-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-22-2022, 09:31 PM

I would like to post pictures on my post. Can someone please tell me how to do that?
Old 06-22-2022, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
I would like to post pictures on my post. Can someone please tell me how to do that?
When you start your message there is a paperclip icon at the top next to a smiley face.
1. Click the icon.
2. Browse for and select the photo(s) you want to insert as the attachment(s).
3. Upload photo(s). (Repeat steps 2 and 3 for multiple photos.)
4. Close the window when you have finished uploading.
5. Click on the paperclip again to manage the attachments.
6. Choose the photo(s) you want to attach. They will be inserted into the body of your text with a [ATTACH]XXXXX[/ATTACH]. You can then add them to the end or insert them in between paragraphs, etc.
7. Hit submit reply to post.

If you want to add a link to a photo then you can use the Insert link icon (world with a link) under the smiley face. Be careful of Doug's rules when posting from a non-advertiser or outside web site. See his rules here so not to get into any trouble.
Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill

Last edited by pazmanyflyer : 06-22-2022 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Pictures must be in your computer file.
Click on this paper clip...
Click image for larger version

Name:	paperclip.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	27376

Click on choose a file...

Name:	choose a file.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	27377

Click on the picture file and click open.
Click upload. File will display....

Name:	file will show.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	27378

Repeat for all pictures you want in the post.
Click on the post page location to clear the screen.
Type your message. Then place curser where you want
the picture. Click the paper clip again.

Name:	set pic.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	27379

The files will show up. Pick the file you want in that spot.

Name:	place pic.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	27380

The attached file will look like this.....

Name:	should look like this.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	27381

Now, preview your post....

Name:	preview of the post.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	27382
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2022 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 06-23-2022, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Ok, On this mornings flight I tried to duplicate some of the other RV9 cruise flight numbers.
At 8k ft and 150KTAS it was indicating 8.9GPH. at best RPM and manifold pressure which was 6300 RPM and 35.7INHg.
At 10k ft and 150KTAS it was indicating 8.5 GPH and 6300 , 35.3INHg.
Important to note that at these cruise numbers the AFR is still only 12.9-13. so there is much leaning to go in the tune at these manifold pressures. Also we are still tweaking on the fuel flow computer calcs each flight.
Perhaps of some importance is the above numbers represents about 20MPG (no winds). At the end of the last few flights I have drained the fuel and looked at total miles covered and it averages about 21MPG. That seems pretty good considering on the 1 hour flight I climbed to at least 12kft. Yes, I get some back on the glide descent but not equal.
In the end though my goal wasnt to try to get better fuel economy than the standard aircraft engine I think they do a great job of already.
With the big bore Lyc's, we are getting good fuel economy by running lean. These engines are turning low RPMs, so easy to get very lean. In the 10, I am cruising mostly at 50-75* LOP, which is probably about 17:1 or a bit less. Given you are turning higher RPMs and possibly can't get as lean, there may be better economy by running 15:1 with the higher speed. Not sure how lean you can get with 35" of MAP though. On my porsche boxer engine with turbo, I go quite lean in the tables with the closed loop mode, but it is in cruising condition at lower RPMs with no real boost involved. Never tried getting less than 12.5:1 on the 8 PSI of boost. Too scarry and not worth it for me as, unlike the plane in cruise, I don't spend great deals of time there. I would be quite cautious about anything below 13:1 when boosted. That said, I have no real experience to offer. Do you have an electronically controllable waste gate? Maybe an idea is to drop the boost way down and try lean settings at cruise. Lower RPMs with a coarser pitch may be a benefit given the limited blade area you referenced.

One thing I do know is that each combustion chamber design has different characteristics that limit AFR and advance, so be sure your tuner has experience with this engine if he is recommending AFRs lower than 13:1 on 35" of MAP. leaner AFR's can get things pretty hot at high MAPs. When speaking of pistons and rings, heat kills. Then again, many engines designed for high boost applications have pretty low dynamic compression ratios and therefore aren't producing a lot of heat at low boost levels and therefore don't need excess fuel there. Devil is in the details.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 06-23-2022 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:10 AM

I'd generally agree with Larry here on leaning too far with this high specific output engine. Unless it has oil jetted, forged pistons, the heat flux into the piston crowns and upper ring land areas may make for short life when running near stoich.

Most automotive engines (also relatively high specific output) typically run in the 11 to 1 range at high power settings to keep the pistons alive.

A Lyc at 75% only has a specific output of 23hp/L. This engine would be at 135hp/L to match an O-360- almost 6 times the specific output.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 460.7 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 06-23-2022 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:31 AM

Larry and Ross, Thank you for the advice.
The engine does have oil squirters cooling the pistons but I am not sure if they are forged.
The only comparative engine that I have data on is the fuel injected Rotax 912. I communicate often with Thomas Hauklien the owner of edge performance. They make an after market EFI and turbo system for these engines. He claims they run 1500-1550F on EGT's at cruise power settings and AFR of 14.5-14.9.
Currently I am at 1430-1450 at cruise power settings. I definitely will be proceeding with caution
Old 06-24-2022, 11:56 AM

Good stuff. Kudos for putting the "E" back in Experimental. A most interesting project.

We're all hoping it lasts well and could pave the way for a few more wishing for something different up front.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 460.7 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 07-31-2022, 10:33 AM

Teal,
I looked at this at Oshkosh and it's very impressive. I'm interested in knowing the outcome of the prop issue you experienced with the airmaster. Have you considered a four blade prop to gain the extra surface area you where referring to in previous post? How are you controlling boost. I have so many questions but I will leave them for another time. Thanks for your work paving the path less followed.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:54 PM

A local builder put a similar, non-turbo'd Yahama on his CH701 using a belted reduction drive. Throttle response was almost silly-fast and the power output was impressive. Visually these engines appear to be of very high quality. These are amazing engines and, if we can get the bugs worked out, likely represent one of the brightest spots in "non-aviation" engine conversions.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Larry and Ross, Thank you for the advice.
The engine does have oil squirters cooling the pistons but I am not sure if they are forged...
According to this article, the pistons are forged.