camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2022, 10:25 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Our three RV’s have every combination imaginable - hinges, screws, and Skybolts (actually MilSpec) - in all locations. And. They all work! I can’t say that I’d “never use any of the methods” but my favorite combination is probably hinge pins on the sides and rear of the lower coal, with Skybolts across the top. But I can get the R-6 cowl (all screws except hinge pins on the rear of th lower cowl) off in about three minutes - so its all good…..
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 10-03-2022, 10:56 AM

Default Converting from piano hinge to SkyBolts on RV7

Since we are discussing the pros and cons, I would like to convert the piano hinge along the aft top of the cowl to SkyBolts. What is the process and how difficult and time consuming is it?
Old 10-03-2022, 12:20 PM

Default Hinge removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanzatom View Post
Since we are discussing the pros and cons, I would like to convert the piano hinge along the aft top of the cowl to SkyBolts. What is the process and how difficult and time consuming is it?
Installing Skybolts is no problem.
Removing the hinge may take some time.
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/2022, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:00 PM

Default Boelube

I can see individuals during the build stage making individual choices but when I see someone wanting to take most likely days (weeks) to modify their current fasteners then if painted even more of a PITA I wonder how bad the issue could be. I have hinge pins all around and love the look and ease to take cowling on and off. I even have a 3 bladed prop. I do know if you don’t use Boelube wax EVERY time they are a pain but other than that they install and remove very quickly and better yet the clean look is great. I do admit that if the engine is hot and you do need to remove the top aft hinge pins a little troublesome but wait 15 mins and no problem. I did remove them once after a 5 minute shutdown and that was a little hot but not the end of the world. How often do you need to remove them after a very short time ? During install I find the hinge pins a help to “ladder” up each side 3 hinge pins at a time each time inserting the pin to hold it while I go to the others side. By the way I’m not young but getting inside still not really a problem. Can someone define the exact issue with hinge pins ?
RV-14A QB builds (2017), Lycoming 390 Thunderbolt arrived July 2019, Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 300-72, Earth-X batteries, Beringer wheels and brakes, Parts became real airplane 8/15/2020. Started RV-10 Nov 2020. Empennage arrived (Built) Working on QB kits. Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 3 blade HRT 378, Earth-X batteries, Beringer wheels and brakes, real airplane hopefully early-mid 2024. Paid subscriber
Old 10-05-2022, 03:04 AM

Thanks chaps - plenty to go on, here!
Old 10-05-2022, 08:12 AM

I use hinges over the top, the longitudinal and vertical sides. I used the Skybolt blind fasteners at the bottom because the hinge access is problematic at the bottom with the muffler getting in the way.

For the top hinge, I cut a small access hatch directly at the centerline on the top of the cowl after finding my friend's RV8A top hinge removal was somewhat difficult digging inside the oil cover door. The only person to see the access hatch is the pilot when sitting in the cockpit. The hatch is out of view from the ground perspective.
Days to First Flight: 999
Painting: 99% completed
Donation paid through 2022
Old 10-05-2022, 10:03 AM

Default Another data point

Just to add what I decided to go with:

Sky bolt fasteners around the firewall and piano hinges on the cowl sides. Wanted the look of no fasteners on the sides, but ease of removal around the firewall. So far happy with my choice.

Dave
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7VoBh6e5R
Old 10-05-2022, 07:23 PM

Default Skybolts!!

I used Skybolt on both of my 7's. Absolutely no issues and would do it again. I even used them on the wheel pants. 5 minutes on and off to remove the front of the pant to check tire pressure.

Skybolts are the real deal. Made in America and not a knock off like the other brand.
RV-7 N717AZ Painted and Complete
2021 Outstanding Workmanship Sun N' Fun
2021 Gold Lindy Grand Champion Kit Plane
2022 Copperstate Fly in Grand Champion/Best Metal
2022 Reserve Grand Champion Sun N' Fun
Old 10-05-2022, 08:12 PM

On both my 7A and my 10, I used the hinges along the sides of the cowl, but on the my first plane (7A) I used Skybolts around the firewall..... and I didn't really like them.

I didn't like how the Skybolts hung down below the cowl, so that every time you put the top cowl back on, you risked scratching the forward fuselage paint. I also had a few that the retainer clips would not hold in over time.

On my more recent 10 build, I just used #8 screws, tinnerman washers and nutplates. Instead of $500 in Skybolts, I have about $20 in fastener costs. With a powered screw driver, it takes maybe a couple of minutes longer to get the cowl off, but there is nothing hanging down to scratch the paint.

After building a plane with both methods, I think I would use the screws and nutplates on any future builds.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnPossible View Post

After building a plane with both methods, I think I would use the screws and nutplates on any future builds.
Same here. The -6 has screws across the top of the cowl and the -10 has MilSpec quarter turns. Airplane #3 would go back to the screws.
2019? (actually 2022) RV-10 N46BX