What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual Lightspeed indicator lights

dougweil

Well Known Member
Hi all:

Has anyone installed the two small EI indicator lights that Lightspeed supplies with their dual ignition systems? If so, is there any way to functionally test these lights during installation without actually running the engine? I am wiring up my panel on my RV-7 and would feel better if I knew they actually did what they are supposed to do.

They just show you if the ignition is on (leds are normally off) and power is being supplied to the boxes, no power to the box the led will come on.

Thanks Walt... I have been looking more in depth on the LED wiring diagram and I think I understand how the circuit works. I think I can wire things up for the time being to test the lights.

Dual Plasma LEDs

Doug,

I just finished wiring those lights for my RV8. They are low voltage (5V) polarity sensitive and under normal conditions you will not see lights. Both systems on; no lights, both systems off; no lights. When one system is on and the other is off you would want the led illuminated next to the off system indicating a fault. You should see these lights come one when you are running up and checking each system by disabling one with your switch, its light should come on indicating a fault. The red led wire is positive and the yellow is negative. You can actually verify the light functions with 2 D cell batteries. Connect the red lead to the positive and yellow to negative, light on. Reverse the leads and no light. I have labeled my #1 system as left and my #2 system as right. The connector pin 14 from Unit 1 (left) goes to the red lead of the right light AND the yellow lead for the Left light. Connector pin 14 from unit 2 goes to the red lead of the left light And the yellow lead of the right light. I mounted the lights next to the respective ignition toggle switch held the leads (Red from one, yellow from the other) and alternated the polarity on two D cell batteries to confirm the lights came on as indicated. I do not have power on my aircraft electrical system yet so I can not verify with aircraft power but looks like it will work as indicated.

Long explanation, hope it did not confuse you. I studied the wiring for a while to get it right in my head.

Dual Plasma LEDs Voltage correction

Doug,

Correction on my previous post, the value of the LED lights are 1.8v, not 5v.

Back