What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Is Best Source For "Lycoming" Engine Oil

Vans101

Well Known Member
Greetings,

Shopping for engine oil is almost as painful as going to the gas station so I wanted to ask the collective where they get their oil and what brand based on economics.

I have a Lycoming angle valve engine that is not affected by the Lycoming AD however I still want to run the Lycoming oil additive so the options are buy pre-blended oil or buy oil and add the Lycoming additive.

I see Phillips has "XC" oil that has an "anti-rust" additive and they also have the "Victory" oil that has the Lycoming additive pre-blended.

Since the Victory oil is way more expensive per quart I am wondering if buying the normal oil and then buying the Lycoming additive would be cheaper.

Of course since my engine does not require the additive then there are thoughts of using two quarts with the additive to every one quart of regular (or a 1 to 1 ratio).

Then there are options like 12 single quart cases and four one gallon cases...

Then there are shipping options where above a certain amount (I believe based on weight and not packaging size) the shipping option only allows for "freight forwarded" and below that limit allows for shipping with "Fed-Ups".

So for those who are smart enough to have cracked the code on what is the best and most economical option for this kind of purchase can you please give some advice?

THANKS!!!

THANKS!!!

Greetings,

Shopping for engine oil is almost as painful as going to the gas station so I wanted to ask the collective where they get their oil and what brand based on economics.

I have a Lycoming angle valve engine that is not affected by the Lycoming AD however I still want to run the Lycoming oil additive so the options are buy pre-blended oil or buy oil and add the Lycoming additive.

I see Phillips has "XC" oil that has an "anti-rust" additive and they also have the "Victory" oil that has the Lycoming additive pre-blended.

Since the Victory oil is way more expensive per quart I am wondering if buying the normal oil and then buying the Lycoming additive would be cheaper.

Of course since my engine does not require the additive then there are thoughts of using two quarts with the additive to every one quart of regular (or a 1 to 1 ratio).

Then there are options like 12 single quart cases and four one gallon cases...

Then there are shipping options where above a certain amount (I believe based on weight and not packaging size) the shipping option only allows for "freight forwarded" and below that limit allows for shipping with "Fed-Ups".

So for those who are smart enough to have cracked the code on what is the best and most economical option for this kind of purchase can you please give some advice?

THANKS!!!

THANKS!!!

Take drive to the SCL warehouse...

https://www.sclubricants.com/company/contact-us/

2075 Alum Rock Ave, San Jose, CA 95116, USA

They carry Aeroshell Oil W100Plus, 15W-50
Phillips XC, and so forth.

OK So my advise is just fly the engine and forget the additives.
I know that oil that's changed often enough and flown needs no additives.
Read the Savvy Aviation's article on the 5,000 hour TBO engine. Fly!
Oh ya put in airplane oil also. Some people use diesel oil, car oil on and on.
I change my IO-360 every 25-30 hours, filter every other. AND FLY it like I stole it. Upside down and all around.
Air cooled airplane engines have tons of clearance on the pistons so need fresher oil than my 2019 Honda Accord. That gets it's oil changed every 10,000 miles.
And these thoughts are coming from a guy that's been a mechanic for at least 56 years in many venues.
Your mileage may vary, and it's only my opinion that's worth just about as much. Art

THANKS!!!

THANKS!!!

Awful lot of thinkin' going on here........ ;)

You asked for a source for aviation oil. I use this vendor and have had excellent service at a price considerably lower than that big aviation supply vendor:

https://petroleumservicecompany.com/piston-engine-oils/

I use Phillips XC 20W-50 due to reasonable cost and wide field experience, but any of the AVIATION oils should be fine. When you decide to sell your plane and the logs show diesel oil you may find interest severely affected.

Another positive for diesel oils is the modern stuff is "low ash" formulation to keep from clogging diesel particulate filters (DPF). The alleged need for "ashless dispersant" oils in aircraft engines is to keep combustion chamber deposits to a minimum to prevent preignition, but the newer diesel oils should take care of that requirement. That said, I haven't tried it yet as I'm concerned that the detergents in the diesel oil will loosen up crud that's built up in my 900-hour engine.

Awful lot of thinkin' going on here........ ;)

You asked for a source for aviation oil. I use this vendor and have had excellent service at a price considerably lower than that big aviation supply vendor:

https://petroleumservicecompany.com/piston-engine-oils/

I use Phillips XC 20W-50 due to reasonable cost and wide field experience, but any of the AVIATION oils should be fine. When you decide to sell your plane and the logs show diesel oil you may find interest severely affected.

