What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Mini

jthocker

Well Known Member
Got a brand new GRT mini x to install in my now Single display Garmin G3X touch panel. Ordered it with the back up battery and can't figure out how to turn it on! No where in the install manual is how to operate the unit with the back up battery!!!!!! Maybe I missed it somewhere but all I can find is "apply power to the unit to turn it on" WTF! Widget where are you?

Reading the manual, there is no actual on or off switch or widget, see 2.3 Power Connections

You do have the option of wiring power via a switch that you can use to turn the unit on and off go figure.

Applying power is meant to make it boot, the internal battery is then charged by the unit

Cheers

Last edited:
Got a brand new GRT mini x to install in my now Single display Garmin G3X touch panel. Ordered it with the back up battery and can't figure out how to turn it on! No where in the install manual is how to operate the unit with the back up battery!!!!!! Maybe I missed it somewhere but all I can find is "apply power to the unit to turn it on" WTF! Widget where are you?

Jon,

It is "automatic". :)

Add power to the unit and it charges itself. Probably came fully charged.

You lose all external power and it switches to backup.
(Actually it gives you 45 seconds to decide if it STAYS ON (press a button) or goes OFF).

No user required input required otherwise.

I have two installed. So far, worked as advertised.

James

The backup battery activates automatically when external power is removed from the unit - you cannot operate on the backup battery without first applying external power.

When the external power is removed you have "x" seconds (don't remember exactly, maybe 30) to push a button to keep it operating on the backup battery, otherwise it turns itself off. Once on backup battery, to turn it off you hold the right hand knob in for ~5 seconds.

Seems a bit dangerous for a backup, doesn't it? Say you lose alternator and battery due to some fault, or you decide to turn off the master because you suspect electrical arcing/fire/whatever. With your attention diverted to dealing with the bigger problem, you either a) forget to push "stay on", or b) fat finger the thing and accidentally push "turn off". Now there's absolutely no way to turn on your backup battery-powered EFIS?

Serious design flaw there in my opinion.

Seems a bit dangerous for a backup, doesn't it? Say you lose alternator and battery due to some fault, or you decide to turn off the master because you suspect electrical arcing/fire/whatever. With your attention diverted to dealing with the bigger problem, you either a) forget to push "stay on", or b) fat finger the thing and accidentally push "turn off". Now there's absolutely no way to turn on your backup battery-powered EFIS?

I had no idea the Mini operated this way. I chose it over the Dynon D6/D10 because I assumed it operated similarly but would not get so scrambled during aerobatics.

Now I patiently wait for the X Team to save me and for Stein to cut me yet another panel!!!!:rolleyes:

If you tun off everything, or lose everything, the ONLY thing now illuminated will be the Mini with big flashing notice for 45 seconds screaming, HEY, PUNCH ANY BUTTON TO STAY ALIVE....

There is NO, turn off button on the flashing screen.

I don't see why you all are creating a problm that doesn't exist here.

Last edited:

That's easy...

Apply power. Red to red, black to black.. Battery ..on

What's the question? :)

It was meant to be so simple even Garmin operators could run it. I simply apply power to my GTN650. No on/off switches there either.

Last edited:
If you tun off everything, or lose everything, the ONLY thing now illuminated will be the Mini with big flashing notice for 45 seconds screaming, HEY, PUNCH ANY BUTTON TO STAY ALIVE....

There is NO, turn off button on the flashing screen.

I don't see why you all are creating a problm that doesn't exist here.

If some of this is not tongue in cheek, I too was wondering what the real issue here was (aside from documentation).

Is there a different mode of operation that is preferred or desired?

<<This is not challenging anyone, just curious. I assume that if there is a much better mode that GRT can (and might) add it.>>

As mentioned (though not out in the documentation yet ... I hear that that is being worked on) the operation is IF all power goes away for whatever reason, you get a BIG message that IF you want it to KEEP running on battery, press any button. If you don't look at it for 45 seconds and don't touch it at all, it powers down.

There is also a battery charge indicator in the upper right corner.

NON-ISSUE

If you need your efis in a mode of flight in order to keep the shiny side up, I am next to POSITIVE you will notice the big screen blink off and notice the Mini lit up. It would have to be an exceptionally bad instrument scan to miss this.

No big deal for me, this is how the older dynons operated as well, hit a button to stay alive. I'm considering selling the D2 and putting a GRT Mini in my -4 to supplement the G3X...if you feel like selling your Mini you know where to find me!

The functionality of the Mini is very close to that of the legacy Dynon equipment. I suspect most of the conversation here reflects the thoughts of two camps - those who have flown with the equipment, and those who have not yet had the joy of doing so.

