What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do I know rpm yellow and redline on new mattituck?

dwranda

Well Known Member
I am getting my airworthiness inspection done this Thursday and the inspector from the faa asked if I had the rpm limits programmed into my efis. The only thing I did in my AFS5600 was put in horsepower. Do I need to input those rpm yellow and redline numbers somehow? How do I even know what they are for my engine?

Usually the maximum RPM is shown on the data plate (its the RPM for rated power in most cases). There really isn’t a “yellow arc” for most Lycomings in terms of the engine - you can run maximum as max continuous. However, your Prop/engine combination might have an “avoid” area - check your prop manual.

Mattituck usually just refers you to the appropriate Lycoming operator’s manual for the same engine model - and those can be easily Googled…..

Usually the maximum RPM is shown on the data plate (its the RPM for rated power in most cases). There really isn’t a “yellow arc” for most Lycomings in terms of the engine - you can run maximum as max continuous. However, your Prop/engine combination might have an “avoid” area - check your prop manual.

Mattituck usually just refers you to the appropriate Lycoming operator’s manual for the same engine model - and those can be easily Googled…..

Thanks Paul,
I do remember now the rpm listed on the data plate. It says "rated at 185 HP at 2700 rpm". My Catto prop is 180 HP design RPM of 2750 with a redline at 3400. A quick search as you suggested found a lycoming 180HP max at 2700. I'm assuming that my redline should be 2700 then correct?

Thanks Paul,
I do remember now the rpm listed on the data plate. It says "rated at 185 HP at 2700 rpm". My Catto prop is 180 HP design RPM of 2750 with a redline at 3400. A quick search as you suggested found a lycoming 180HP max at 2700. I'm assuming that my redline should be 2700 then correct?

Yes - almost all of the O-360’s have a 2700 redline. Check with Catto to see if you have any mid-range yellow arcs for the prop. These would be for harmonic problem areas.

I suggest that you set all the green, yellow and red limits for all engine sensors before first flight. Depending on the EFIS, if these aren't set, you could have warning alarms going off for non-warning conditions on your first flight.

If a Dynon/Skyview, turn off the AOA audio until you have time to fly the test profiles in Phase 1.

Back