What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap fairing challenge

REDII

Hopefully you guys can help me off the ledge on this one. I have not seen a whole lot of posts regarding the flap fairings so I hope my issue isn’t unique.

I have fitted the wings and adjusted the flaps to the ailerons and match drilled the fairing to the longerons. After a considerable amount of massaging to get the trailing edge of the fairing to wrap around the belly of the fuselage I got to the point where I felt comfortable match drilling the holes in my fuselage skins. Immediately it became apparent that the flat edge of the fairing was not going to sit tight against the curved skin but figured it would be pulled in with the riveting. Long story shorter; I have gaps opening between the edge of the fairing and the fuselage and wrinkles where it was riveted. I also have very short shop heads in places. Both structurally and aesthetically I feel that I have come up short.

At this point I see my options are to replace the fairing and hope the second time is the charm or try to live with it; which will drive me nuts. I would really love moving past this phase of the build and get the floors in.

My question to you guys is one, are these issues common, and two, anyone ever replace the aluminum fairings with glass? I am thinking that if I converted them to fiberglass I could blind rivet them in place after the wings are permanently attached, creating a nicer fit and seal the fairing to the fuselage. Thanks.

QB RV8
Wings pretty much done
Fuselage with gear almost on
IO 360 waiting to be hung
Dues paid

I’m new to posting pictures. Hope this works.

Attachments

• 26B60186-F789-48CC-9DBD-56ADCCB06208.jpg
    26B60186-F789-48CC-9DBD-56ADCCB06208.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 328
  • 9110F016-9B97-4EA2-83E9-AADC2DEDDA95.jpg
    9110F016-9B97-4EA2-83E9-AADC2DEDDA95.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 391
  • E39661E5-AB89-4505-82BC-46EDD5A5F8F2.jpg
    E39661E5-AB89-4505-82BC-46EDD5A5F8F2.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 337

At this point I see my options are to replace the fairing and hope the second time is the charm or try to live with it; which will drive me nuts. I would really love moving past this phase of the build and get the floors in.

It's been a long time since I did this, but I don't recall it being too complex. I have some pictures here, but not much detail.

http://www.rv8.ch/flap-fairings/

I have to say that looking at yours it seems like something is not quite right. It could be an illusion since they are very shiny. The right one seems to be pinched at the end. I have a non-pre-punched fuselage, so that might be a difference.

Hopefully someone who has done this recently with the same kit as you can chime in, but based on what I see, I'd order new parts and give it another try, perhaps with lots more duct tape or a helper. No way I'd try to replace this part with fiberglass.

I had similar issues with the aluminum fairings. Threw them away and layed up fibreglass on modelling clay. Weird thing though - I never minded fiberglass work. There was nothing you screwed up that couldn't be fixed.

Left Flap Fairing Finished.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Ironically, I am a legitimate sculptor but find working aluminum to my will a challenge. I honestly think fiberglass will be better suited to my expertise. Thanks again for the words of encouragement.

Some pictures

Here are some pictures I took today after flying. Not sure if they can help or not, but here they are.

IMG_4351.jpg

IMG_4350.jpg

IMG_4348.jpg

IMG_4347.jpg

IMG_4346.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4343.jpg

Thanks for sharing examples of your flap fairings. It helps considerably to have a reference for what they are supposed to look like.

Back