What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Aerolectric All Electric Airplane Pics

N804RV

Well Known Member
Considering the "All Electric Airplane on a budget" design for my RV-8's electrical system. I'm looking for someone who has used this design that can show me pics of their switch and c/b panels. Especially, if its an -8

I know there's plug-n-play products out there. But, being an old "1-wire", I'd like to just do it my self, rather than throw $ at it.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ken

Here is my electrics section of the log and here is my electrical panel

ElecPanel.jpg

hi Bob,

What color reference is your gray ? Do you have a RAL or paint make and ref you can share please.

Symbology and panel layout conventions?

Bob, no offense intended, but I must say I found the design of your electrical panel very confusing. I've never flown an Airbus, so I don't know if your layout and legend design are indeed based on Airbus conventions that I'm just unfamiliar with. But as such, much of the legend symbology and the quasi-schematic layout left me scratching my head. I'm on board with the concept of having the panel design reflect the system layout. But I don't clearly see that in your panel. Much of it seems very ambiguous and/or inconsistent, with high likelihood of misinterpretation. Again, no offense intended. I am genuinely interested in understanding your panel design, if it does follow sensible conventions that I simply don't understand. If this is based on Airbus conventions, is there a document or other reference you can point me to that describes these conventions? Or show some other examples on which this was based?

Bob, not trying to be critical here, but that looks like a quarter-turn fastener on the right-hand panel, in the photo. If so, those should be replaced with similar fasteners that use a screwdriver for the quarter-turn. The reason is that in a crash, they can cause injury.

I'm sure they were convenient during the build, but now it's time to make them safe for flight.

Dave

Hi Bob,

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. Considering the design philosophy for the "all-electric", it makes perfect sense.

I like your glove-box 1/4 turn too! ;)

Bob, not trying to be critical here, but that looks like a quarter-turn fastener on the right-hand panel, in the photo. If so, those should be replaced with similar fasteners that use a screwdriver for the quarter-turn. The reason is that in a crash, they can cause injury.

I'm sure they were convenient during the build, but now it's time to make them safe for flight.

Dave

I guess this would also apply to the key sticking out of the start switch.

Hi Gents.

Jan - BS381 standard code 632 Dark Admiralty Grey

Roee - If you look at the Aerolecetric Diagram Z 13 for the All Electric Airplane I think you'll find it makes sense. It follows no convention or standard I merely am laying out the electrical system in simple form - I didn't need to it I just wanted to. The "B" is the battery contactor and the "S" the starter solenoid. The CB's represent the alternators/starter motor and the battery switch represents the battery. In service it works without any issues so far and certainly no misinterpretation as its so simple.

Dave - The 1/4 turn is the supplied fitting from Vans for the glove box which I use on every flight - so not replacing with a screw - its all about risk versus practicality.

Ken - Glad I helped you out :)

Back