What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 settings to communicate with Trutrak autopilot?

I just installed the Trutrak AP in my -6A, which already has dual G5's, GMU 11 magnetometer, GAD 29 ARINC interface, and GPS 175.

The Trutrak talks to the GPS 175 just fine (recognizes GPSS mode) and I get the flashing "+" to indicate life is good.

However, after switching my DPDT switch from the GPS 175 to the G5/GAD29, I can not get the elusive "E" to come up, which confirms that the TruTrak is talking to the GAD29/G5.

I triple checked my wiring from the GAD29 connector (pins 18 & 6) thru the DPDT switch to the TruTrak connector (pins 14 & 15) and all looks good. I'm thinking there is probably some setting on the G5 that needs to be adjusted, but after spending a good part of my day trying various settings, I just can not get it to work.

I don't have a G3X installed.

I suspect there are some folks out there who have a similar installation, at least in terms of having their G5/GAD talk to their TruTrak? Could anyone offer any advice?

Thanks so much in advance!

Steve

Think you have to connect via one of the serial ports on the G5's rather than thru the GAD29.

Check your config. I think the G3x uses a unique setting for talking to an external AP via ARINC. I don't think it is EFIS / AIR DATA. Suspect the G5 is the same.

Larry

I’m not an expert but I just installed a Trutrak xCruze (now Bendix King) and learned a few things during the process.

Which autopilot? The Vision and xCruze models have a special setting for integration with Aspen and G5 systems. So these APs have three choices 1. Aspen 2. G5 3. other.

I would verify that G5 is selected for that setting. Also 9600 baud rate seems to be the correct setting for most trutrak integration.

Last edited:
Another piece of the puzzle is that the G5 sends its heading and altitude commands via ARINC429. Likewise, the GPS175 sends altitude and heading commands via ARINC429. The GPS175 (or another GPS source) sends raw GPS data to the AP via RS232. So if the autopilot is using the raw GPS data to fly a TRK then it may work fine (altitude would be controlled by the AP in this scenario), but if you try to drive the AP with the G5 it requires appropriate ARINC settings. So I would check your ARINC settings on the G5 and your AP based your AP’s install and setup manual.

I hope this helps with the trouble shooting.

Keith

Thanks Guys,

Yeah, I think it is some setting that is off. But I'm not sure which one or where to change it.

The AP I have is the (BendixKing) TruTrak xCruze 100 (the install manual I got with it is for the Vizion, so I guess they are basically the same unit). And unfortunately, the AP install manual does not specify what settings to use for a G5 & GAD29 (they only talk about a setup that uses a G3X). So I'm at a loss as to what the right setting should be. I also don't see any place to specify a G5 vs Aspen vs Other.

I also don't see any config interface on the AP (other than for backlighting and contract), so I don't see anywhere to configure settings on the AP side.

The G5 has a config page, but I don't see any place to specify a baud rate. There's a flight controls page (which gives a choice of a Garmin AP or an analog AP). And there's an ARINC output page which has the ability to select from about 20 options for each of the 2 outputs. Heck, I'm not even sure which output to specify, but I'm guessing I probably can't change output 1 or I'll introduce other troubles into my existing system.

If anyone has a similar setup (KiloWhiskey?) it would be great to know what settings you're using on the G5 and/or AP side.

ps: The GPS 175 feed (both RS-232 and ARINC) works great. The AP receives the RS-232 feed OK (displays NAV on the AP) and also the ARINC feed OK (displays GPSS on the AP). So the ARINC feed to the AP from the GPS 175 works OK. But I'm unable to get the AP to recognize the ARINC feed from the G5/GAD29.

Thanks again all!

Steve

These settings are from TruTrak’s “Approved GPS and Software List”. This is for their Vision series. Not sure if they’d be different for other units (xCruze, Digiflight, etc.), but worth a try.

Garmin GPS 175/375 settings:
1. Push and hold the inner knob.
2. Push the power key.
3. When the configuration mode home page displays, release the knob.
4. Tap Setup.
5. Tap Interfaces.
6. Tap ARINC 429.
7. Set the ARINC TX Port 1 Format to “GAMA Format 1” and Speed to
“Low”.
8. Tap Back.
9. Tap RS 232.
10. Set the appropriate RS 232 channel to “Aviation Output 1”.
11. Autopilot baud rate must be 9600, refer to Vizion PMA Installation Guide (166) appendix corresponding to aircraft type

Garmin G5 settings
Set Vizion PMA EFIS TYPE to 2. Refer to aircraft specific installation appendix lateral autopilot settings.
1. Hold down the knob on the G5 while powering on the G5.
2. Rotate the knob to highlight ARINC 429 then press the knob to enter the
ARINC 429 configuration.
3. Rotate the knob to select the output connected to the autopilot ARINC
source select switch then press the knob.
4. Rotate the knob to select one of the EFIS/AIRDATA formats then press
the knob.
5. Rotate the knob to select BACK then press the knob.
6. Rotate the knob to select Exit Configuration Mode then press the knob.
7. When prompted to reboot unit and return to normal operation rotate the knob to select yes then press the knob.

Doing this should get all the units talking correctly.

Last edited:
These are the setup instructions for a Cessna 182 that the BK help desk sent me after they realized they didn’t have complete instructions for experimentals. This is a good start to help you access the configuration screens on the xCruze. The setting values (ie. lat. activity, micro activity, etc.) are for a 182 and probably won’t be good for RVs, but this will get you started.

All the info below is copied “as is” from their instructions:

THIS STEP MUST BE COMPLETED PRIOR TO GROUND CHECK AND FLIGHT CHECK!!!

