What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Fuselage length

husabeast

Patron
Does anyone have the length measurement of the RV-8 fuselage minus empennage and firewall forward? Kit getting ready to ship and I would like to get a jump on building a rotisserie for it.

Where in NC?

There are a bunch of RV's in NC, and several builders I know that built -8's. I built a -4, and can honestly say, I don't think a rotisserie would have been all that helpful in my experience. Are you getting a quick build or slow build? Either way, the empennage and is typically built first, and if your kit is getting ready to ship, you should or will have the plans in hand with exact measurements. In the event you want to do a rotisserie, some of the most practical examples I have seen are made from 2 car engine stands with an adaptor plate (plywood) that fits the firewall and another that fits the rear bulkhead. No real structure in between. They can be rotated and locked in desired position. I'm sure someone on here will answer your direct question ,but there are many variables, and most of the time a fuselage is being built it must be somewhat "jigged" in a relatively solid position. Feel free to PM me and if your in central NC, I am based at 8A7, Twin Lakes Airport. Come visit and get experienced suggestion from some of us who have been there done that. Either way, you will love the RV-8..there are 3 based at 8A7.

I measured mine at 182 inches, firewall to aft bulkhead (allow an extra 3 inches for the forward bend at the top of the firewall). I too used an auto engine mount from HF for a rotisserie. It comes in handy before mounting the main landing gear for good. I only used one engine mount attached at the aircraft engine mount holes. I decided to install the tail stinger and rested it on a sawhorse in lieu of a second engine mount for the aft end.

Last edited:
Back