What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help 21-02 Step 7

spriteah

Hiya fellow builders. I have hit a point building and I don't know what vans are saying. In the fuse build 21-02 step 7 "File the curved recess of both F-1206C rear spa receptacles to closely fit the rounded mating ends of the rear spar assemblies of both wings".

I have no idea what it is asking. Can someone please advice. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Hiya fellow builders. I have hit a point building and I don't know what vans are saying. In the fuse build 21-02 step 7 "File the curved recess of both F-1206C rear spa receptacles to closely fit the rounded mating ends of the rear spar assemblies of both wings".

I have no idea what it is asking. Can someone please advice. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Find both of the F-1206C parts.
Take them to your completed wings and attempt to fit them over the stubs of the rear spars that will later insert into your fuselage.
Carefully file just enough on the inside edge of the "C" shape to allow the F-1206C fit all the way onto the spar stub but have no slop (a net fit).
Mark it as to which wing it is for, and then do the same for the other

Mr. Sprite, Sir,
I would like to underline what Scott said about, "...carefully file just enough..."

There are a number of 12s out there with a bit of unwanted movement at the wingtips, which has been attributed to too much filing of the spar stubs. This is one of the critical portions of the build process where time spent fitting and filing over and over really pays off. Kind of like getting a good fit on a Van's cowl but not near as frustrating as trouble-shooting the electrics on British cars.

Jim in South Texas
RV12 #264 flying 153 hours
'75 MG Midget

Ahhh yes, the prince of darkness . . .

Off topic, sorry, but many people wonder, just why do all the MGB's have a small hammer next to the drivers seat??

Well - - to tap the fuel pump, of course . . .open the door, lean out, tap, and listen for the buzzzzzz. Following comes the sweet sound of that exhaust note.

British cars, the training ground of many a mechanic and engineer.

Happy New Year, Again apologies for the thread drift.

But, IF YOU DO FILE TOO MUCH, Van's has oversize replacement parts at around $12/ea.

Aah, British cars!! I had a love/hate relationship with my '66 MGB. Loved it when it decided to run right, hated "Lucas, the Prince of Darkness."

Walt in NE Tennessee

Mr. Sprite, Sir,
I would like to underline what Scott said about, "...carefully file just enough..."

There are a number of 12s out there with a bit of unwanted movement at the wingtips, which has been attributed to too much filing of the spar stubs. This is one of the critical portions of the build process where time spent fitting and filing over and over really pays off. Kind of like getting a good fit on a Van's cowl but not near as frustrating as trouble-shooting the electrics on British cars.

Jim in South Texas
RV12 #264 flying 153 hours
'75 MG Midget

Drift

A British sports car is like a wayward daughter,
You know it will break your heart,
But you love it too much to give up hope.

British cars, the training ground of many a mechanic and engineer.

Must be a disease, RVs and British Cars. If you can balance these carburetors, you can build an airplane :)

jag.jpg

IMGP9891.JPG

Well, you are fer-sure qualified to balance the Rotax carbs. At least they aren't leaned by *clockwise* turns on the mixture screw like the Strombergs. No "positive earth" or Whitworth tools required on RV-12.

Nice Series I E-Type.

Jim

<snip>

Aah, British cars!! I had a love/hate relationship with my '66 MGB. Loved it when it decided to run right, hated "Lucas, the Prince of Darkness."

Walt in NE Tennessee

Having owned a 66 MGB and a 66 Triumph Bonneville I remember well the three positions of a Lucus headlight switch: off, dim and flicker.

Back on topic: It seems I remember filing the recepticle rather than the stub spar, and feeling a bit unsure about the fit. Good to know about the oversize part availability.

Jerre

I understand that Lucas just introduced a new line of vacuum cleaners.
Only product they have that doesn't "suck".

Back