What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AW inspection procedures

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Some controversy exists over wings being on or off during the AW inspection. Obviously they are required to be off for a condition inspection, but has anyone had their AW inspection with the wings off or have had to remove them during the AW inspection?

Some state and a AC says that all covers and inspection plates should be removed as ready for a condition inspection. Others go so far as to say they want it ready to show them it will taxi.
QUOTE=tomkk;1075176]Mine neither. As a matter of fact, I seem to recall him saying in conversations prior to the inspection that it should be ready to fly - nothing disassembled.[/QUOTE]

This is one of those places where FAR's, AC's, and the like don't make any difference - just do what YOUR inspector wants in order to get your pink slip.....

Of course that is quite correct Paul, that was not the intent of the discussion. I was more trying to get a feel for what is actually happening out there since there is a lot of conflict and confusion.

QUOTE=Ironflight;1075182]This is one of those places where FAR's, AC's, and the like don't make any difference - just do what YOUR inspector wants in order to get your pink slip.....[/QUOTE]

Most DARs are accustomed to inspecting aircraft with non-removable wings and do not even think about removing wings from an RV-12.
Every DAR is different. Some are very conscientious and concerned about your safety and will go over your aircraft with a fine tooth comb. Others only want their money and want to make sure the rules are followed and paperwork filled out correctly to keep the FAA off their backs.
You need to talk with builders who have hired your intended DAR.

I have built two, one inspected by a DAR and the other by a FED and neither wanted the wings off. Both inspectors did require that I start it and taxi it around my pasture. I will beat ya'll to it, they wanted to see the shirt hit the fan.

Last edited:
Fuel Tank is another issue

Don, You won't have this with your wing tanks but those building conventionally will want to query their inspector beforehand regarding whether the fuselage fuel tank should be in place or not.

Because it covers a key area of the flapperon interconnect, I asked FSDO about this and they were quite clear that they wanted to be able to easily inspect the controls. My inspection was done with the tank on the work bench. I didn't offer to re-install it and they didn't ask me to.

YMMV

Jim
#264 five years and 300+ hours

Our inspection the wings and tank were in place. The floor cover was removed for access. They wanted to see all control movement and fuel connections. They wanted proof of engine run and taxi test which the PAP provided. All cowlings and access panels were removed. Cincy FSDO did the inspection. No complaints at all.

Don, You won't have this with your wing tanks but those building conventionally will want to query their inspector beforehand regarding whether the fuselage fuel tank should be in place or not.

Because it covers a key area of the flapperon interconnect, I asked FSDO about this and they were quite clear that they wanted to be able to easily inspect the controls. My inspection was done with the tank on the work bench. I didn't offer to re-install it and they didn't ask me to.

Similar here. DAR wanted to look into the tail cone too so I gave him the choice to run engine (no access to tail) or remove the tank and no engine startup. He chose the latter. (I also think he didn't want to make two trips)

Its definitely something to negotiate with the DAR about in advance. I had video of the engine running but in the end, I think it was better than he crawled around the entire aircraft and checked every bolt, rivet, washer and nut. While I had several other builders do the same, my DAR still found several places where washers were missing / or another was needed so I was pleased he was so thorough.

My DAR wanted to see a taxi test and also inspection panels initially off, so - fuel tank in. I had already split the rear bulkhead so that was no problem. I had taken pictures of the linkage below the tank. Wings stayed on. Upper cowl off, lower cowl on. Wheel pants off to see brakes. I had a pretty complete Facebook album showing details of the build, which he had gone through. My build log was that every step on every page was initialed, and every totally complete page was signed and dated. He liked that method. It was all very straightforward.

Back