What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Critique my panel

skyking902001

Well Known Member
Before I order avionics, wanted to get some opinions from the group. Below is my proposed panel. My mission is day/night VFR with IFR capability. Here is my current list:
10" Dynon Skyview
GTN650 gps/nav/com (pic is 430w)
ICOM-A210 (already purchased)
GMA240 audio panel
2 1/4" a/s, alt, compass
TT Gemini PFD for backup

7586a59c-0c8d-455e-83c3-e532378cdf30_zps767ae349.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I would appreciate comments, suggestions etc, before I uproot whats left of the money tree in the back yard. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Spending your money

Steve,

Since I am spending your money I would suggest the new Dynon Auto-Pilot control heads and a Dynon radio in place of the second radio you have below the 430. Also the Dynon intercom. If the small standby gyro on the right side of the panel has airspeed and altitude I would delete the steam gauges and leave this area open for a vent or future items that will be introduced before Sun and Fun or Oshkosh in the coming years. Best of luck and you will love flying behind a panel that you built, blue skies,

Hi Steve,

I think it looks great, but since you already have a nice backup on the right side of the screen, I might be included to use the space under the screen for some of the SV modules (like the Auotopilot controller, knob controller, etc..). Even if you don't purchase them now, they would fit there very nicely at some point in the future.

Also, do you already own the "stack"? If not, then I might tweak the individual units (keeping the same overall product functionality).

Other than that, you're on a good path.

Cheers,
Stein

Nice!

Steve....I like it....nice and clean looking:) If you are having an autopilot I agree with the others....I would use the A/P control head instead of having to use the soft keys!

The only other thing is that the nice color paper cutouts look good....but don't work well in the flying portion...you still need to invest in "real" units...or print them out with a 3D printer:D

What do you plan for monitoring the engine/electrical system/fuel ???

Other than that, I like the panel.

Dynon does it all

Mike,

The Dynon will do all that and if you are not on the EMS page it will alert you by voice call and a flashing warning light that something is not right.

Mike,

The Dynon will do all that and if you are not on the EMS page it will alert you by voice call and a flashing warning light that something is not right.

Yep, know that, but I prefer to have engine/fuel/electrical visible all the time, without having to flip/flop a screen. I prefer watching trends than waiting for an alarm.

Looks good

Take a look at the radio stack on the left side and make sure there is enough room for the flanges which extend outward from the trays . These take up some room and you don't want anything to interfere when you remove the panel. I haven't seen a Skyview tray, but you can overlap adjacent flanges with a little creative shimming.

BTW, it seem intuitive that the attitude indicator (EEFIS) be in the exact horizontal center of the panel, but if you have to offset it a bit to the right, you will not notice. Particularly if you use a dual screen mode where the attitude indicator is only part of the screen.

Also, I would give some thought to a storage box somewhere in the cockpit, if not on the panel itself.

-John

Before I order avionics, wanted to get some opinions from the group. Below is my proposed panel. My mission is day/night VFR with IFR capability. Here is my current list:
10" Dynon Skyview
GMA240 audio panel
2 1/4" a/s, alt, compass
TT Gemini PFD for backup

[/URL][/IMG]

I would appreciate comments, suggestions etc, before I uproot whats left of the money tree in the back yard. Thanks in advance.

Steve

THANKS to ALL--

Thanks to everyone for the comments, suggestions etc. A common theme has emerged--remove the steam gauges and add other SK modules--auto pilot for sure. One question-will the magnetic heading indicator in the SV satisfy IFR requirements for a compass?

Regarding engine monitoring, I thought the Skyview would display PFD, MAP, and EMS at the same time (40%,40%,20%). If I'm not understanding this correctly, someone please correct me.

Stein, only thing in the stack that I own is the ICOM A210 (could sell it if need to replace with some other unit). What tweaks would you recommend?

Thanks again,
Steve

if you have to offset it a bit to the right, you will not notice. Particularly if you use a dual screen mode where the attitude indicator is only part of the screen.

John, you are correct--I will shift the radio stack and the Dynon to the right to allow for the mounting flange on the stack. With a 50/50 split screen, it just about places the PFD directly in front of the pilot.

Thanks,

Steve

Regarding engine monitoring, I thought the Skyview would display PFD, MAP, and EMS at the same time (40%,40%,20%). If I'm not understanding this correctly, someone please correct me.

That is correct. You can turn screens on and off, or configure it to always display certain screens (e.g., you can "lock" the PFD so it can't be hidden/turned off).

