What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More trouble with new Vividia VA-980 v5 borescope

lndwarrior

Well Known Member
I sold me VA-400 due to two reasons. The first was the image quality was not that great. The second, and bigger, problem was the never-ending problems with getting the scope to work with any Android device using a direct USB connection.

I tried every camera program that Oasis Scientific recommended and none of them worked consistently with either my Samsung S10 phone or my Samsung A7 tablet via the USB port. The camera image would not even appear on any of the dozen or so apps I installed. Occasionally, the OTG View program would show the image and I could run it for a short period of time and then the image would disappear.

So I sold the VA-400 and bought the VA-980 v5 brand new. I received it today and am more than a little frustrated that I am having the same problem. When plugged directly into the USB port, the camera will not connect, or display the camera image using the recommended OTG View program. So far I have tried two other "recommended by OA" programs that don't work either.

Is anyone using this borescope and able to connect to a Samsung device? If so, can you tell me what camera app you are using?

Thx
Gary

"USB endoscope camera for Samsung, Redmi, Sony, Huawei"

Took me a few tries to find an app that worked as well. Using it on a Pixel 2XL Android 11.

"USB endoscope camera for Samsung, Redmi, Sony, Huawei"

Took me a few tries to find an app that worked as well. Using it on a Pixel 2XL Android 11.

Well that did work, thank you!

But what a PITA!

1. Download the App from the Amazon website (not the Amazon APP Store)
2. Download Amazon APP Store to install. (not the Amazon website)
3. Open the app the APP store to install.
4. This first version has almost no functionality
5. Select in the camera app to "Upgrade"
6. Takes you back to Amazon website (not the Amazon APP Store)
7. Download "Upgrade" from Amazon website & pay the $4.99
8. This does not upgrade the app you originally installed. It installs a new, second app.
9. Go to the Amazon APP store and install the new app.

The "upgrade" has very little camera functionality. Camera pics and video record, with almost no other functions of any kind. You can't even rename the videos in the app.

My final thoughts are, if you have only Samsung phones or tablet - buy another product. I've heard it works better on Apple and possibly some other manufacturer's devices.

There is zero support from the manufacturer as well. And the documentation is very poor. For a product in this price range the overall experience is far below what I expected.

I have this one from Amazon. Been very impressed, especially for the price ($55). Cable is also semi-rigid so you can bend to position. No stupid mirrors, three cameras instead. The two side cameras have different focal lengths.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221013-073027_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221013-073027_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 292
  • PICT0011.jpg
    PICT0011.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 204
Well that did work, thank you!

But what a PITA!

1. Download the App from the Amazon website (not the Amazon APP Store)
2. Download Amazon APP Store to install. (not the Amazon website)
3. Open the app the APP store to install.
4. This first version has almost no functionality
5. Select in the camera app to "Upgrade"
6. Takes you back to Amazon website (not the Amazon APP Store)
7. Download "Upgrade" from Amazon website & pay the $4.99
8. This does not upgrade the app you originally installed. It installs a new, second app.
9. Go to the Amazon APP store and install the new app.

The "upgrade" has very little camera functionality. Camera pics and video record, with almost no other functions of any kind. You can't even rename the videos in the app.

My final thoughts are, if you have only Samsung phones or tablet - buy another product. I've heard it works better on Apple and possibly some other manufacturer's devices.

There is zero support from the manufacturer as well. And the documentation is very poor. For a product in this price range the overall experience is far below what I expected.

Interesting. I only found this app because it was a free download in the Google app store. Sorry you had to go through the whole Amazon thing for it.

Back