Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2021, 07:54 PM

Thanks for all the great input. Definitely need to pay more attention to proper tire inflation, but such a PIA, with a straight valve stem that points directly inward to the axle. Haven’t come up with a way to inflate wo taking pants off, even with a removable insp cover.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse23 View Post
Thanks for all the great input. Definitely need to pay more attention to proper tire inflation, but such a PIA, with a straight valve stem that points directly inward to the axle. Haven’t come up with a way to inflate wo taking pants off, even with a removable insp cover.
The solution is easy. Replace your tubes with those that have a ninety degree valve stem. Drill a 3/4” hole in your wheel pant that aligns with your stem. You can find a cap for the hole at just about any hardware store.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
The solution is easy. Replace your tubes with those that have a ninety degree valve stem. Drill a 3/4” hole in your wheel pant that aligns with your stem. You can find a cap for the hole at just about any hardware store.
Thanks Bob -
Can you tell where I can find this gem 15x6.00x6 90 deg? I have not been able to procure anywhere. I have the cutout and plug in place.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse23 View Post
Thanks Bob -
Can you tell where I can find this gem 15x6.00x6 90 deg? I have not been able to procure anywhere. I have the cutout and plug in place.
Desser and Spruce have them in stock from multiple manufacturers. Desser has better pricing. I’m about to pull the trigger on three new tubes and a tire for the nose wheel. Desser was about $200 less expensive than Spruce. But Spruce does some price matching.

Michelin Airstop 15-6.00 x 6 tube w/ 90 stem. 092-501-0

https://shop.desser.com/15x6.00-6-mi...detail/323625/. This is a straight stem tube, not a 90. Dresser doesn’t have a 90 on their web page. Just discovered when talking to Spruce about price matching.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...chAviator2.php

Last edited by rleffler : 10-04-2021 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Correcting recommendation
Old 10-04-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
Desser and Spruce have them in stock from multiple manufacturers. Desser has better pricing. I’m about to pull the trigger on three new tubes and a tire for the nose wheel. Desser was about $200 less expensive than Spruce. But Spruce does some price matching.

Michelin Airstop 15-6.00 x 6 tube w/ 90 stem. 092-501-0

https://shop.desser.com/15x6.00-6-mi...detail/323625/. This is a straight stem tube, not a 90. Dresser doesn’t have a 90 on their web page. Just discovered when talking to Spruce about price matching.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...chAviator2.php
Thanks again Bob - $$$ Double the price of the straight valve - unbelievable, but is the way to go moving forward. Now, I can use the access hole as planned and checking pressure will be part of every pre-flight vs just looking at the tire under 1/2” of exposed tire under wheel pants.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:46 PM

Just bought a set of retread mains from Wilkerson. $80 each free shipping. Tubes were $60 but straight stem. Haven't installed them yet though.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:11 PM

I have Wilkerson tires as well… so far so good. I called them and talked to Bill himself. Unfortunately, their manufacturing facility caught fire a few months ago. Sounds like they’re back up and running again. I will buy from them again.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:42 PM

Default Tyre flipping

Please may I ask for some views on whether to flip tyres. Our aeroplane is up on the saw horse at the moment as we are doing the SB for the cracked landing gear mounts.

The wheels are both off so now would be an opportunity for us to flip, however I have some concerns. Firstly, as here in the UK we operate mainly from grass the outside tyre wear does not seem as marked as on the photos shown here, the wear seems more even.

I have read somewhere that the tube grows with the tyre so I am presuming we need to split the wheels, then move both tubes and tyres onto the opposite wheels? Does that not have a certain amount of risk of damaging the tube during removal and refitting?

I am just trying to do a risk analysis, as we have only slightly uneven wear, is it safer just to leave the wheels as they are and refit rather than risk secondary problems?
Old 10-27-2021, 10:05 PM

Default Flip not rotate tires

Yes tubes form to the tires. The tires are flip (inside now outside) not move to the other wheel. So you split rim; pull out tube put back in after flipping so it remains on outside of rim and flip tire. What happens is the way the -10 is has a slight camber that wears the outside half of tire so by taking the tire and flipping it you now have the other less worn side to continue using. If your tires look fine in grass, leave them until the wear shows.
As for moving , removing ,replacing tube.. use talc (baby powder) on tyre before reinstalling. Many replace the tubes, I’ve gone 1k hours with same desser 90 degree tubes never been a problem with the above.
On different note
Wilkerson retreads are the real deal, my monsters where always out of balance, the Wilkerson arrived balanced and I’ve yet to feel any shimmy on the tires when landing.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:35 PM

I had similar wear at low time on the stock tires. When I changed to Desser retreads the wear has been perfectly even and very minimal compared to the rate on stock tires. I conclude the problem was tires and not camber or alignment.