What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Fairing issues

Buzz J

I purchased an after-market fairing which appears to be very thin. Without fiberglass/fairing experience I don't know if this is acceptable. Isn't the fairing supposed to be a bit more rigid (more plies) throughout the central sections. I've not seen another finished RV 12 to compare. I do not want to glue it to the canopy until I'm sure it is the correct one...Also, Vans directions say to attach it with epoxy/flux. The Help group CDs say to attach it with Permatex The Right Stuff, a strong adhesive silicone, to make the canopy easily remove able without destroying fairing and canopy. I deeply appreciate any sage advice. Buzz

Buzz, I have seen several of the Viking fairings and personally, don't care much for it. I don't think it compares in any way to the fiberglass layup according to the manual. The layup is far sturdier and if built properly looks considerably more professional. The layup is much cheaper and is not really that hard at all. It just takes some time to make it right. jmo.

Thx for the tip! How about the adhesive...To make the canopy more easily removable in future years without having to remake a new fairing as well?

Buzz,

I bought the pre-made fairing also and ended up doing the layup anyway. The issue was not the fit, the molded shape seems to be pretty good and with a careful trim it looks like it come out with a smooth appearance. What changed my mind was the inside the canopy view of the black adhesive between the fairing and the acrylic. I wanted the color to match the interior paint on the canopy frame, so I ended up mixing some West gray epoxy color in the resin. Time wise I ended up spending three weeks doing the layup and finish where the pre-made fairing could have been finished in a day. Weight wise, I am sure the layup is several times that of the pre-made unit's. As for replacing the canopy some time in the future, that did not really enter in to my consideration.

Advice: If you do the layup, checks the tips on filling the gaps where the glass is likely to sag before you start the layups. The EAA Hints for Homebuilders also has a good video on homemade "pre-pregs", I tried it and was able to stack the layers and wet them out perfectly in one shot for the center and two sides.

John Salak
RV-12 #116 (95% done, 90% to go)

Mine had sags in those obvious spots, I just finished them out and they appear as decoration now. Only a 12 skirt maker will know why they are there.

Thanks for all the info, all of you! Think I'll do the lay-up. Going to Spruce to get the fiberglass cloth, resin...and??? today. Where do I find the TIPS to prevent sags, John....not familiar?! Thx again!

By the way...How much cloth, resin, etc do I need to get?

Buzz,

Will you please give us some updates on how this goes?

I am not crazy about doing fiberglass lay up myself and particularly interested in this part of the build.

Thanks in advance.

Driftdown :)

I built my first home built with fiber glass and epoxy. I hate working with the stuff, but it is forgiving in shaping and fixing mistakes. One error I made was making the fairing larger than the template at the sides. I think it looks great, but now I have to remove my canopy to get he avionics bay cover off because the fairing covers some screws.

It is one of those things everybody hates to think about, then in a short time it is finished and was not so bad after all! I kinda of like working fiberglass.

Just went to Spruce to get a medium weight cloth, resin, hardener, squeegee, brushes, etc. then I re-watched the Help video, produced by Viking, I believe. They show the layup done as one piece, using cardboard templates taped down with clear packaging tape, providing for saging relief via the cardboard and tape and making the canopy removable for trimming and for future removal, if needed. That method, of course, does not permit permanent bonding of the fairing via the epoxy lay-up process. The bonding agent is the silicone I mentioned above, The Right Stuff. Oh me or my....hard to decide the road to take. I like the single layup idea, the removability potential, and the easy to trim and finish the edges capability (when the canopy is detached before gluing, but I'm torn between. I, definitely want to do the lay-up for the sturdiness factor alone (more plies in the center section), but I haven't decided to do the single lay-up version or the Manual's three section method, and I haven't decided whether or not to name it detachable....with all the before, during and after construction benefits. If we go the detachabl route, I don't think the black silicone stuff will be an issue...just paint the inside of the canopy in those overlap areas wit interior colors...never see the black stuff. Ideas, thoughts??? Thanks!

I built my first home built with fiber glass and epoxy. I hate working with the stuff, but it is forgiving in shaping and fixing mistakes. One error I made was making the fairing larger than the template at the sides. I think it looks great, but now I have to remove my canopy to get he avionics bay cover off because the fairing covers some screws.

I used the same one, but ended up laying up some fiberglass on the back and sides to stiff it up. By adding to the back of the pre-made fairing I ended up with a nice solution. My fairing is also a little larger and I also have to remove the canopy to access the avionics bay.

The first 4 pictures were during the installing

Canopy fairing 1.jpg

These photos installing and also at paint.

Canopy fairing 2.jpg

Good luck ? the Permitex (the Right Stuff) sets up quick

Governor Valcik, now this is dedication! Here you are at 2300 hrs., offering help on the forum immediately after hosting a gala event at the governor's mansion. I think you could still trim the fairing enough to access those hidden screws. I have removed that upper fuse skin many times and would not want to have to remove the canopy for access. I can have that panel off in 5 minutes. Seriously though, good party. You just need to find a lamp shade that fits better and a little longer Toga sheet (little too much leg showing).

Are these still being produced/sold? Does this put you into the experimental category? :(

Would that we had the construction methods of an RV-14 canopy! :D

Bob

I did the plans layup and dyed the resin black. It was still blotchy. Now, if you have seen my panel, you know it is covered in carbon-fiber look silver vinyl. I used that to cover the inside of the canopy forward <<<CORRECTION: AFT>>> of the bow. It shows when you open the canopy and looks GREAT! Easy to do, too, made paper templates.

CORRECTION: Forward of the bow I painted the back side black. AFT of the bow I used the carbon-fiber vinyl - with a thin line of pin-stripe tape around the edge.

Last edited:
Back