What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for local RV8 owners - TN/KY

rdcusmc

I live in Middle TN and would like to connect with RV8 drivers locally as I’m very close to beginning a personal RV8 project. If anyone is interested or available, would be great to connect.

Best,
Ron

I live in Atlanta. Tennessee is not that far away. BUT, I can only fly you, wasn't a builder. I'm guessing you're looking for a builder??:D:D

HA!! I'm an old crusty marine too. Choppers---Vietnam.

Semper!! Super appreciate you reaching out. No - Atlanta is not far. I’m looking for both - not just builders. I’ve never been able to see an 8 up close which is first priority to make sure this is the project I want. I’d love to work out a time and place to meet.

SF
Ron

What airport works best for you? (And then of course, it never stops raining here in ATL.---so that might screw things up a bit.)

An RV 8 is a bit of a baby P-51. If your honey doesn't like airplanes, RV 8's are good. If she wants to fly with you, get a side by side.

Last edited:
Ron,
I keep my 8a at Copperhill, TN. (1A3)
Built it and an Rv10.

Glad to show it to you and discuss building.
Tom H

What airport works best for you? (And then of course, it never stops raining here in ATL.---so that might screw things up a bit.)

An RV 8 is a bit of a baby P-51. If your honey doesn't like airplanes, RV 8's are good. If she wants to fly with you, get a side by side.

Ron,
I keep my 8a at Copperhill, TN. (1A3)
Built it and an Rv10.

Glad to show it to you and discuss building.
Tom H

Tom,
Very generous - thank you! I’d be happy to find a time that works for both of us and head your way.

Ron

I live in Middle TN and would like to connect with RV8 drivers locally as I’m very close to beginning a personal RV8 project. If anyone is interested or available, would be great to connect.

Best,
Ron

Ron I’m in Nashville. You’re welcome to come to BNA, see my plane and talk.

What works for you?? I just assumed you were retired, but it says you're a Mil/Gov? You're a General commanding a Marine base?? So maybe you gotta work??
Just looking at the Weather. Out of the next 3 days, tomorrow looks the best. Supposed to be beastly hot by you.

Ok Ron, While I was typing this, I see Randy Hooper jumped in. He's right there in BNA by you. Being so close, he'd be your best bet.

Semper Fi

Last edited:
Hey Ron,
I built and fly my RV8 from TN26, half way between Lebanon and Murfreesboro, probably an hour drive for you. Ex Navy, so I speak Marine :D Anytime you want to come bye, give me a shout.
Six 15 Five 8 Eight Eight 01 Two

Hey Ron,
I built and fly my RV8 from TN26, half way between Lebanon and Murfreesboro, probably an hour drive for you. Ex Navy, so I speak Marine :D Anytime you want to come bye, give me a shout.

Hey Karl, I know what a Hornet is, but what's a scooter??:cool::cool:

Oh, Ok, I just looked it up. Its an A-4, same thing John McCain flew. (They didn't call them scooters in my day, but then my day was a million years ago.)

Last edited:
A4’s are commonly called Scooters by those who flew them. Heinemann‘s rocket is also a common name after the designer Ed Heinemann. I think it was the last airplane designed for the Navy that came in lighter and faster than what the Navy asked for. Got my fair share of time in the two seat J model and also the single seat A4E. Blast to fly!!

Hey Ron,

Hi Navy! Nice to meet you Karl. I’d love to see your RV! I’ll give a shout tomorrow and see what we might work out.

Ron

Deep appreciation to Karl for inviting me to talk to him today and see his gorgeous RV8!

Look forward to meeting and speaking with other 8 drivers out there and seeing your gorgeous RV8’s as well:))

Ron

"Maybe" tomorrow--Saturday, July 31??

Hi Ron, I was surprised that you were still interested in seeing other 8's. Tomorrow is Saturday, July 31. Wx is supposed to be VFR. I can't promise yet (til tomorrow), but if you're interested, I'll fly up by you. Again, I wasn't a builder, just a buyer, so all I can promise you is a look/see and some flying.

If you're interested, shoot me your cell phone number to 404 550 2163. Probably be 3ish before I could get there---I'm not a morning person.

Ok, Ron, I see you're still not on line. I'm headed for the airport. And then to M91. (Its 11:35 right now,) You've got my phone number. If you're there, you're there. If not, then I'll just have a nice cross country. Only about an 1 + 20 flight. Wouldn't be able to talk to you in the air, but I think your phone number will text thru.. Probably about 3ish. (Are you central or Eastern time)--maybe 2 ish) Always stop for a Big Mac on the way to the airport. That holds me for the whole day.:D

Hey Ron, I see you never got my message. Just as well, about half way between Chatanooga and Nashville, it started to get awfully hazy. Not that I can't fly IFR, but the plane is not legal for it, ie, couldn't shoot an instrument approach. So I did a
U'ie and headed back home. Naturally, had to do a couple of rolls and loops first.:D

Is there a Fly-In in the middle Tn area that is frequented by RVs? Thanks

None that I know of in middle TN. Guys put on a really nice fly in at KFYE east of MEM earlier this year and there was a substantial RV turnout. 3M5 (Moontown) breakfast fly ins have a good RV turnout too.

James, replied to your PM a few days ago with contact info if you’re still interested.

I saw the Facebook invite (they want a photo ID because I've not used it in so long, not happening) other then that I'm sorry I must have missed it. Anyway if you guys are out tooling around let me know and I'll try to link up. I have a PA28 so it'll take me a lot longer to get there. :D

Thanks Mitch

I saw the Facebook invite (they want a photo ID because I've not used it in so long, not happening) other then that I'm sorry I must have missed it. Anyway if you guys are out tooling around let me know and I'll try to link up. I have a PA28 so it'll take me a lot longer to get there. :D

Thanks Mitch

You sent a PM and I replied. You should have gotten an email with a copy of the PM (check your spam folder). You physically have to go to "Private Messages" (top right of the VansAirforce page you're viewing) to either view the message and/or reply back. This is a simple way to keep private information private. I don't do Facebook either so that's a non starter for me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 7.14.58 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 7.14.58 AM.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 84
Back