As has been pointed out here, an in-flight power failure will present a really, really obvious pilot decision point. When all the other boxes have gone black you're going to naturally poke a button on the Mini to keep it going. It becomes as instinctive as punching the Master Caution Acknowledge button - you just do it as part of your emergency recovery procedure. It will become muscle memory.

The way we train ourselves to develop this muscle memory is really quite straightforward. Every time we shut off the master switch, we are going to see the "battery power" message come up on the Mini. We will become habituated to seeing it appear. We will also become habituated to either hitting a button to keep the Mini alive, or to letting it die after the 43 second timer expires. After only a few power cycles on our panel I was already accustomed to this mode of operation. It really, really isn't a big deal.

For those who perceive this method of operation as a safety of flight issue, it may be worth your while to install an Essential Buss and corresponding backup battery. This would allow the pilot to see the main buss fail, then see the Mini pop up its battery operation warning screen. If the pilot opts to continue operations the pilot can then make whatever switch settings are necessary to activate the Essential Buss. If no Essential Buss is present, the Mini's internal battery acts like an Essential Buss - all it requires is one button push to activate that Essential source of energy to keep the EFIS functioning.

The functionality of the Mini is very close to that of the legacy Dynon equipment.

There are two major differences in all Dynon EFIS systems that have backup batteries from what we read described by the OP:

1) They do not power down in flight without a button press. They only count down when on the ground. In flight, you get a STAY ON and POWER OFF button that persist until you hit one.

2) If they do turn off, you can turn them on by holding button #1 for two seconds. No external power is needed to get them to boot. In fact, many people boot them off the internal battery when they get in the plane before they turn the master on.

Remember, your EFIS might lose power because the fuse, circuit breaker, wire, or even internal power supply fails. The rest of your panel might stay lit up.

Last edited:
There are two major differences in all Dynon EFIS systems that have backup batteries from what we read described by the OP:

1) They do not power down in flight without a button press. They only count down when on the ground. In flight, you get a STAY ON and POWER OFF button that persist until you hit one.

2) If they do turn off, you can turn them on by holding button #1 for two seconds. No external power is needed to get them to boot. In fact, many people boot them off the internal battery when they get in the plane before they turn the master on.

Remember, your EFIS might lose power because the fuse, circuit breaker, wire, or even internal power supply fails. The rest of your panel might stay lit up.

Thanks "dynonsupport". Good info.

Got this from GRT tonight ... (theirs does NOT power down in flight either).

============

It can't be turned on with a button. Only external power can turn it on. (The hardware works this way and can't be changed by software.)

If you are "in flight" the auto-power-down function is inhibited. You will get the external power loss alarm and that's it. If you land long enough for the system to transition to "not in flight" mode (20 sec) while on battery, then the auto-power-off function will reactivate and you will get the 45 second auto-power-off notice.

============

Just FYI to those who were seeking answers.

James

Well, it works as advertised! Thanks to all for their comments, especially Widget and "Cool Breeze"!

They didn't have the battery option finished by the time I left GRT, otherwise this would be in the manual. :rolleyes: Glad y'all figured it out.

Rumor has it some double secret airshow technology of some sort...but I guess we'll have to watch one of their shows to find out! :)

Cheers,
Stein

I love this interweb thingy....

RUMOR has it it's some DOUBLE SECRETY thing...

We can hardly wait to confirm this....

Ho Ho Ho everyone!

Thanks to John an all for making me not stupid. I just got off the phone with Stein. He sold me the Mini X and a G3x touch for my RV8. Stein said this was a interesting thread. I read the GRT manual and figured I just did not get it.

I also have a backup battery option for the G3x and mini. Sooo, if my alternator and main battery die the backup battery will take over and I could then shut down the MINI X with a switch and before the 45 seconds time out and I could put it on its own battery. Or I could wait for my backup battery to die and then hit the button on the Mini X and use its battery.

Buy this time I should be out of fuel and nothing else will matter. Unless I am in some really remote area one would think I should be on the ground before any of this.

Thanks to John an all for making me not stupid. I just got off the phone with Stein. He sold me the Mini X and a G3x touch for my RV8. Stein said this was a interesting thread. I read the GRT manual and figured I just did not get it.

I also have a backup battery option for the G3x and mini. Sooo, if my alternator and main battery die the backup battery will take over and I could then shut down the MINI X with a switch and before the 45 seconds time out and I could put it on its own battery. Or I could wait for my backup battery to die and then hit the button on the Mini X and use its battery.

Buy this time I should be out of fuel and nothing else will matter. Unless I am in some really remote area one would think I should be on the ground before any of this.

Don't worry.. If all this stuff happens, Murphy will already have arrived at your doorstep.

Back