of 2" pipes, nor is there any problem finding heat muffs for 1-3/4":

https://store.vansaircraft.com/1-3-4-exhaust-heat-muff-vent-dl-05.html

Pipes

Let me set the record straight. Like a lot of products, there’s shortages and now it’s 2 inch 321 tubing. I originally designed most of the systems and yes we used 1 3/4 pipes in all parts of the system. Fast forward to incorporating mufflers we went to 2 inch tail pipes for those and then decided to incorporate 2 inch tail pipes on a number of systems. I really didn’t see much power differences but noted the sound was different. No either size won’t effect engine longevity. Vetterman

Back