PSC has reasonable price but their shipping cost will put them beyond reasonable. I usually order from Spruce and try to make it such that the shipping becomes free.

PSC has reasonable price but their shipping cost will put them beyond reasonable. I usually order from Spruce and try to make it such that the shipping becomes free.

Yes, shop around but get the total (oil plus shipping) cost. I recently found a bundled okay price (oil plus shipping) from one of the discount places, but when I added a single $0.72 crush washer, the shipping cost jumped up $10! It’s a crazy world out there.

My last case of Phillips from PSC was $20 less than Spruce even after shipping. Final cost may depend on how close the customer is to PSC or a Spruce warehouse.

I am very aware of considering shipping cost in the final number. ;)

Last edited:
My last case of Phillips from PSC was $20 less than Spruce even after shipping. Final cost may depend on how close the customer is to PSC or a Spruce warehouse.

I am very aware of considering shipping cost in the final number. ;)

I am probably getting off the topic but the shipping charges has been going up like crazy while their service has been declining in the same rate. For me, USPS has been the most reliable and often much cheaper than the private enterprises (UPS, FedEx).

Call the local oil suppliers/distributors. Think truck fleet maintenance. While they are happy to sell you a 55 gallon drum of Rotella diesel truck oil, they can also provide 12 qt cases of aviation oil. I have found if you buy a few cases the cost will be $7-$10 a case cheaper than the best Oshkosh or Sun N Fun show deals. Last I paid a few months back was $63 a case delivered on their truck to my house for Phillips 100ad or 20w50 XC. I ask around the airport to see who wants in on the deal and add to the purchasing power. Generally they want to sell at least 6 cases to deliver it, otherwise you have to drive to their warehouse for pickup.

I was a diehard Aeroshell user until they significantly increased their prices a few years back so I switched to Phillips. I use straight weight 100ad with a pint of camguard so it sticks to the cylinders in the Florida heat. I use multi weight 20w50 XC with a pint of cam guard if we plan to fly outside Florida where it can get cold overnight in the winter. Good aviation oil that is changed often is a lot cheaper than that expensive engine that uses it.

At Oshkosh I was talking to an ex Shell Exec and asked what oil he used in his Cirrus. He told me he used oil without additives and added camguard himself.

Also do not get the oil with additives from the manufacturer and add camguard. Just get a straight oil and add to it.

https://aviationoiloutlet.com has free shipping over $75, which is essentially a case. I believe they're actually owned by PSC, but either way, they ship quickly to me and I've had great service over the years.

I don't think you'll find a lower overall cost for aviation oil.

P.S. Why use the X/C line when the Victory line is an improved version of it with the Lycoming additive package?

https://aviationoiloutlet.com has free shipping over $75, which is essentially a case. I believe they're actually owned by PSC, but either way, they ship quickly to me and I've had great service over the years.

P.S. Why use the X/C line when the Victory line is an improved version of it with the Lycoming additive package?

Thanks for recommending, this was the best price I have seen.

Always deals at SNF and Osh.

Many of these companies were offering on line deals at SNF so I would bet you will see them at OSH. They reported it was easier to provide free shipping and not have to lug so much product to the show. I order a few cases at SNF that carry me through the year.

THANKS Ron. That is the best price and with one case they offer free shipping!!!

I relocated to rural Arizona so we rely on the "Fed-UPS" to deliver.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Yes, PCS and aviationoiloutlet.com are one and the same but shipping offers may be different on each site. The PCS site is geared toward servicing several industries in addition to aviation.

Last edited:
For most of the past 25-years of flying my RV, I typically would get my aviation oil from one of the local oil distributors. I also used the online guys to compare delivered price and the local guys typically would beat the online once shipping was factored in.

When I was in SoCAL, A P Fisher typically had the best price on aviation oil.

In Pennsylvania, Purvis Brothers was my local go to outfit.

Here in NC, I used the Phillips 66 find a local distributor to find my supplier. An email / phone call to ISGETT DISTRIBUTORS INC found the best price. I started looking a month before I needed the oil. They did not have Victory oil in stock but said they could get it. A month later, I picked up the oil and save tens of dollars per case. I typically get 4 cases of oil at one time.

Prices have changed a lot over the years but the distributors typically had the best price when buying a case or cases.

Aeroshell also has a distributor locator.

Last edited:
Back