4.1. Lateral Autopilot settings
For Vizion software version PV.40 follow the steps below:

1) PRESS and HOLD KNOB
2) Apply power to autopilot and GPS
3) RELEASE KNOB.
4) PRESS ALT button to advance to MIN BACKLIGHT
5) PRESS ALT button to advance to SETUP ENABLE.
6) ROTATE ALT button to select a value of 10.
7) PRESS KNOB to exit.
8) PRESS and HOLD MODE button until LAT ACTIVITY is shown.
9) ROTATE KNOB to select a LAT ACTIVITY of 17
10)PRESS ALT button to advance to next setup screen.
11)ROTATE KNOB to select a BAUD that matches the baud rate of the GPS (this will
be either 4800 or 9600, refer to Approved GPS List (Doc 186) for information
about approved GPS units).
12)PRESS ALT button to advance to next setup screen.
13)ROTATE KNOB to select a BANK ANGLE of MED.
14)PRESS ALT button to advance to next setup screen.
15)ROTATE KNOB to select a MICROACTIVITY of 10.
16)PRESS ALT button to advance to next setup screen.
17)ROTATE KNOB to select a GPSS GAIN of 16.
18)PRESS ALT button to advance to next setup screen.
19)ROTATE KNOB to set ROLL REV to Y.
20)PRESS KNOB to exit lateral setup and return to the home screen.
21)PRESS and HOLD ALT button until VRT ACTIVITY is shown.
22)WHILE CONTINUING TO HOLD ALT, PRESS MODE.
23)RELEASE MODE and ALT.
24)PRESS MODE until MAC is displayed.
25)ROTATE KNOB to set MAC to 2.
26)Repeatedly PRESS ALT button until EFIS TYPE is displayed
27)ROTATE KNOB to set EFIS TYPE to:
1 – if the autopilot is connected to an ASPEN,
2 – if the autopilot is connected to a G5,
0 – if the autopilot is connected to any other GPS
28)PRESS KNOB to exit menu and return to home screen.
29)Do not remove power from autopilot.

4.2. Vertical Autopilot Settings
1) PRESS and HOLD ALT button until VRT ACTIVITY is shown.
2) ROTATE KNOB to select a VRT ACTIVITY of 16.
3) PRESS ALT button to advance to next setup screen.
4) ROTATE KNOB to select a MIN AIRSPD of (Refer to aircraft POH and set a value
equal to 1.3 VS in knots).
5) PRESS ALT button to advance to next setup screen.
6) ROTATE KNOB to select a MAX AIRSPD of (Refer to aircraft POH and set a value
equal to 0.9 VNE in knots).
7) PRESS ALT button to advance to next setup screen.
8) ROTATE KNOB to select a PITCH REV of N.
9) PRESS ALT button to advance to next setup screen.
10)ROTATE KNOB to select a STATIC LAG of 1.
11)PRESS ALT button to advance to next setup screen.
12)ROTATE KNOB to select a MICROACTIVITY of 5.
13)PRESS ALT button to advance to next setup screen.
14)ROTATE KNOB to select desired DEFAULT VS (this is the vertical speed setting
that the autopilot will use as the value to determine whether or not to synchronize to current vertical speed or synchronize to zero vertical speed, as well as the default vertical speed for altitude pre-select). For example, if the DEFAULT VS is set to 300 fpm, if the aircraft is climbing at 200 fpm, the autopilot select zero VS upon engagement. If the aircraft is climbing at 400 fpm, the autopilot will select 400 fpm upon engagement.
We suggest using 300-500 feet per minute.
CAUTION! Do not select a DEFAULT VS that is too high, or autopilot performance may be adversely affected.
15)PRESS KNOB to exit vertical setup and return to the home screen.
16)Cycle power on the autopilot.

Last edited:
Thanks Keith!

You got to it before I could reply. Exactly 100% correct!

Steve, If you have any other questions, give me a shout. Andrew.barker(at)honeywell.com.

Will try tonight!

OMG, thanks so much guys! I am really excited to try this tonight and see if it solves my problem!
And glad I gave up trying to guess at the settings, because it's obvious I would never have had a chance! ha. :)
Yes, it would be good to have this info included in the install manual... I would not have thought to look in the C182 manual for it. :) LOL!
Will let you know the outcome. And thanks again!
Steve

IT WORKED! **THANK YOU** so much!!!!

I was going to give this a try tonight, but I couldn't stand the suspense any longer and went out into the garage during my lunch break.

***** AND IT WORKED!!!! *****

I am so thrilled I can't stand it! I am getting the "+E" now on the TruTrak and when I change the heading bug on my G5 the autopilot banks in the required direction.

I'm so excited to give it a try this weekend!

ps: I sent a msg to BK to recommend that they add these instructions to the installation manual. Obviously, it should be included... and anyone installing the system will have no clue how to do this and what settings to choose without this info.

Keith, I see you're down in GA... but if you are ever up in the NY area and in the market for a free breakfast or lunch at my local airport (44N)... PLEASE don't hesitate to let me know so I can treat you and anyone else you can fit into your RV-10 to a free meal! The info you gave me... was... PRICELESS!!!

(I should have reached out to vansairforce sooner with my question... as it would have saved me a whole lot of pain and aggravation this past weekend triple-checking all my wiring to try and debug my problem.) :)

Glad to hear it worked! Thanks for the breakfast offer, I may take you up on it some day.

I’m a big fan of the Trutrak products and the G5 integration sounds like an awesome thing.

Keith

Back