What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vibration and loud noise frequency

erikpmort

Well Known Member
Flew Christmas evening under a full moon. Shortly after take off felt a strange vibration and noise in the headset and landed immediately. The next day during daylight hours I inspected everything and went up and got the same thing.

Had my a and p check out the motor with the cowl off. Found nothing. Annual was only 2 weeks ago. Figured they messed something up.

Went up today with him and it wasn't as pronounced. But we looked around the airframe and found the strip on top of the slider roll bar was separating in front from the canopy- looked like it could have vibrated and resonated to make a loud noise.

I always try to tell people to NOT use that as a loading handle but it's hard to get people to remember.

Anyway I'm hoping that is the problem and I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced it. I'd also like to know what material I should use to glue it back down to the canopy and seal it off.

A couple flights before this I noticed more air coming in the. Slider gap than before but just figured the canopy didn't get as good of a deal. Now I know.

You might try Hysol to glue it all back down. This epoxy adhesive was recommended by my Tech Counselor for adhearing the fiberglass windshield molding to the upper metal skin and for the windscreen fairing on the slider canopy. I used it on some test pieces of plexiglass on metal and fiberglass on metal and literally destroyed the test pieces trying to take them apart. It's good stuff and available at Aircraft Spruce.

Go to West Marine and get West Epoxy in caulking gun tube put some tape on windscreen next to fairing pry it up a run a bead under front edge of fairing.Next make tip larger and run a nice thick bead between roll bar and underside of fairing wait 24 hrs and good to go.Will this work for you have no idea I'm just sitting in my chair .I used 3 bids of carbon fiber on fairing around top of roll bar because I knew everyone grabs it climbing out also used the West in caulking tube on gap between roll bar and fairing and I think you could walk on it with no harm.
Bob

Back