10" Dynon Skyview
GMA240 audio panel
2 1/4" a/s, alt, compass
TT Gemini PFD for backup

[/URL][/IMG]

Steve

Nice set-up. What modules will you have with the Skyview because that will be a huge factor in what other "stuff" you should have. If you don't get a second ADAHRS module then you shouldn't ditch the steam gauges otherwise you won't know which EFIS is right if they disagree with each other. I think you need the ARINC-429 module to display the GTN650 data on the display. Etc, etc, etc...

:cool:

Last edited:
You need the little ELT switch somewhere. I think the Dynon D1 or D2 pocket panel would make a FAR better backup than the Gemini and/or the steam gauges. Really simplifies things too. Or consider something like a Garmin 496 that has the gauge page as a backup ($$ to keep updated). Get the Dynon ADSB module and AP servos. Both are significant for IFR safety.

Steve.

Before getting rid of the steam gauges you might wish to put them top left/right so that the Guy/Gal in the back can see them unless you're planning a repeater. I had no choice to fit ASI/Alt as it is a requirement in the UK but, that said, I personally use the analogues for normal flying, even though I have thousands of hours on glass.

A few thoughts:
  1. Don't ignore the left/right sub-panels. They can take a 2 1/4" instrument. However, also being "fixed" they are ideal for wiring that does not have to cope with the panel being removed etc.
  2. It is tempting to put any warning lights on the sub-panels, but they are then out of the way. A "row" of wanring lights above the main Dynon screen will always be in your eye view.
  3. Storage is always short in an RV-8. Given the discipline you have shown in a "clean" panel, why not try and fit a map box in (which will hold lots of things, rarely maps!). Looks like you could put one on the right, with a little movement of other items about [ASI as Bob says top left of Dynon, Alt opposite, ADI bottom centre? Compass (which will never be used) one sub-panel?

Thanks

Other items I did not mention earlier: ELT control head-plan to mount it on the right mid cabin cover (already have Hobbs meter and 12v outlet there). Switches for lighting, essentials bus etc are on the right console. I have installed a VPX-Pro, single Dynon ADAHRS, Dynon servos for a/p. I installed one of the large fresh air vents in the left subpanel along with a switch for the boost pump. Master, avionics and mag switches are on the right panel. I may move the compass above these switches. I will add some lights above the Dynon screen for boost pump, oil pressure, alternator etc. I shifted the radio stack and Dynon screen to the right to allow for flange-to-tray mounting angle. I will leave room for future addition of A/P control unit, but believe I will stick with the ICOM & Garmin audio panel. I'll get a pic of the revised placement posted soon. Like many others, I have flown behind glass for quite some time; however, I still like the a/s and alt steam for solid backup devices. Jury still out on the Gemini standby unit. Again, thanks for the comments & suggestions.

One thing to consider ...

If you end up with the available space, moving the switches and fuses/breakers onto the panel will dramatically simplify building your panel and wiring the electrical system.

There is a lot of extra integration when the systems are on the panel and the switches and breakers are on the right side cockpit.

This is a trade-off since "panel" is premium real estate. That said, by moving the switches and fuses/breakers to the panel allows the entire panel to be built and tested with minimal wiring of the aircraft. You can even use a multi-pin CPC for the audio interconnect from panel to airframe.

Hindsight!

One thing to consider ...

That said, by moving the switches and fuses/breakers to the panel allows the entire panel to be built and tested with minimal wiring of the aircraft.

Glen--great idea. If only I had thought about that last year. I already have all the wires from the switches on the console run and connected to the VPX. Would have saved a bunch of copper as well!

Steve

Xponder

Where is the Xponder? Going with the Dynon unit as well?

Transponder will be a Dynon SV261. I fabbbed a mount near the battery in the aft baggage area-wiring is run, antenna is mounted. I plan to delay the purchase until near the very end of the build.

Steve

Panel

Your panel looks Great ! How ever I had trouble with my S.I.R.S. compass mounted on the panel anywhere . So I had to put it on top of the glare shield . Try the compass before you cut the hole is my suggestion . Keep going you are going to Love It ! :D

I had trouble with my S.I.R.S. compass mounted on the panel anywhere . So I had to put it on top of the glare shield . Try the compass before you cut the hole is my suggestion :D

I had also considered locating it on the subpanel above the mag switches, master, avionics master etc. May be too many electrons flying around that area as well. I'll reconsider location. Thanks for your input--

Back